Consecration -not by a priest

Is it possible for someone to consecrate the bread and wine outside of Catholicism? I know Protestants try to.

Yes, Eastern Orthodox priest are able to consecrate the Holy Host and every over sacrament. Illicit, but valid.

All denominations of Protestantism do not have valid sacraments except for Baptism.

However, there are some protestant denominations that do have invalid baptisms, which include Mormonism, seventh day Adventist, Jehovah Witnesses, and more.
But your mainstream Protestant sects like Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, Episcopalian, they have valid baptism.** But nothing else. **

[quote="teeboy, post:1, topic:291828"]
Is it possible for someone to consecrate the bread and wine outside of Catholicism? I know Protestants try to.

[/quote]

It is only possible to consecrate the Eucharist if one is a validly ordained priest. Churches that have valid holy orders and apostolic succession have priests that are validly ordained. This includes the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Churches, and some groups that broke away from the Catholic Church with a validly ordained bishop.

Oriental orthodox, and assyrian church of the east too i think.

[quote="JD27076, post:2, topic:291828"]
Yes, Eastern Orthodox priest are able to consecrate the Holy Host and every over sacrament. Illicit, but valid.

All denominations of Protestantism do not have valid sacraments except for Baptism.

[/quote]

And marriage.

Only those who have valid Apostolic Succession. No protestant or non denominational groups fall under this category since they are just broken away or lapsed Catholics, in essence.

Nobody else than a validly ordained priest can consecrate the Eucharist. As for a validly ordained priest, there would be other criteria, but a non-priest cannot validly consecrate.

Most Protestants do not try to consecrate the bread and wine. They say communion is just symbolic.

When I converted to Catholicism from Protestantism, the notion of Sacraments as they exsist in the CC was foreign to me. Communion was a dramatic symbolic reenactment of what happened in the upper room. No attempt at consecretion.

NO.

I’d be careful about their baptisms too. Some baptize not using the “Trinitarian formula” which is the only valid way but using the “in the name of the creator, redeemer, and sanctifier” for politically correct reasons which is wrong.

I think so . It is in remebrance of the sacrifice of the Incarnation on calvary, just.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.