Confused

I am fifteen years old and today I went to the sacrament of reconciliation. I confessed that I had masturbated, but the preist did not have much to say to me. In fact, he brushed it off like it was nothing and only assigned me 5 hail mary’s and 5 our father’s. Is masturbation while going through puberty less grave than doing so while you are an adult?

I also had some more questions to ask you. If I fall again to solitary sin am I expected to go back to confession?
How bad of a sin is masturbation?
Why?
Does age affected the graveness of it?
Why would God give us this “gift” if so many will fall to it in temptation?

ahem

The following is my own opinion based on forty some years of living.

Their are many levels of sin related to distortion of sexual desire. Rape would be very high on the list. Adultery would be up there but perhaps not so high. Fornication is fairly serious but does not carry quite as great of social consequences as adultery.
Masturbation is not as high as this because (at least usually) it does not carry very high social consequences.

An older person who has not managed to learn to practice a measure of self control might be considered to have a serious lack of maturity - something that is not so surprizing in a younger person. but the graveness of the sin itself would not be any higher.

“To everything there is a place, and a time for every action under the heavens.”

Like all other gifts, the gift of sexual pleasure has a time and place and seeking God’s kingdom means keeping that gift in its place as well as every other gift God gives us.

peace

-Jim

[quote=Chicken Man]I am fifteen years old and today I went to the sacrament of reconciliation. I confessed that I had masturbated, but the preist did not have much to say to me. In fact, he brushed it off like it was nothing and only assigned me 5 hail mary’s and 5 our father’s. Is masturbation while going through puberty less grave than doing so while you are an adult?

I also had some more questions to ask you. If I fall again to solitary sin am I expected to go back to confession?
How bad of a sin is masturbation?
Why?
Does age affected the graveness of it?
Why would God give us this “gift” if so many will fall to it in temptation?
[/quote]

Chicken Man,
Masturbation is a grave matter. It is a mortal sin which severs your relationship with God. If you fall back into sin you should go to confession before you receive communion. To receive communion in a state of mortal sin is sacreligious and is in itself a mortal sin. Please see the following site for more information about masturbation and sexual purity.
pureloveclub.com/chastity/index.php?id=7&entryid=49

God Bless,
Matt

In my time I’ve had more than one priest tell me similar things. I would like to think that they have good intentions and that they only want a person to feel less guilty but that doesn’t make them any less wrong.

Masturbation is an objectively grave sin however one’s culpability for it may vary according to whether they have some addiction, compulsion, they’ve been told otherwise by an authority (your priest or a parent), and other reasons. However, if you know it is wrong (and you can find some good reading on it on this site) than you have to do everything you can to stop yourself from falling into the sin again.

My advice? A friend told me once to keep praying. Keep praying even while you are sinning because you can’t pray and sin at the same time for very wrong. Put icons and rosaries around places you are more likely to sin. Every time you see a girl who is scandalously dressed look at the ground as fast as you can and say a Hail Mary.

God wants you to conquer your sin and will send you the graces you need especially through frequent confession and the Eucharist. I will say a prayer for you.

thanks guys. I hoped your answers would be a little different. Actaully, I hoped they’d be alot different, but I guess I’ll just have to battle up hill all the way. (I think my hair is going to fall out) Sigh:rolleyes:

Remember that there is nothing that Christ cannot help you conquer. It is only a matter of time, so trust in the Lord and ask Mary for her intercession. Lastly, remember that you have all of heaven rooting for you.

God Bless,
Matt

Praying the rosary really helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.