Confusion with Creighton Model (NFP)

My husband and I recently started learning the Creighton Model of NFP. I'm having a difficult time distiguishing between 'lubrication' and 'mucus'. I understand that 'lubracative' is a sensation, but wouldn't there HAVE to be mucus for it to be considered lubricative? I'm worried that I'm not understanding the sensation part of this method, which is really important to accurate charting... Can anyone offer any advice?

Lubrication is a sensation of the mucus, so yes, you do have to have mucus to be able to classify it as being lubricative.
Are you working with a nurse? Be sure to keep your follow up appointments so that you can be sure you are understanding everything.

Remember, you are supposed to decide what sensation you feel before examining your mucous (or lack thereof). Remember SOFT--Sensation, observation, finger test. Record things exactly as you observe them, and don't worry if there isn't much mucous with your lubricative sensation. Chart what you observe, and ask your instructor for help interpreting the results.

Interesting note: if you are using a toilet paper with aloe in it, this can sometimes make the sensation harder to pinpoint.

Thank you, both, for your responses. I will keep them in mind.
We aren't working with a 'nurse', but have a Fertility Care Practitioner. I just sometimes don't understand her responses when I ask questions. I am also struggling with wiping front to back (which seems like a no brainer, right?)... I've never done it this way, so I am not comfortable with it. In others' experiences, is it easier to go from the front and wipe with the side of the hand through the lips of the vagina, or is it more logical to reach around from the backside and 'pull' the tissue from the vagina to the perineal body? :o

Just wanted to 're-post' in hopes of a response...
Thanks.

[quote="Ebba, post:4, topic:223412"]
Thank you, both, for your responses. I will keep them in mind.
We aren't working with a 'nurse', but have a Fertility Care Practitioner. I just sometimes don't understand her responses when I ask questions. I am also struggling with wiping front to back (which seems like a no brainer, right?)... I've never done it this way, so I am not comfortable with it. In others' experiences, is it easier to go from the front and wipe with the side of the hand through the lips of the vagina, or is it more logical to reach around from the backside and 'pull' the tissue from the vagina to the perineal body? :o

[/quote]

There are other secretions that can be confused with it that are not lubricative. You’re basically looking at any discharge to determine if it is cervical mucus or if it is something else.

[quote="Ebba, post:5, topic:223412"]
Just wanted to 're-post' in hopes of a response...
Thanks.

[/quote]

I'm have the same question with the wiping....did you get any feedback?

Jewels3,
Unfortunately, nobody responded. Are you new to learning the method?
We had our 4th follow up appointment with our 'practioner' last evening... I am feeling more confident about the model now that I've seen almost two full cycles, but feel like there's a long way to go before i'd say that I'm totally comfortable with it. :)

I'm struggling with nfp as well! Even with workingv with a nurse it doesn't make sense and seems more like a shot in dark then anything else. I promise my husband we woud try this for a year but we'll end up with our 4th child before the year is over!

I think that you might be confusing "lubrication" (a sensation) with "mucus" (a thing). Lubrication is a quality of mucus, and sensing a feeling of lubrication helps identify when mucus is present and if it is fertile-type mucus.

Many women have trouble differentiating between the sensations, which are dryness, smoothness, and lubrication. Figuring out the difference between the feeling of "smooth" and the feeling of "lubricative" is going to be key in determining when fertile mucus is present.

Re: wiping...I guess I'd never thought about doing it a different way! Since you asked, it makes most sense to me to wipe with the same hand from front to back, through the perineum, and then bring the TP back to the front to make an observation. You really don't need to go ALL the way to the back because the perineum just isn't that big. The point about wiping across the perineum is to help ascertain sensation (lubrication vs smooth vs dry), so if it helps to wipe more slowly or longer, then do what works for you.

All that said, it's really very important to keep up with frequent follow-ups with your Creighton instructor! Especially when you're still figuring out the method and trying to learn how to make observations, I believe the protocol is to meet at least every 4 weeks. You might check if your instructor is available to answer questions between follow-ups, too, either by email or phone.

Thank you, Rach620, for your feedback.

I wish there was an “NFP Support Group” in our area where we could meet with other couples to talk about their experiences with this method. I really appreciate you sharing your own experience with me.

I seem to have a lot of questions, and I don’t feel like our practioner communicates her answers well. I asked a lot about determining mucus during my period, since it’s hard to tell if what i see is clotting or true mucus. She just confuses me more when we discuss it. I get frustrated, but plan on sticking with it. Hopefully it will ‘come together’ for me eventually.

Thanks again, for your explanations. :wink:

Ebba

[quote="Ebba, post:11, topic:223412"]

I wish there was an "NFP Support Group" in our area where we could meet with other couples to talk about their experiences with this method. I really appreciate you sharing your own experience with me.

I seem to have a lot of questions, and I don't feel like our practioner communicates her answers well. I asked a lot about determining mucus during my period, since it's hard to tell if what i see is clotting or true mucus. She just confuses me more when we discuss it. I get frustrated, but plan on sticking with it. Hopefully it will 'come together' for me eventually.

Thanks again, for your explanations. ;)

Ebba

[/quote]

Maybe I can help. For you cycle, you only need to check for mucus on Ll or VL days. Not on VH, H, or M days.

[quote="Ebba, post:11, topic:223412"]

I wish there was an "NFP Support Group" in our area where we could meet with other couples to talk about their experiences with this method. I really appreciate you sharing your own experience with me.

I seem to have a lot of questions, and I don't feel like our practioner communicates her answers well. I asked a lot about determining mucus during my period, since it's hard to tell if what i see is clotting or true mucus. She just confuses me more when we discuss it. I get frustrated, but plan on sticking with it. Hopefully it will 'come together' for me eventually.

Thanks again, for your explanations. ;)

Ebba

[/quote]

I'm glad I was able to help. I have a few close female friends to discuss these things with, and my practitioner is very helpful and easy to talk to, which is a blessing.

I have a friend who really did not hit it off with her NFP practitioner--to the point that she did not trust her feedback--and sought out another. I'm not sure if there are any other options in your area, but perhaps check at fertilitycare.org and call a few possible instructors? Or check with your Fertility Care Center (if you work with one) to see if there is another instructor available.

Or, if you want to try to work with your current instructor (which I'd recommend first), perhaps try asking some different questions, or say things like this:
"I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Could you explain it a different way?"
"Could we look at the picture dictionary for this type of mucus? I think it would help me to see a visual."
"In your experience of using NFP, do you have any advice for discerning mucus during the period?"
"Do you know how the other practitioners describe this type of mucus? Maybe it would help to hear from one of them, too."

Re: your specific question about the period...Like Mary Gail said, you only need to look for mucus when the flow is light or very light. For me, that makes it clearer--either there is just a little blood on the TP or there is a pinkish fluid, often which can be finger-tested.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.