Congress to certify electoral votes today, officially ending presidential race

Congress to certify electoral votes today, officially ending presidential race, electing Donald Trump as president. abcn.ws/2hYIvgw

Biden at electoral vote counting as three Democrats raise objections: “It’s over.”

Paul Ryan is seen laughing behind.

twitter.com/RebeccaShabad/status/817434877998075904

This won’t deter those tent n marginalizing DT’s presidency.I have never n my life seen such a childish,irrational,visceral dislike of a president.This includes Obama.The right NEVER behaved in such a way.May not have agreed or supported or even liked him but what the Dems and lefties are doing is beyond the pale.:frowning:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

this will never be over for the democrats!

I noticed the comment “Paul Ryan should be working as a waiter”.

Funny, I always thought the Democrats and their allies were for the working man.

You’ve got to be kidding. The Obama backlash was just as ridiculous in its own right, except with little bits of racism sprinkled throughout. I’m not going to deny that a lot of democrats are handling this wrong, but let’s not pretend conservative voters and the GOP at large were mature and respectful of both Obama’s victories (which, as a side note, were much bigger wins than what Trump accomplished).

An illusion that has been carefully crafted over the years. Scratch the surface just a little bit, and you’ll find the contempt.

Care to cite a specific example of this? I’m especially interested in your evidence for “little bits” of racism. That’s an interesting qualification.

The putative contempt is the illusion, crafted over the years by the far- and alt-right, now aided and abetted by Putin.

No, it’s found right there in the words of Democrats when they either slip up or are being unusually candid. “Bitter clingers” comes immediately to mind.

Thank you. I am curious to see the reply to your request also.

I am waiting too.Just easier to drop ad hominem talking points,no need to verify.
To quote the late and great President,Ronald Reagan"There you go again":wink:

Ferguson, Trevon Martin, calling cops “stupid” for questioning a black man appearing to be breaking into a house…shall I keep going with Obama’s racism?

:thumbsup:

If you google “bitter clingers”, you will find all sort of propaganda manipulated what Obama said, for example: gun-owners are “bitter-clingers”. But I found an article that actually quoted him, and I think that finding it contemptuous requires a great deal of confirmation bias.

“You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them,” Obama said. “And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, …

I think that anyone who reads that as accusatory rather than sympathetic, has a tin-foil ear. You may not like the word choice “bitter”, but that is a quibble. What is clear is that 8 years later the frustrations of the fact that “jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them” continued to multiply - exacerbated by the fact that those who prepared themselves for jobs in the new economy usually left these areas for bluer terrain. The frustration among the remnant was intense enough that they went for a man without a workable plan, really just a slogan: MAGA.

Obama went on to say …

… they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

This remark politically naive since it so readily lends itself to all sorts of misinformative misinterpretations by opponents. But it is insightful - even prescient, looking back 8 years later. The idea is that this frustration manifests itself in a variety of ways that divide us by isms - nativism, racism, religious sectarianism, or even the odd them-vs-us issue that has been contrived over gun policy. None of these have the isms provide any route to authentic relief of the frustration. None. The idea that immigration policy - Mexican, Muslim, or Asian; trade policy; or gun policy will restore these regions to their former vitality (with or without all of the collateral racism etc.) is a hoax perpetrated by hoaxsters for political gain.

But the hoax worked. Perhaps some good will come of it - the necessary moment of “hitting bottom”.

Yes, the hoax has indeed worked. Just not in the way the left would like us to believe. Trying to explain to people who had just been insulted that they they really hadn’t been insulted, may be the bottom of the political barrel. He said it, it justly was condemned, and then the explanations of what he really meant started to flow.

Perhaps you would like to first qualify what would be an acceptable example to set some parameters of the discussion.

Here is a thoughtful articlle from some years ago, that gives a more hilosophial overview - it is not a “gotcha” piece.

patheos.com/blogs/christandpopculture/2012/11/the-naked-racism-of-an-obama-america/

It contains lots of great links, including this stunning piece.
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/just-how-racist-obama-phone-video/323082/

Birtherism was nothing but racism.

Yes indeed.

Lyndon Johnson once said:

If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.

Johnson was perhaps the greatest political genius America has ever seen. He knew what he was talking about.

I am from the area that Obama was directly referring to, experienced the decline, and all of the efforts to revitalize. I have a great ear for the message.

While some folk may have honesty felt insulted, the reality is that few actually heard what Obama said or how he said it. They got the stoked up version of round criticsm that defined the remarks as insulting. And since it was served up as an insult, many, many took it that way.

Why people prefer to take the most uncharitable interpretation of remarks that they hear is unclear, but it would be great to get beyond that, because that has not and will not solve the real problems that people face.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.