Consecrated Ground Question

As some my bosses are both not religious/atheists and we are a local store, we get to talk a lot. One boss was asking me a question in regards to burying the dead from a Catholic point of view after asking about Catholics donating their bodies to science. I responded to the donation to science bit by saying that Catholics may donate their bodies for organ donation. The consecrated ground bit I told him I’ll get back to him.

With the stage set, let me state my questions. Why do we bury our dead on consecrated ground? What about people who have died in wars/explorers and have gone MIA? These were the two questions that I seem to recall most vividly that I couldn’t really answer.

On a side note, I feel blessed to have bosses who aren’t religious. Not because they don’t have faith in the One True God, but because by them asking questions they are helping me grow in faith by learning the answers to questions they ask. :slight_smile:

Consecrated ground means the ground has been Blessed by a priest. If a Catholic is buried in a non- Catholic Cemetery, that grave can be Blessed too. As for those who died in wars etc, there is nothing anyone can do about that unless the bodies are brought back home for burial… The Church can’t do the impossible. BUT we can all pray for them and their families. God Bless, Memaw

Catholics may both donate organs and may donate their body for scientific research.

We consecrate the ground in which our dead are buried. Consecration is the act of blessing and setting apart something for a sacred use.

In the case of a Catholic cemetery, the entire cemetery is consecrated at its outset. In the case of non-Catholic cemeteries, the grave plot is consecrated before the casket is placed inside. For example, as a Marine Corps veteran my stepfather was buried in one of the national cemeteries. The grave itself is consecrated, not the cemetery.

What about them?

When possible, the US military at least returns the remains to the US for burial. You still hear stories of remains being recovered in Viet Nam being returned. During WWII there where cemetaries established in Europe to bury the dead, graves properly consecrated.

I imagine most nations attempt to do the same for their war casualties.

The consecration of graves is really a matter of respect, of showing that those who die are not forgotten by God or, by extension, the Church.

Those who for whatever reason do not have a consecrated grave are not, however, impeded from achieving the life everlasting in any way.

ICXC NIKA

Consecrated ground according to the Catholic term, means actually more than a Blessing, it is set aside for sacred use. the burring of the dead. God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.