Confused about Death and Resurrection

While at the removal and the funeral of my Grandad, I heard a few unsettling things. I’ve tried to remember exactly what was said to no avail but it sounded an awful lot like the Bible was saying people stay dead until the resurrection. And when I was reading up to try and find out more about this, I read that the same bodies we have today will be the ones we have when we die but a lot of old bodies are dust and it also means that elderly, frail people and amputees will be resurrected frail or missing limbs.

So I was wondering do any of you know where I can find verses that confirm that when people die they do to Heaven, Hell or Purgatory when they die? And possibly that when we get resurrected, we get improved bodies?

Well, I do not ave verses on the top of my head, but I will come back once i look up some. And the soul goes immediatley to heaven, hell, or purgatory. But the BODY stays dead, until resurrection. I will look up verses and return.

No. “Soul sleep” is not a teaching of the Catholic Church.

S. Paul said that “absent from the body” is present with our LORD (2 Co 5).

Souls cannot sleep anyhow. Sleep is a body function; only BODIES can sleep.

And when I was reading up to try and find out more about this, I read that the same bodies we have today will be the ones we have when we die but a lot of old bodies are dust and it also means that elderly, frail people and amputees will be resurrected frail or missing limbs.

No. In 1 Co 15, S. Paul compares our human bodies to “seeds.”

The seed planter does not sow “the body that shall be,” but a seed body, literally. The new plant is the “body” that comes up.

So when a human body goes into the ground, is the seed of a new body, spiritual body, pneumatikon soma. Pneumatikon soma does not depend on the old body being intact. The old body is just the seed-body.

So I was wondering do any of you know where I can find verses that confirm that when people die they do to Heaven, Hell or Purgatory when they die? And possibly that when we get resurrected, we get improved bodies?

2 Co 5 “absent from the body”

1 Co 15 sown in weakness raised in power
Sown in lowliness raised in glory
Sown a natural body [biological or “human body”], raised a spiritual
body [pneumatikon soma].

There is no sense of time or waiting for the spiritual body, because time is physical, measured off by our thoughts, pulse, breathing, etc. You will roll your eyes back in death, and open them as a BODY who is alive forever.

ICXC NIKA.

Saint Paul tells us that we will be raised, just as Christ was raised. Jesus was beaten to a bloody pulp and nailed to tree. When he was raised, he still born the scars of the nails, but was otherwise healed.

However, Jesus was dead for three days, and when we die, we will be dead until we rise. The Apostle’s Creed elaborates, that Christ Died, and descended into “Hell”. Before Christ died, everyone went to “Hell”, until Christ went down and freed those who lived just lives, and allowed them to enter Heaven. It is generally understood that the just did not suffer while waiting for Christ to come.

St Paul states:

…our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, who will reform the body of our lowness, made like to the body of his glory… (Phil. 3:20-21)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification or immediately, – or immediate and everlasting damnation.

The Roman Catechism (A.D. 1566) states:

[T]he body, when raised from the dead, although substantially the same body that had been dead, shall be vastly different and changed in its condition. …] [T]ranscendent endowments … will ennoble them far beyond their former condition. mpassibility … shall place them beyond the reach of suffering anything disagreeable or of being affected by pain or inconvenience of any sort…

The same body but glorified; no pain, but eternal bliss.
Whatever we love here will be made perfect and beautiful.

We do not know what God has in store for his creation, but I am sure it will be beyond our belief.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.