Congregational Movement

How strict should rubrics define how the congregation kneels, crosses themselves, etc.?

I personally think they should be free to kneel, bless themselves, kiss statues/icons, etc. throughout the liturgy, except for certain parts (the anaphora) where they should kneel. What do you think?

I think that the Mass is just that “Liturgy = The Public Prayer of the CHURCH” Which means that it is something that one is instructed in how to participate in and one follows specific rules for that participation. Which is far different from personal prayer which is not regulated and para-liturgy like “Adoration” which is partly regulated or the Office prayed privately.

I made the third choice, and I think the church should appoint and train special ushers to enforce the rules, esp. on toddlers and senior citizens. (attn. humor police, is there a tongue-in-cheeck smiley>) While we’re at it, can we revise the GIRM (again) to forbid teenagers from lurking in the back of the church.

How distractive this practice would be not only to the Priest/Deacons but the Church faithful. Stay after Mass and enjoy your private devotions and mediations; just my 2 cents.

I’m not advocating liturgical dance here, but I feel that the notion that every movement the congregation does should be regulated is really restrictive. Did they do that sort of thing before Vatican II, when the old ladies were kneeling and saying their rosaries during mass, or in the Eastern churches, for that matter? Let’s think of the implications here: choosing choice three implies that the Liturgical Police should be called whenever somebody makes the sign of the cross outside “the rubrics”!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.