Confused ??

While doing a Bible study course online, I found something that I’m a little confused about & I’m not sure who to ask about it. I’m not trying to get hung up on small details I’m just curious & a little confused.

Exodus 39: 2 And he made the ephod of gold, blue and purple and scarlet stuff, and fine twined linen. Revised Standard Version

ok Stuff but what Stuff? So I went & got my New American Bible

Exodus 39: 2 The ephod was woven of gold thread and of violet, purple and scarlet yarn and of fine linen twined.

Ok I’m confused… Why did the translators translated Stuff in the RSV & Yarn in the NAB? :confused: Why didn’t they just say yarn or thread? I know that its not a big deal I’m just curious to know what the word means. I’ve been using the RSV as my primary Bible (because its a compact Bible) but with out my NAB (giant Bible) I don’t get some of what the RSV is saying. (& vica versa) Is there a Bible translation that is easier to get the meaning of the verses? Thanks Guys

(Note: Dont get me wrong for study I like using different translations really helps to get a better idea of what the Bible says but right know I would really like to use just one translation for light study)

hi RG,

The RSV is descended from the King James and tends sometimes toward archaism. “Stuff” is an old word for fabric. The NAB says “yarn”, and they may be right. The final meaning is not very different.

Verbum

“Stuff” is the root of the word that we use for teddy bear stuffing - you can pull it and make it into yarn, and then weave it into whatever you want. There are all different kinds of stuff - cotton stuff, woolen stuff, etc. Even cat hair stuff, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Thanks I didn’t know that “Stuff” is an old word for fabric. . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :blessyou:

LOL When I first read stuff i thought of the stuff on my computer desk. :smiley: That was a weird image to get in your head.a guy with all that stuff sown on his clothes :eek: Even though I knew it had to be something different then that, it was still a funny image.
I didn’t know that “Stuff” is an old word for fabric. :smiley:

This from the Douay-Rheims Challoner cleared it up for me

1 And he made, of violet and purple, scarlet and fine linen, the vestments for Aaron to wear when he ministered in the holy places, as the Lord commanded Moses. 2 So he made an ephod of gold, violet, and purple, and scarlet twice dyed, and fine twisted linen. 3 With embroidered work: and he cut thin plates of gold, and drew them small into threads, that they might be twisted with the woof of the aforesaid colours, 4 And two borders coupled one to the other in the top on either side, 5 And a girdle of the same colours, as the Lord had commanded Moses

You are quite welcome. I too have had problems understanding a certain passage in a certain translation. I felt like I was missing something. After switching over to the D-R, I have continually referred from one translation to another. Nine times out of ten the D-R clears things up for me. If it is helpful to read the same verses from different translations if you do get stuck. Most people are hindered by the D-R, but I find it to my advantage. Usually, most of my friends use the NAB and I can break it down enough for them that I don’t have to consult the D-R or another translation. On this forum most people are little more advanced

{39:2} Fecit igitur superhumerale de auro, hyacintho, et purpura, coccoque bis tincto, et bysso retorta,
{39:2} And so he made an ephod of gold, hyacinth, and purple, and twice-dyed scarlet, and fine twisted linen,

The Latin has no word for fabric or stuff. Neither does the Hebrew, according to an interlinear I consulted.

The translators of the text you cite added ‘stuff’ in an explanatory rephrasing of the text. There appears to be no corresponding word in the source text.

Exodus 39: 2 And he made the ephod of gold, blue and purple and scarlet stuff, and fine twined linen. Revised Standard Version

ok Stuff but what Stuff? So I went & got my New American Bible

Exodus 39: 2 The ephod was woven of gold thread and of violet, purple and scarlet yarn and of fine linen twined.

The NAB seems to have either given an interpretation to the meaning of “stuff” or reflected what the Greek Septuagint has κοκκίνου νενησμένου which literally means “spun scarlet”

It it hard to locate, but it is there Towla` searchgodsword.org/isb/view.cgi?number=08438

Thats cool, I’m still learning this stuff :smiley: Would love to read the D-R but I always run in to the same problem that I did when I was protestant reading the KJV. I’m not very good with old English.
But I’m very glad to be on a form were a lot of people do know & understand it, :smiley: :thumbsup:

WOW wish I could read Latin, but I am learning the Rosary in Latin so thats a start :smiley: :thumbsup:
Thanks

Reading Greek would be cool too.:thumbsup:
Thanks

Ok where did you guys learn how to read Latin, Greek & Hebrew?
That is just cool :thumbsup:

The Greek would have to be a translation of the original Hebrew, so again, it is a minor interpretive addition to the text.

Obviously all the colors listed in the text refer to cloth dyed those colors, so the addition of stuff or spun or other references to cloth would not be objectionable even in a literal translation.

One way to look at it is that the Greek Septuagint translators give us the meaning of that Hebrew word in context, and that comes from Jewish translators who spoke the Hebrew language as their first language in the ancient times before Christ. That is completely superior to a modern day Hebrew scholar.

I started with free online courses and then moved on to grammar books and so on. Greek is the one that I have put forth the most time, but I have gone through Aramaic/Syriac, Latin, and Hebrew.

The key is once that you learn the basics you need to keep reading as often as you can in order to master it. It does not take long to get rusty with a language if you don’t keep up.

I can give you some resources if you are interested.

That would be great :smiley:

C’mon…I could supply this whole forum with plenty of cat hair stuff!!!
lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.