Consecrated Virginity

Is anyone here, other than myself, discerning this very unique vocation?

I am! :slight_smile:

(Also known as MaterMisericordiae on Phatmass)

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:2, topic:318523"]
I am! :)

(Also known as MaterMisericordiae on Phatmass)

[/quote]

Well I guess you know who this is!

Virginity has been my greatest struggle, so it remains my most sacred praise to God.

[quote="the171, post:3, topic:318523"]
Well I guess you know who this is!

[/quote]

Nope, I don't know you from Adam. ;)

I am as well.

Awesome. You see, so few of us. True soldiers I believe. To give up one's own desire of human nature itself, for the deeper relationship of the creator Himself. How profound, such is true love. Bravo my brother and sisters!

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

I inquired about this, but was told that one poor choice that I made when I was a teenager made it an impossibility. :o

I looked this up on Wikipedia (for what that's worth). Are there really only 215 consecrated virgins in the U.S.?

[quote="Rosary_Girl, post:8, topic:318523"]
I inquired about this, but was told that one poor choice that I made when I was a teenager made it an impossibility. :o

I looked this up on Wikipedia (for what that's worth). Are there really only 215 consecrated virgins in the U.S.?

[/quote]

There really are very few of them. I do know of them. Great lady!

[quote="Rosary_Girl, post:8, topic:318523"]

[/quote]

While you may not be able to be a Consecrated Virgin, you can still make a vow of chastity for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:10, topic:318523"]
While you may not be able to be a Consecrated Virgin, you can still make a vow of chastity for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven.

[/quote]

I'm married now. :shrug:

As things stand at the moment, would this be a private vow of Chastity for the sake of The Kingdom only?

What resources can one read to determine if this is the right vocation? I am over 30 and a virgin. Would love to be married but that doesn't seem to be happening. I don't want to ignore this if this is really my vocation. :confused:

It’s important to discern this vocation thoroughly, and with a competent spiritual director, as it’s a)not a well-known/understood vocation by many people, even priests (The priests I talked to didn’t really know what I was talking about) b) once you’re consecrated there’s no going back. It’s a specific and distinct public vocation, and should not be looked at as “I’m past my prime, unmarried and still a virgin, I should become a consecrated virgin.”

Here’s some light reading on Consecrated Virgins:

consecratedvirgins.org/usacv/sites/default/files/documents/VocRes1-1InfoPkt_new.pdf

Private vows seem the most common, but I don’t see what’s stopping someone from petitioning the bishop to make public vows.

Josephite marriage?? :wink:

Thank you for the response re private or puboic vow of Chastity. I had thought only a private vow of Chastity could be made - it’s for my information only and not as any sort of potential call to some sort of public vow.

I am!
Its something I've been thinking about for awhile. I am having difficulty, but I'm sure the Lord will eventually make it clear as I continue with my discernment. I've heard that this calling is something which crops up in the Church from time to time, when it is most needed. Perhaps now is one of those times!
The few people I've mentioned this to, besides my priest, had no idea it existed.
Glad to see other women are discerning this as well.

God Bless. My prayers are with you.

[quote="Flame4, post:16, topic:318523"]
I am!
Its something I've been thinking about for awhile. I am having difficulty, but I'm sure the Lord will eventually make it clear as I continue with my discernment. I've heard that this calling is something which crops up in the Church from time to time, when it is most needed. Perhaps now is one of those times!
The few people I've mentioned this to, besides my priest, had no idea it existed.
Glad to see other women are discerning this as well.

God Bless. My prayers are with you.

[/quote]

I had a couple of people tell me it sounded "like a hokey innovation of Vatican II".:rolleyes: What part of Canada are you from?

Deo: I'm around Toronto :)

Someone told me they would like to see me as a nun, but not as something "they've never heard of".:shrug: I told them: You've heard of it now. :D

I'll keep you in my prayers!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.