Congregation of the Pontifical Right

Hi, I got some questions. I hope someone will answer. My brain is longing for answers. :stuck_out_tongue:

What does the Congregation of the Pontifical Right mean?

To whom do they profess their vows?

What makes them different to other “right”? What are the other “rights” by the way?

God bless you!

Actually, the words are 'Congregation OF Pontifical Right'.

I think it means that the Constitutions of a particular community have been approved by the Vatican. If any problems occur with the local Bishop, the community can take them right to the Vatican Congregation that's in charge of religious communities.

Hope that helps....

The generic name for religious orders, congregations etc. is ‘religious institutes’. Most religious institutes are said to be of either pontifical right or diocesan right; this means that they are predominantly answerable to either the pope, or to the bishop in whose diocese is found the main house of the institute.

Although religious are always responsible to a local bishop in diocesan matters (if they are managing a parish, or a school on his behalf, for instance) issues regarding internal house management and discipline are reserved to the institute.

However, in terms of general oversight and constitutional matters, authority is reserved to the pope in the case of institutes of pontifical right, and to the bishop in institutes of diocesan right. This means that they are the respective people to whom appeals for dispensation are made, and also the authority who can provide ratification of elections and other matters. An institute of pontifical right consequently has greater (although not absolute) independence from the local bishop.

The details are explained in the code of canon law. See: vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P1Y.HTM

Hope this is clear. :slight_smile:

[quote="Ocarm, post:3, topic:195743"]
The generic name for religious orders, congregations etc. is 'religious institutes'. Most religious institutes are said to be of either pontifical right or diocesan right; this means that they are predominantly answerable to either the pope, or to the bishop in whose diocese is found the main house of the institute.

Although religious are always responsible to a local bishop in diocesan matters (if they are managing a parish, or a school on his behalf, for instance) issues regarding internal house management and discipline are reserved to the institute.

However, in terms of general oversight and constitutional matters, authority is reserved to the pope in the case of institutes of pontifical right, and to the bishop in institutes of diocesan right. This means that they are the respective people to whom appeals for dispensation are made, and also the authority who can provide ratification of elections and other matters. An institute of pontifical right consequently has greater (although not absolute) independence from the local bishop.

The details are explained in the code of canon law. See: vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P1Y.HTM

Hope this is clear. :)

[/quote]

Your answer was better than mine! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.