Conscience over-active when praying the rosary?

So I have a question for y’all: I try to pray the rosary every day, but when I pray, I am frequently interrupted by remembrances of since I have committed recently, some of which I simply committed and did not think much of, some of which I committed and forgot about, some of which I was impenitent of and forgot about.

When this happens, is it permissible to simply acknowledge the sin, and return to my prayer so that I can concentrate on the rosary, or is that some kind of impenitence since I recall a sin and then do not repent, but return to my prayer? I only ask because it is, well, quite aggravating to be in the middle of trying to meditate on the mysteries and then suddenly BAM! Bet you forgot that one! I mean, it is helpful since it allows me to keep a more accurate accounting for when I can make it to confession, but it is distressful in how much it interrupts my prayers.

Any advice would be appreciated. Yeah, I know I should probably get a spiritual adviser.

Repentance is an attitude, and when you remember a sin while praying, simply acknowledge it in your heart and likewise acknowledge your desire to please God. But don’t scruple about how to acknowledge those things. You don’t need to use spoken or thought words, God sees what you are willing. It can take only a second to will turning away from some sin or imperfection, and this can be done simultaneously while meditating on the Rosary.

What do you mean by saying that you don’t repent? we should repent for every sin when we’re aware of it… if it’s mortal, we should also resolve to confess it asap. If it’s mortal and we were already sorry but forgot it in the previous confession, then we can wait until the next regular confession to say it. However if it’s something you only began to be sorry for right now, I’d confess it before the next Communion…

I think he means that he doesn’t stop praying the Rosary to make some sort of a formal prayer of repentance. I don’t think he means he doesn’t care that he committed a sin and would do so again if given a chance. I also get the impression he’s talking about venial sins and imperfections.

Hi, Aeden!

…yeah, that’s the best bet–spiritual advisor!

What you are describing can be an important issue with you… the sin that may pop into memory might be you subconscious guided by the Holy Spirit to pray for that particular sin. Perhaps you have not let go of it even though you’ve gone to Confession; some people retell stories of their failures (sinful life) yet the seem to enjoy it too much; there does not seem to be any sorrow brought by the recollection of the act/s… if this is what is transpiring (joy and glee) you must do what Scriptures tell us:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]4 Unfaithful creatures! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you suppose it is in vain that the scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit which he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace; therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8** Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you men of double mind. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to dejection. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you.**

(St. James 4:4-10)
Yet, if you are genuinely remorseful for your sin/s and it/they keep popping up; it may be a sing to pray for those who engage in similar sin (including those in Purgatory); so offer your prayers for yourself and for the need of sinners… that we may come to embrace the Sacrament of Confession, seek Reconciliation with God, and Abide in Him!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

It sounds like you have it right. Satan is trying to interrupt your prayers and concentration. You are batting away the distraction “like so many flies” and returning to your prayer.
Of course, when you are ready for Confession, you can make a more formal examination of conscience. Don’t let the guilt, which is not from God, keep you from God.

Satan doesn’t like you praying the rosary so will try and interfere.

It took me some time to begin to -]properly/-] well better meditate on Christ’s passion.

Continue with your Rosary. Confession later. If you so desire, jot down what you need to confess, and keep on with your devotional. I think you probably ARE repentant of any past or forgotten sins or they wouldn’t drift to the surface while you pray. Guess who can answer best…your priest or confessor. Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.