Confused on an issue, Need Help

I remember hearing that God created the universe in 6 days (correct me if im wrong)…

I’m just wondering if the universe was created in this short amount of time, then why is it still growing? If the universe was created in this short amount of time then why over the span of 2000 years is the universe STILL gowing.

I’ve read that scientists have instruments that prove the universe is still expanding and if this is true wouldn’t it conflict with the idea that the WHOLE universe was created in 6 days if it has not yet even stopped growing?

There are many ways to answer this. I will offer two:

Many theologians don’t believe that a “day” in God’s time is the same as a literal 24-hour period of human time (especially since God dwells outside of time altogether). The writer of Genesis was expressing the idea that God’s Creation developed in stages, and expressed this (scientifically sound) principle in language that we could relate to.

Others say that maybe God DID create the universe in a short timeframe (as humans understand time) but created it with properties that presumed some prior state. For example: could God create a bullet traveling a certain vector at a certain speed, but never have created the gun that fired it? We may observe the bullet and say, “a gun on a reciprocal vector must have fired it” but that may not be true - God could have created the bullet in motion, as if it had been fired (maybe God wanted to skip the introduction and get right to the good stuff).

By this same token, one could claim that dinosaurs never really existed. Sure we have fossils - but couldn’t God have created an earth that included dinosaur fossils? (I’m not saying this is *plausible - *only that it is possible).

[quote=Steven87]I remember hearing that God created the universe in 6 days (correct me if im wrong)…

I’m just wondering if the universe was created in this short amount of time, then why is it still growing? If the universe was created in this short amount of time then why over the span of 2000 years is the universe STILL gowing.

I’ve read that scientists have instruments that prove the universe is still expanding and if this is true wouldn’t it conflict with the idea that the WHOLE universe was created in 6 days if it has not yet even stopped growing?
[/quote]

We have to remember that the Scriptures are written on different levels. CCC (scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a3.htm)

115 According to an ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two *senses *of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses. The profound concordance of the four senses guarantees all its richness to the living reading of Scripture in the Church.

116 The literal sense is the meaning conveyed by the words of Scripture and discovered by exegesis, following the rules of sound interpretation: “All other senses of Sacred Scripture are based on the literal.”

117 The spiritual sense. Thanks to the unity of God’s plan, not only the text of Scripture but also the realities and events about which it speaks can be signs.

1. The allegorical sense. We can acquire a more profound understanding of events by recognizing their significance in Christ; thus the crossing of the Red Sea is a sign or type of Christ’s victory and also of Christian Baptism.

2. The moral sense. The events reported in Scripture ought to lead us to act justly. As St. Paul says, they were written “for our instruction”.

3. The anagogical sense (Greek: anagoge, “leading”). We can view realities and events in terms of their eternal significance, leading us toward our true homeland: thus the Church on earth is a sign of the heavenly Jerusalem.

118 A medieval couplet summarizes the significance of the four senses: The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith;
The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny.

While it is possible God created the universe in six days literally, God could easily have chosen to guide evolution of the universe over 6 eons. An excellent source is “In the Beginning” a compilation of homilies given by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI):slight_smile: addressing the Creation accounts. The literal translation has fallen out of favor even within the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.

On the growing part, scientists cannot definitively prove that the universe is expanding. While science and theoretical math can point to this, individuals cannot be 100% certain it is taking place. Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Steven87]I’m just wondering if the universe was created in this short amount of time, then why is it still growing?
[/quote]

The contention that a created thing cannot grow is absurd.

– Mark L. Chance.

[quote=mlchance]The contention that a created thing cannot grow is absurd.

– Mark L. Chance.
[/quote]

Mark has a point. Why make Theology and Science be opposed where they don’t have to be???This is dangerous from both sides of the equation. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=Steven87]I remember hearing that God created the universe in 6 days (correct me if im wrong)…

[/quote]

Yes the universe is still expanding
And it is far older than 2000 years
BUT
The amount of time or the method doesn’t matter
They are immaterial to the story
The point is that God created it

Created things grow all the time. God created everything in heaven and on the earth. He created plants and animals and humans, all of which grow as they age. Does it not follow then, that the universe could grow too? God created the world to evolve/grow like children.

Just my :twocents:.

Where do we read that God created the universe in 6 days?

Not in Genesis chapter 1.

verse 1 tells us God created the heavens and the earth.

verse 2 tells us the earth was “void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep”.

Even if we take things utterly literally, these things are the past and present before God says “Let there be light” as the start of what would be traditionally thought of as day one. So even if we take the verses as literal truth it turns out that the age of the universe is never even hinted at here. (That isn’t to imply that I take it all utterly literally!)

If you want something great to read I recommend Scott Hahn’s “A Father Who Keeps His Promises”. I’m currently reading it and what he says about the opening chapters of Genesis is fascinating and enlightening.

I certainly believe God created everything in 6 days!
It is in the Bible, and it is sufficient proof!
There is an implication that the universe is infinite,
nobody can prove it.
I was thinking, maybe the universe started to expand when Adam sinned away from God. The universe could have been fixed and stabled before then. I dunno, just a theory.

Remember that our concept of a day is 24 hours based on the earth’s rotation. (And the earth probably had a faster rotation at earlier points in its history.) “In the beginning” there was no earth, so what does the concept of one day mean in that context? The author of Genesis certainly didn’t think of “day” in terms of earth’s rotation.

The creation accounts in Genesis are based upon a much earlier view of cosmology. We wouldn’t really expect the scriptures to set out the beginnings of the universe in terms of modern physics and cosmology, would we? How meaningful would that have been to the ancient Israelites?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.