Confused...

I’m a Christian who currently attends an evangelical church - I have made some great friends there but have never quite given my full self to it. Now I’m recently married and plans to have children in the near future are in process, I’m even more uncertain!

I feel drawn to the Catholic Church, honestly I’m not sure why, there was many issues I thought I had against the church but having started researching have seen some of them (but not all) in a completely different light.

Help…:o

What exactly do you need help on?

I guess it was a rhetorical “help”…I’m just confused at moment, researching these forums and the catholic answers pages to try and understand a few concepts. I didn’t want to ask a tonne of questions, I guess it was just a hi, this is my dilemma post :o

Oh, well, welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me. :thumbsup:

Thank you…:slight_smile:

Actually random question, which isn’t a concern, I just don’t understand how it’s done…the rosary - I’ve looked it up but struggling to understand…do you pray the whole rosary every day or parts? I read one place which said catholics attempt to say the whole rosary in a week does that mean its done in parts? How does it work?

I can’t remember the name for them now, but while praying the rosary, there is something you have to present and contemplate on? What are these?

:slight_smile:

The Rosary is supposed to be prayed whole. Some Catholics pray the Rosary every day.
I enjoy praying the Scriptural Rosary which can take up to one hour but its worth the time and the effort.

“The prayer of the Rosary is divided up into four different sets of Mysteries (each set has 5 Mysteries). A truly powerful way to pray the Rosary, the Scriptural Rosary provides inspiration before every prayer in the Rosary, bringing the Mysteries of the Rosary to true life. Complete instructions for praying the Rosary are available here.”

rosaryarmy.newevangelizers.com/prayers/scriptural-rosary-joyful-mysteries/

First of all, welcome! Now, to answer your questions:

1. If you are seriously thinking about becoming Catholic, I recommend that you contact your local Catholic priest and talk to him. He can advise you about any questions/concerns you have concerning the faith, and can also help you to determine whether you should enter RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) and when this can be done. (RCIA programs usually start in September, with the person being baptized/received into the Church (if one has already been validly baptized with a Trinitarian formula) at Easter of the next year or the year after that, depending on the program.) If you’re interested but still not positively sure conversion is for you, you can still start RCIA - the requirement for a formal commitment does not occur until later in the process. In fact, the initial part of RCIA is all about “coming and seeing”, as Jesus told some of the first disciples.

2. In terms of the Rosary: it is prayed on a set of rosary beads (available at any Catholic bookstore and some Catholic churches; you should have it blessed by a priest) and is prayed according to a specific formula.

If you look at the beads, you’ll notice a cross at the bottom, followed by a single bead, a string of three beads, then another single bead, and then a medal. Above the medal is a ring of five sets of beads; each has one single bead and a string of ten beads. These strings of ten beads are what we call “decades”. You begin the rosary by praying the Apostles’ Creed, holding the cross in your hand. Then, on the first single bead, you pray one Our Father. Next, you pray three Hail Marys, one on each of the beads in the string. (These are prayed for an increase in the three theological virtues, faith, hope, and love.) Finally you pray the Glory Be and the Fatima Aspiration. Then, you begin the “mysteries”. There are four sets of five mysteries, so there is one mystery for each decade. Each decade begins with an Our Father (said while holding the large single bead) and then is comprised of ten Hail Marys (said on the smaller beads), a Glory Be, and the Fatima Aspiration. The “mysteries” are events in the life of Jesus and His Mother, and provide a basis for meditation. (The original rosary had 15 mysteries, three sets of five. They also represented Our Lady’s Psalter, the Hail Mary said 150 times, in honour of the 150 Psalms. Bl. John Paul the Great added a fourth set of mysteries.)

I’ll give you a list of the mysteries, the request for each, and the days on which they’re said. You can find the appropriate prayers anywhere on the Internet, or you can usually purchase a book/pamphlet on the rosary at any Catholic bookstore. Some rosaries even come with such a booklet.

Joyful Mysteries (said on Mondays, and the Sundays of Advent):

1. The Annunciation (when the angel Gabriel announced the birth of Christ; we pray for the virtue of humility).
  2. The Visitation (when Mary visited Elizabeth; we pray for the virtue of charity towards our neighbour).
  3. The Nativity of the Lord (we pray for the spirit of poverty).
  4. The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple (we pray for the virtue of obedience).
  5. The Finding of Jesus in the Temple when He was 12 (we pray for the virtue of piety).

Sorrowful Mysteries (said on Tuesdays, Fridays, and the Sundays of Lent)

1. The Agony in the Garden (we pray for true contrition for our sins)
  2. The Scourging at the Pillar (we pray for purity).
  3. The Crowning with Thorns (we pray for moral courage).
  4. The Carrying of the Cross (we pray for patience).
  5. The Death of Christ on the Cross (we pray for final perseverance).

Glorious Mysteries (said on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays outside Advent and Lent)

1. The Resurrection (we pray for the virtue of faith).
  2. The Ascension of Jesus into heaven (we pray for the virtue of hope).
  3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit (we pray for the virtue of love of God).
  4. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven (we pray for devotion to Mary and a happy death).
  5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of heaven and earth (we pray for eternal happiness).

Luminous Mysteries/Mysteries of Light (added by Bl. John Paul the Great; said on Thursdays)

1. The Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan (we pray for fidelity to our Baptismal promises).
  2. The Wedding at Cana (we pray for the virtue of obedience to the Lord, as Mary instructed.)
  3. The Preaching of Jesus/The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God (we pray for a conversion of heart).
  4. The Transfiguration (we pray for a holy fear of God).
  5. The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper (we pray to always be welcome at Our Lord’s table).

