Connection Between the Annunciation and the Crucifixion

Hello. I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

I read, a long time ago, an interesting article on the connection between the Annunciation and the Crucifixion. If I recall correctly the speculation was that Jesus was crucified on March 25, which is the Feast of the Annunciation.

Does anyone know anything about this connection?

Thanks.

The Feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary does fall on March 25. There is some debate as to the origin of this feast and its date but it was certainly first celebrated sometime between 500-600 AD.

Christians in the early centuries (maybe around 200) are known to have recognized March 25 as the day of Christs crucifixion. The pseudo-Cyprianic work “De Pascha Computus”, c. 240 argues that the coming of Our Lord and His death must have coincided with the creation and fall of Adam, and since the world was created in the spring, the birth and death of Jesus must have also happened in the spring.

Since no historical documents are know to exist that verify any of these dates, it is all speculative at best and will likely never be known for certain.

At any rate, none of it has any bearing on the theology of the creation of Adam, the enunciation of Mary, or the birth or death of Christ. It is the truth of the lessons that are important, not the historical accuracy of the dates.

Yes, I have heard this as well. I took note of it because that is also my birthday, and the year I was born it was Good Friday.
No clue if it’s just pious belief, but I think it’s cool, regardless.

I once heard it said that the ancient Jews believed that many of the great prophets were put to death on the day of their conceptions. This idea may have carried over to Jesus since the early Church sprouted from Judaism. So if He was born Dec. 25th (I know people like to debate this), 9 months previous would be His conception date of March 25th.

I don’t know how valid that is. I just remembering hearing something about that once.

I have intensely studied Biblical chronology.
Jesus was conceived at the annunciation which occurred at midnight while Mary kept the watch of Passover. The book of Wisdom reveals the time of Jesus‘ conception. When the night was half gone [midnight] the word [Jesus] leaped from heaven to earth (Wisdom 18:13-15). The context of this passage was Passover and the Exodus from Egypt.
March 25 was picked for the annunciation as 9 months before Christmas, but the 9 months dates from a woman’s last period, 2 weeks earlier than conception. Jesus was actually conceived Midnight April 7, 1 B.C. The feast of the Annunciation does move later under some circumstances up to 2 weeks. Jesus’ died 3
Grace and peace,
Bruce

I actually have come to believe Jesus conception was in 3 B.C. on March 25 and his death was 30 A.D.

30 is a Possible date, but since Peter in Acts 2:20 the sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and manifest day. Mentions an eclipse of the moon that occurred at Sundown Apr 3, AD 33 that they had all witnessed, that cinches that date for me. I have many other supports for 33 but that is enough.
Grace and peace,
Bruce

Peter was talking about the apocalypse.

Also Eusebius says Jesus died 40 years before the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D.
I will trust Eusebius on that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.