Confused/frustrated

Just before December I found myself almost driving myself crazy looking for a job for my husband. I was on the net all the time, looking constantly when I’d get home from work. I actually found myself stressed out.Well one night I heard this voice say stop it. Let it go, stop looking and something good will happen after the first of the year. Well I did. I stopped. Well it ended up that my husband found a job in the ads. He applied for it. About 148 people applied for it. He was one of the 8 that was interviewed . It would have been a GREAT job. I was faithfully praying and hoping that voice that I heard was the Holy Spirit. I felt like I had signs that this was going to be it. I really felt good about everything. I man that had worked at the place before called and said that he didn’t know my husband but he had heard that he was a really good man, so feel free to call him back and use his name as a reference. I dropped to my knees and prayed to God. Crying too. I was so sure this was going to happen. It didn’t happen. The day we found out he didn’t get it I found myself crying in bed. Then I felt like I knew what a child felt like when the “Father” told them no. I have tried to get over it. But I’m just confused. I know God wants good things for us and this would have been Great! We have no health insurance and it’s scary. We would have had it with this job. Now I feel like it wasn’t the Holy Spirit talking to me it was just wishful thinking. I feel stupid. :(:mad::shrug::confused:

Dear Jean

Be happy you just feel stupid and aren’t stupid like me.
Your efforts won’t go in vain. God will provide for you like a good father. Don’t worry.
Pray to St Joseph who had to provide for the holy family. It’s his feast day this thurs so pray hard on that day especially. Go to mass if you can that day. St Teresa of Avila said he never refused her a single thing she asked. Not one. His prayers are very powerful.
I’ll pray for you too. Especially on thurs.

And a big welcome to the forums to you.

God bless and peace to you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

God, our Father, I turn to you seeking your divine help and guidance as I look for suitable employment. I need your wisdom to guide my footsteps along the right path, and to lead me to find the proper things to say and do in this quest. I wish to use the gifts and talents you have given me, but I need the opportunity to do so with gainful employment. Do not abandon me, dear Father, in this search, but rather grant me this favor I seek so that I may return to you with praise and thanksgiving for your gracious assistance. Grant this through Christ, our Lord.

Amen*

Don’t feel stupid. Get ahead; move on, and put this behind you. You and your husband should continue to search for jobs, in hopes for another chance.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

i know somewhat how you feel… or maybe a LOT how you feel because i have been there as far as praying for something, even feeling i had seen “signs” that my prayers would be answered only to have something totally different happen… something i did NOT like!!! (at first) …

but in hindsight, a lot of times when this has happened (I want to say EVERY time this has happened) it has later turned out to have been the best… not only because of the things I learned … but in other ways…

I think a lot of Christians think that if they are good Christians and do things “right” God will bless them with all the $ and whatever else they want… I used to think this because used to be involved w/ Protestnats who believed it!!! And it is very hard getting that idea out of one’s head…

I’ m wondering if you spend much time at the Blessed Sacrament (Real PResence)?
Things always look totally different There than when out in the world, where everything seems so anti-Christ… I like to go There & just listen… try to clear the cobwebs out of the mind… but when in total silence, it takes only about 20 min or so… to clear a good portion of them… and … well, it is SO hard to explain what all happens There…

(I underline stuff to make it easier to find things… not necessarily for emphasis)

anyway, will keep you in my prayers…

11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
I’m not usually comfortable with taking a few lines out of scripture but feel that this may be what the Lord is asking of you, when things like this happen it’s hard to accept, but knowing we can trust our Lord helps us to carry our crosses. The Lord knows our needs and will provide though it may not always be in the way we desire. Trust in Him and pray and be patient. When going through a similar situation I found comfort in the Lord through the scriptures and especially Matthew 6;25-34
Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life**?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.**

“JeanKay” I’m so sorry for the frustration that you and your husband must be feeling. :console:

Hang in there. Sometimes, Our Good Lord does “test” us, a little. Perhaps to help us grow in faith. You will never be disappointed, when you place your full trust in Him. .

One practical suggestion I can offer. Our diocese is offering a job/employment workshop which is held at various parishes. At the workshops, applicants can come and bring their resumes. They also get practical tips from employers and a chance to brush up on work skills.

Perhaps you could check with your parish office… to see if your diocese is doing something similar?

God bless you both… welcome to CAF… and please, let us know what happens.

MarieVeronica :slight_smile:

Your post is over a month old, so maybe by now your husband has a job, but I’ll post anyway.

The spiritual battle can be quite cruel. I’ve had heaps of “spiritual experiences” but I don’t trust many of them. At first glance, there is no way of knowing whether a particular experience is from God or the devil. God can also be very frustrating, with all due respect. I don’t cop the “He allows bad things to happen” bit. I think sometimes He actively wills them to happen, again with all due respect. God can’t mean an evil action to be used for good, as in Joseph’s case with his brothers, unless His own will is actively involved.

In your case however, I’m wondering if you use the community of praying together enough. Maybe if you kept in mind “where two or more are gathered together in my name, I am there also” (rough quote). In other words, maybe you could gather with other praying Catholics and pray this issue through, rather than taking it all on yourself.

The other thing is that faith can be demanding. I’ve had a great deal of frustration in my life, mainly in the vocational sense (or lack of it). I’ve also experienced a lot of damage at the hands of other people. Mind you I’ve done my own fair share. God expects faith to keep going in the bad times as well as the good. In fact, I suspect He sends the bad times to toughen our faith.

I think it was a quote by Alexander Solshenitysyn in one of his books, where he was in a group of men, on their way to a gulag in Siberia, who commented that he had reached a situation where nothing on earth could stop his faith. It was VERY HARD to attain, but once he had reached that stage, nothing on earth could destroy it.

I’m not at that stage, and neither are you by the sound of it. But maybe the time will come where we both might be.

This is a link to something Mark Mallett wrote recently. I have been struggling myself and this reassured my personal beliefs. We must follow the Lord and as it says in Romans 12;9-13 9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. **12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. **13Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

markmallett.com/blog/?p=859

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.