There are also other prayers, such as the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and the Rosary of the Holy Wounds, that are prayed on the rosary. These are fully approved by the Church and may be said on ordinary rosary beads.

You can pray the mystery for the day in parts. Like if you are praying the Joyful Mysteries on Monday you can pray one mystery in the morning, another at midday, etc.

Well, I’d recommend going to Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). Your local Catholic Church could point you the way. You do **NOT **have to be converted to attend RCIA. All you would need would be an interest in the faith.

Of course, it is also for those who are converted, as well.

In the meantime, a way to start would be by going to weekly mass. That way, you could get a feel for it and talk to your priest for more information and guidance.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, and God bless! :slight_smile:

I was like you 9 months ago. I myself didn’t know how to pray. I grew up Catholic and attended church through high school. I was babtized into the faith at one month old. First communion and confirmation as practiced in church. Attended CCD(Catholic Catechism Discipline…I think) till I was 18.

I think I was not ready to accept God and understand it all and went out on my own. I spent 40 years never knowing the presence of God. I looked for Him in other churches. Thought I found Him in the Christian Rock that is so prevailant in non-denominational. (No offense to anyone and still attend to hear good Christian rock!)

Wow, didn’t mean to write this much. Someone gave me a prayer book… ‘The Pieta Prayer Book’ cuz I was lost and wanted God bad. I started researching all my questions by reading 3 or 4 books a week about Christianity and God and praying almost every prayer out of the book I was given. I had to learn the Hail Mary, Our Creed, The Glory Be, and The Fatima Prayer. I had to read them at first and doing the rosary was just me reading the prayers. Then I learned the prayers and they became a part of me. So when I was praying the Our Father at beginning of a decade and ten Hail Mary’s. My mind started wondering…or better yet wandering. This is where the mysteries come into play. You can actually start to contemplate the life of Jesus when saying the ten Hail Mary’s.

The most wonderful thing about Catholicism that I love. We have a set criteria daily for what we are praying for. Ever had a powerful experience while praying in a group of people? Well, God has designated through the Church for us to do certain things in unison. Imagine over a billion people saying the same prayer and contemplating the same messages that God gives us!!! On the same Day!!
That is what the mysteries represent. God’s proclamation for everyone whom practices this will be contemplating the same thing in the same instant…now…and in communion with God will all our intentions and thoughts be offered up as one. So we have the mysteries which are the life of Christ or Savior. Designated by five different contemplations of the life of Christ and divided by the ten Hail Mary’s. For she is the one that took to heart the things that happened with Her Son and Our Savior. By praying the ten Hail Mary’s we open our hearts to hear whom She kept all these things in Her heart. The Heart that was pierced by a sword that she may hear the thoughts of many. The sword that is sharper than a two-edged sword and able to discern the thoughts and intentions our hearts.

As a famous Saint said…saying the rosary without contemplation is like a body without the soul. Does not have to be done daily. Learn it first. Get comfortable enough with the prayers till you get to the point of contemplation. The more you do it the easier it becomes. The easier it becomes the more you want to do it! Cuz it is a quick way to commune with God and dispel your worries and fears. Not to mention…for me, it opened up scriptures and understanding for me.

Matthew

IT’S GOD! https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3303257300/ed40f55507a2131070629e59abe6423d_normal.jpeg

It took me two decades of the same kind of wanting. But then Pope Francis came, and a fantastic congregation. I shopped Catholic Churches for months until finding one that stood out. I liked all of them, but mine is special.

Your making the right start. You came here. Visit other churches. Begin an inquiry. No one will “rope you in” Ask questions, even if you feel they are silly. Just say… “Hi, I am new, I have a question…” No one will judge you! Just the opposite, we are thrilled that you are here!!!:thumbsup: We are happy that you are seeking the truth.

Stay tuned!:newidea:

Thats the short answer… but YES IT IS!:thumbsup:

Perhaps you might want to find a Catholic prayer book and a catechism book for children. Whenever I am confused by the “whole enchilada” on any topic, I go and find children’s books on the topic. It always helps me to avoid overwhelm.

The responses here on this post seem very helpful, especially in explaining the rosary. There is much confusion in the “evangelical christian” world (I use quotes because all Christians are called to be evangelists) about the rosary, believing it is pagan or worshipping Mary above God, or that it is repetitive and mindless. The rosary to me is a symbol of the Catholic Church: rooted in scripture, honoring sound traditions, venerating Mary, the Mother of Jesus, and utilizing beads which represents our connection with the earth as well as with things spiritual.

A fundamentalist once chastised me for having one foot on earth and one foot in heaven and I complained to my mother how upset I was by her accusation. My mother said, “You should have thanked her, honey. A good Catholic must appreciate God’s earth while reaching for heaven.”

Why don’t you enrole in RCIA in a local parish next year. You don’t have to make any commitment and it is a way to get some of your questions answered. Another way is to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church ( vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM ) or you can by a paper back copy for about $10.00. Also, you can start attending Mass and that will introduce you to all the center of our Faith, the Eucharist. And you can ask specific questions here as well.

Good luck
Linus2nd

Thank you for all of your help, support and advice. :slight_smile:

I have looked into my local parish church and it has three services on a Sunday 9:30am, 11am and 7pm…is there a specific one I should go to? (Are they the same across parishes?)

I like the idea of looking into children’s books! :smiley:

Great testimonial. Thanks for sharing.

DGB

Go to which ever fits your time schedule the best. The only difference in the Masses will be the music. Local parishes will have different times, but the times you mentined are fairly typical.

Linus2nd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.