Conn. police say possible ritual in theft of body [AP]

AP says Santeria incorporates Catholicism:
*STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — Authorities investigating the theft of a 2-year-old girl’s body from a Connecticut cemetery said Wednesday that evidence at the crime scene points to a possible ritual.

Stamford Capt. Richard Conklin said investigators are looking at the crime “as a ritualistic sort of thing.” He cited beliefs such as Santeria, a Caribbean blend of West African beliefs and Catholicism, or Palo Mayombe, a religion originally from the Congo region of Africa and brought to the Americas by slaves.*Full article.

First, those involved in this story need prayers. Second, saying that Santeria is a blend of West African beliefs and Catholicism is, to me, a little like saying the Black Mass is a blend of Satanism and Catholicism.

I’m not sure what’s wrong with that statement…Santeria certainly has many elements imported from Catholicism.

I am just incredibly upset that some incredibly disturbed person or persons took a baby’s body from a cemetery. What a terrible thing this family has to go through, first to lose their child then to realize the body has been stolen from the cemetery.

Apparently, it seems that the theft could have happened shortly after the burial.

Prayers for this family.

Santeria “borrows” the appearance of Catholic practices, but sadly it is a perverted understanding of the truths of Catholicism. It is misleading and causes much confusion, which is Satan’s agenda.

Voodoo does the same in Haiti.

Right…it tries to “imitate” Catholicism. There’s nothing Catholic about it, and the article, as it is worded, sounds like it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.