Confused about annulment

I am a divorced non-catholic interested in attending RCIA classes and converting.
I was married to a man who turned alcoholic and abusive. We divorced and I re-married a catholic man in a non-denominational ceremony 3 years ago. I want to share in my husbands faith and I want my husband to be able to take communion.

My problem lies in the annulment process. My ex is unstable and dangerous. I do not want him to know anything about my life or my whereabouts. Everything I’ve read about the annulment process indicates that he will have to be contacted if I file for annulment.
Is there a way around this? I’m sure I can’t be the only person whose been in a situation like this.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

[quote="leelee128, post:1, topic:217790"]
IMy problem lies in the annulment process. My ex is unstable and dangerous. I do not want him to know anything about my life or my whereabouts. Everything I've read about the annulment process indicates that he will have to be contacted if I file for annulment.

Is there a way around this? I'm sure I can't be the only person whose been in a situation like this.

[/quote]

(a) Any contact made regarding the nullity process is done by the Tribunal, not by you. Your ex will have **no **access to your personally identifying information like address or phone, etc. Nor is he required to participate. You merely give the Tribunal the last known address information you have. They will make a good faith effort to contact him, but if he doesn't respond or they can't locate him, the process can continue without him.

(b) You can file the petition in either the diocese in which the marriage took place or the diocese you live in now, if they are different.

(c) If there are extenuating circumstances regarding the ex, you need to tell the Tribunal up front so they are prepared to handle the situation.

Take things one step at a time. First, meet with the priest and discuss your situation. Let the Tribunal handle things, they do this professionally and have dealt with all kinds of situations.

1ke answered it well - good luck, God bless, and welcome home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.