Confused about Sunday Mass due to inclement weather

It's kind of late here, so any responses I can get before tomorrow morning at 11 would be helpful.

We had some snow pour in here all day Friday, and my parish definitely cancelled the Saturday Vigil Mass. I'm confused tho, as to whether or not Sunday Masses are canceled. On the local news website, all it says about my parish is "Service Canceled; Sunday Morning: Faith Formation Canceled" - and that was submitted to the news agency at 5 PM this evening.

For the other parishes in the city, one has no listing and the other has canceled Faith Formation classes.

There's nothing on the parish voicemail or website stating anything about cancellations. So, do I try to go? Do I go to one of the other parishes?

It's just weird when nearly every other church in the city has cancelled services, but the Catholic Churches leave it up to your conscience, common sense and driving ability to figure out if you should go.

Try giving the parish a call early in the morning. They may have updated the message.

Our Archbishop reminded us in a press release that when travel is dangerous, the obligation is lifted.

On another thread, FrDavid96 shared his criteria: If you can make it to the mall, the restaurant, the movies or the soccer game, you can make it to Mass.

I think the parishes have Mass anyway because (1) the Mass is infinitely valuable to the whole Church and (2) because the priest usually lives there anyway and he can celebrate Mass.

I live on a narrow side street with cars parked on both sides. The City will not have plowed by Mass time, so I’m going to settle in with my copy of Magnificat and not worry about going out. Shoot, I probably won’t go out until Christmas Eve now! Our car is in the shop and we’re driving my father-in-law’s car. If anybody’s going to wreck it, it’s NOT going to be me! Let the son (DH) have the accident! :eek:

Betsy

I just texted a friend, who confirmed no Masses at my parish tomorrow.

So now I have to decide if I can make it to the other parish in town safely.

If you can't get to Mass for any reason, you can't get to Mass.

Nobody is asking you to endanger not only your own life but that of innocent passers-by in the act of trying to get to Mass if there's a big snowstorm!

Well, we’re having a major storm here right now as well. My understanding is that Mass should be the last place that one does not go. Meaning, that if one is able to go any place else, one is also able to go to Mass.

That said, I’m not sure if my family should be going tomorrow. My wife tends to be over cautious with driving in bad weather and I tend to be under cautious in that regard.

The rule I was taught, and continue to personally follow, is that anything that would legitimately excuse a person from school or work excuses them from Sunday Mass. If the weather is bad enough to cancel school, or so bad that you would physically not be able to make it to work, you are excused from Mass.

A parish with a resident pastor rarely if ever "cancels" Mass because the priest is still there to offer the Mass, even if the parishioners are dispensed from their obligation to attend.

[quote="Epistemes, post:3, topic:180342"]
So now I have to decide if I can make it to the other parish in town safely.

[/quote]

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:4, topic:180342"]
Nobody is asking you to endanger not only your own life but that of innocent passers-by in the act of trying to get to Mass if there's a big snowstorm!

[/quote]

Please stay home. Aren't your public officials pleading with people to stay off the roads?

Betsy

My pastor once said that, in our parish, Mass will never be cancelled (unless he is in a location away from church and can’t make it back) due to snow. He will always celebrate Mass even if no one else is there. However, we need to determine for ourselves if we can safely make to Mass, but he does not want anyone to risk their safety to come.

that is what my associate pastor said when I called him earlier – “mass is never cancelled.” but area parishes either cancelled some masses or all masses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.