Conscience and confesssion

I recently confessed something which I thought was sinful and the priest told me that it was not sinful and that I do not need to confess it in the future.

What if the priest was wrong?

What if I thought in my conscience that he was wrong but “took his work for it” and continued in what I thought was sin but he did not, and never confessed it again?

How does the priests judgement work in cases of gray area? There are obviously rare cases of obstinate priests telling people the wrong thing, but what about in cases where priests think they are giving correct counsel but are not?

Unless a priest asks you to do something that contradicts Church teachings then you should obey him.

Pope Benedict was not a huge fan of Conscience or more appropriately called.

Consequent Conscience: The judgment of the mind on the morality of an action already performed. The conscience either approves what has been done, giving peace to the mind and spiritual joy, or disapproves of what was done, thus causing remorse and a sense of guilt.

This one has skid marks on it.:eek:

Depends on the penitent and upon the matter itself.

Somethings will be judgment calls on the part of a Priest or the Penitent. Some penitent’s need certain ideas corrected --and at times even the Priest needs his ideas corrected. At other times there is a judgment call and can be differing judgements.

So it is hard to give a one line answer here.

If a Priest says “contraception” is ok. He is not to be followed.

If he says “I think Y movie is not good and you should not go to it” -where as other sound Priests or Christians think it is fine --that can be judgment call…

If the Penitent thinks that it is sin to say fly in a plane --well that needs to be corrected…

We need to form our consciences. They can be too narrow or too wide…they can be right on or they can be way off. In any case they need to be formed according to the Teachings of the Church and other truth.

(pm me if I can be of any help)

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a6.htm

No …

It can.

But no…it depends on the penitent and the matter itself as I explained.

Different strokes…:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.