Connection b/w Eucharist and Nativity

Reflecting on the Nativity at the Christmas Eve mass and something occured to me. Our God came to mankind as a defenseless and helpless baby, completely trusting in Mary and Joseph to protect and care for Him. What an act of humility!

And at every mass the same thing happens. God comes to us in the outward from of bread and wine, and is completely helpless and defenseless. He trusts in us to care for Him, to treat Him reverently, and receive Him in a state of grace. And He knows some won’t, and some will abuse Him, and treat Him poorly. And yet He still comes. Just like at His Incarnation, He knew how we would treat Him and kill Him, and came anyway.

So how are we receiving Him at mass in the Eucharist? Like Mary and Joseph? Or like those who spat on Him, hit Him, mocked Him, whipped Him, and crucified Him?

I think it’s a great way to show Christ how much we love and appreciate him and his Church would be by going to mass, receiving the sacraments frequently year 'round.

Back when I was an extraordinary, I was almost awe-struck that the Lord would trust His Son into my hands. I asked God to make my grasp secure, as I was holding His only begotten Son. It is a humbling honor, just as if we were the shepherds gazing upon the manger and received our newborn Savior into our arms. I also call to mind Simeon the prophet who, upon receiving his Savior into his arms, told the Lord that his life was then complete.

:slight_smile:

Think about this:
What was the manger?
It was where the hay was placed for the animals to eat. It was an eating place. It held food.
So when you think of Jesus lying in the manger I think there is a pretty strong symbolic connection to the Eucharist.

+JMJ+

Not only that, but Bethlehem means “house of bread” in Hebrew :wink: And the animals in the stable which ate on the manger were either going to be food for men, or help in making food by pulling the plow. So yeah the symbolism there is quite heavy :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.