Confused and Afraid

Recently I stopped attending a small Charismatic church I was heavily involved in. After study and even prayer I have not been going and have started attending a Catholics Come Home class. I havent told any of my friends from Church and they are concerned. I am sooo frightened to spill the beans because Catholicism is almost anti-christ in most charismatic circles and protestants. I had to remove a bracelet with saint icons on it at church one Sunday because a good friend of mine told me it was demonic. It doesn’t feel the same when I hang out with them anymore. Also I feel like a sinner in all that I say and do because I still don’t fully agree yet with some things that the Catholic Church teaches. The only people who support me are the majority of my co-workers, my family, and my girlfriend. I also don’t really know what I even believe at this point. I still trust in Jesus. I have also been praying to St Jude and praying the prayer of John Merton. I’m scared and some days feel so alone. I feel like I have failed. What should I do? I know I need to have a serious talk with my friends as to whats going on because my real friends will stick with me.

I think you need to do what is right for you.
With prayer and studying the Catholic faith more that will become apparent.
Don't let people who try and put fear into you stand in your way from what you want.
Stay with people who support you. I'm sure you will find over time you will make more supportive friends, they could be Catholic, or not..
But you have to do what is best for yourself and what feels right for you.
You will get plenty of support here, also maybe speak to a Priest about these concerns.
God bless you :gopray:

[quote="SeekerOfFaith20, post:1, topic:313623"]
Recently I stopped attending a small Charismatic church I was heavily involved in. After study and even prayer I have not been going and have started attending a Catholics Come Home class. I havent told any of my friends from Church and they are concerned. I am sooo frightened to spill the beans because Catholicism is almost anti-christ in most charismatic circles and protestants. I had to remove a bracelet with saint icons on it at church one Sunday because a good friend of mine told me it was demonic. It doesn't feel the same when I hang out with them anymore. Also I feel like a sinner in all that I say and do because I still don't fully agree yet with some things that the Catholic Church teaches. The only people who support me are the majority of my co-workers, my family, and my girlfriend. I also don't really know what I even believe at this point. I still trust in Jesus. I have also been praying to St Jude and praying the prayer of John Merton. I'm scared and some days feel so alone. I feel like I have failed. What should I do? I know I need to have a serious talk with my friends as to whats going on because my real friends will stick with me.

[/quote]

I hope you get lots of advice and prayers. You are fortunate to have your co-workers, family, and girlfriend supporting you. Many people do not have that kind of support.
Keep praying. I am new to this as well. But yes, your real friends will stick by you.

I’m a convert. I too experienced strong anti-catholic christians when searching for the right church. I remember a prayer that used to comfort me that the grace of God put in my heart to know for sure I was on the right path. I used to first try to humble myself the best I knew how, then I prayed " Almighty God, Father, Son Jesus Christ my Lord, Savior, Redeemer, Holy Spirit; I will go to which ever Church you want me to go to. Should I be a Baptist? Should I be a Lutheran? etc. Is the Catholic Church the one true church that you Lord Jesus started? Guide me, show me, lead me. I will go to any Church as long as it’s The Truth. My own mother tried to persuade me from the Catholic Church telling me that people didn’t like me anymore since I became “religious”. I rejoiced for being persecuted for Jesus’ sake. I believe you can rejoice as well. When your “friends” try to make you feel guilty, judge you, & tell you lies about Christ’s true Church, rejoice & be glad. And welcome home. :slight_smile:

Jesus please gently protect and lead this sincere person to the fullness of truth.

Please send Your Holy Spirit to console and strengthen, enlighten and encourage this dear child of Your heart.

i will add you to my prayers. Dont be confused or afraid. if they are really your friends they will still accept you. you should not be embarrassed to wear your bracelet, it sounds like a nice one and you are not alone. there are many of us out here struggling with protestants that differ in views. i love that the Catholic Church recognizes sister religions that have the same Triune God, yet, it amazes me that some protestant groups (i was raised in one) do not feel or accept that Catholics are brothers and sisters in Christ.

It's normal to feel confused, scared, and alone when you're in transition. I suggest that you move slowly while you finish the class. Stay close to those who support you and use the time to deepen your trust in Jesus.

[quote="detoutcoeur, post:7, topic:313623"]
It's normal to feel confused, scared, and alone when you're in transition. I suggest that you move slowly while you finish the class. Stay close to those who support you and use the time to deepen your trust in Jesus.

[/quote]

Just to add a prayer I like by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta:

"If you ever feel distressed during your day, call upon Our Lady. Just say this simple prayer:
Mary, Mother of Jesus, please be a mother to me now.**

I must admit, this prayer has never failed me."

Sounds like its time to leave your former church behind. Those from your old church will not be supportive of your position, so just let them be. You have chosen the Church, just trust in Christ and move forward in faith one step at a time.

Prayers said for you.

Talk with your friends brother, you see the great thing about the Catholic Church is we are always praying for each other even if we don't know who that person is. Mary has made that very clear. You are never alone remember that. There are charismatic groups in the Catholic Church to

I have been in your situation I had to cut all ties from the people in my former church which was pentecostal but God gave me the strength and I made new friends in my Catholic journey I have been Catholic for over twenty years now.

You have been involved in a church that you do not believe in. You are troubled by that. The good thing is you realize it and been back to the Catholic Church.

You did the right thing. Cutting yourself off from a group or thing that you have been doing is difficult and there may be colateral damage. You can expect that. Let move on and be determined that you have made a correct decision no matter how hard it is for you to adapt to. Consider the involvment as the thing of the past that you left behind. You will find God in the Catholic Church and he will give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.