Confused about Convalidation

My husband and I are currently in RCIA. My understanding was that our marriage would have to be Convalidated, since I was baptized Catholic as a baby and my husband was not. We were not married in the Church.

I asked our RCIA leader about it and she said we don't need to do this. I guess I'm confused. And I'm worried we're going to get close to Easter and not be able to be Confirmed because of our marriage.

Any advice would be helpful... Thanks!

Abrigham
I think that you need to speak directly to your priest as soon as possible about this. When you ask him, may I suggest that you do not mention your RCIA leader's response before you speak to him about your marriage. In this way the issue isn't clouded, and he isn't put in a difficult position, but you may need to tell him about what was said afterwards, so that he can educate her on Canon Law regarding the matter.

togetherforlifeonline.com/wedding/convalidation/

May God abundantly bless your husband and you.

Abrigham, my understanding is the same as yours -- someone baptized Catholic must follow Catholic marriage laws. Since you weren't married in the Church your marriage would need to be convalidated.

Speak with your pastor. He will be in the best position to guide you.

I agree, talk to the priest. My husband was raised Catholic, I wasn't. When I went through RCIA 5 years ago, we had to have the marriage convalidated because he was Catholic.

[quote="Abrigham, post:1, topic:303688"]
My husband and I are currently in RCIA. My understanding was that our marriage would have to be Convalidated, since I was baptized Catholic as a baby and my husband was not. We were not married in the Church.

I asked our RCIA leader about it and she said we don't need to do this. I guess I'm confused. And I'm worried we're going to get close to Easter and not be able to be Confirmed because of our marriage.

[/quote]

Your RCIA instructor is simply wrong.

You need to talk to your priest about convalidation. Do not delay. This should be no problem provided neither of you has a previous marriage.

[/quote]

Its possible you RCIA coordinator was confused or didn't know the details. Either way, Trishie's advice here, as usual, is good advice!

[quote="Trishie, post:2, topic:303688"]
Abrigham
I think that you need to speak directly to your priest as soon as possible about this. When you ask him, may I suggest that you do not mention your RCIA leader's response before you speak to him about your marriage. In this way the issue isn't clouded, and he isn't put in a difficult position, but you may need to tell him about what was said afterwards, so that he can educate her on Canon Law regarding the matter.

togetherforlifeonline.com/wedding/convalidation/

May God abundantly bless your husband and you.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Thank you all! We will definitely talk to our priest!

[/quote]

Per canon law, you are Catholic because you were baptized Catholic.

Per canon law, a Catholic can not be married outside the church except with the prior permission of the bishop. In general, only Bishops, Priests, and Deacons of the Catholic Churches (any of the churches in union with Rome) may be the church's witness of a marriage (CIC 1108) - exceptions in case of need can be granted for a layperson to do so, but not for a non-Orthodox and non-Catholic minister.

So, unless you were in a region without a Catholic parish, then your civil marriage is a non-sacramental one.

Per canon law, when a Catholic is in a non-sacramental marriage, and wishes the church to recognize their marriage, the proper action is convalidation.

[quote="Aramis, post:8, topic:303688"]
Per canon law, you are Catholic because you were baptized Catholic.

Per canon law, a Catholic can not be married outside the church except with the prior permission of the bishop. In general, only Bishops, Priests, and Deacons of the Catholic Churches (any of the churches in union with Rome) may be the church's witness of a marriage (CIC 1108) - exceptions in case of need can be granted for a layperson to do so, but not for a non-Orthodox and non-Catholic minister.

So, unless you were in a region without a Catholic parish, *then your civil marriage is a non-sacramental one. *

Per canon law, when a Catholic is in a non-sacramental marriage, and wishes the church to recognize their marriage, the proper action is convalidation.

[/quote]

If everything is straightforward, hers is not only non-sacramental, it's invalid. Convalidation deals with validity, not sacramentality. She could have her marriage convalidated and still have a non-sacramental marriage - that depends on her spouse's baptismal status.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.