Consecrated Single--again

I know there’s been a couple of threads about this topic, but they weren’t as illuminating as I’d like.

To start with and to limit the discussion, I’m *specifically *talking about a public consecration, similar to a diaconate hermit or a consecrated virgin. does anyone know of such a thing? I wouldn’t qualify as a consecrated virgin, lest anyone is wanting to suggest such a thing.

I feel called to make a statement, to answer a call, to love and serve Jesus, but I don’t necessarily feel called to living in community. perhaps I will discern/discover that that feeling is actually springing from my own insecurities or fears, but since I’m just starting the discerning process, I’m exploring all options. If I was 18 again, I think I’d be thinking about a cloistered, contemplative community; but at 43, things are different.

I do like the diaconate hermit–but I’d be more of a pseudo-hermit since my work is so public.

So, what have you all got?

I’ve read Fr. Dubay’s And You Are Christ’s (loved it, two thumbs up) and have just ordered The Mystery of Love for the Single: A Guide for Those Who Follow the Single Vocation in the World by O.F.M., CAP. Father Dominic J. Unger. (I’ve also read Intro to a Devout Life, Imitation of Christ, and many others).

So just to be clear, you're basically asking if there's a male counterpart to a consecrated virgin?

No. I’m actually female. :slight_smile:

I’ve read (but only minimally) about Consecrated Singles–both male and female–which are similar to Diocesan Hermit but more “in the world”. it is similar to Consecrated Virgin but for a CV, you must be female and not have openly lived in contradiction of the state of virginity. so if you were ever married or shacked up or anything else, you can’t be a CV, but perhaps you’ve come back to the Church or converted and are now feeling called to live a consecrated, single life.

6stonejars.com/index.cfm/2008/2/13/Vocation-to-the-Single-Life-FollowUp

Of course there are secular institutes, but I’m thinking something more. In another thread, I posted about the Sisters of St. Joseph Agregee which might be perfect for me.

[quote="michelleds, post:3, topic:268700"]
No. I'm actually female. :)

[/quote]

Duh. I should have looked at your username. :)

[quote="michelleds, post:3, topic:268700"]
No. I'm actually female. :)

I've read (but only minimally) about Consecrated Singles--both male and female--which are similar to Diocesan Hermit but more "in the world". it is similar to Consecrated Virgin but for a CV, you must be female and not have openly lived in contradiction of the state of virginity. so if you were ever married or shacked up or anything else, you can't be a CV, but perhaps you've come back to the Church or converted and are now feeling called to live a consecrated, single life.

6stonejars.com/index.cfm/2008/2/13/Vocation-to-the-Single-Life-FollowUp

Of course there are secular institutes, but I'm thinking something more. In another thread, I posted about the Sisters of St. Joseph Agregee which might be perfect for me.

[/quote]

Does a consecrated single make a promise of celibacy?

[quote="TrueLight, post:5, topic:268700"]
Does a consecrated single make a promise of celibacy?

[/quote]

From what I gather, yes, to be publicly consecrated, the person would take the vow of celibacy and obedience (to the Bishop) and I'm not sure about the vow of poverty.

So it’s definitely a vow? I used the word “promise” because I wasn’t sure if that’s what it was.

I guess my question is how is that different from someone who just chooses to be single?

well, again, from the limited information I’ve gathered, it would appear that the difference is that one is consecrating him or herself as a person who is going to dedicate their time and energy to the Church instead of a marriage. so it’s an embracing of the vocation. If you read that article I posted above, that might help better than me. :slight_smile: I’m not very good at explaining this since I can’t find much about it.

[quote="michelleds, post:1, topic:268700"]
I know there's been a couple of threads about this topic, but they weren't as illuminating as I'd like.

To start with and to limit the discussion, I'm *specifically *talking about a public consecration, similar to a diaconate hermit or a consecrated virgin. does anyone know of such a thing? I wouldn't qualify as a consecrated virgin, lest anyone is wanting to suggest such a thing.

I feel called to make a statement, to answer a call, to love and serve Jesus, but I don't necessarily feel called to living in community. perhaps I will discern/discover that that feeling is actually springing from my own insecurities or fears, but since I'm just starting the discerning process, I'm exploring all options. If I was 18 again, I think I'd be thinking about a cloistered, contemplative community; but at 43, things are different.

I do like the diaconate hermit--but I'd be more of a pseudo-hermit since my work is so public.

So, what have you all got?

I've read Fr. Dubay's And You Are Christ's (loved it, two thumbs up) and have just ordered The Mystery of Love for the Single: A Guide for Those Who Follow the Single Vocation in the World by O.F.M., CAP. Father Dominic J. Unger. (I've also read Intro to a Devout Life, Imitation of Christ, and many others).

[/quote]

Greetings Michelleds,

I would talk to the Bishop about what you are feeling. In the end it will be He that will accept or deny whether you will be admitted under Canon 603. Are you familiar with Canon 603?

And another option, there is nothing wrong with making private vows. One could make private vows to live the three evangelical counsels. One can make a statement, follow and love Jesus, and to answer a call in other ways other than public consecrated life. One can privately consecrate their lives. If one pursues this direction, I would counsel them to get a spiritual director and work with them. In this case I would also counsel getting a priest who is 100% practicing and believeing all of the what the Magisterium of the Catholic Church has to say.

I will pray as you discern.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.