Consecration of the Host

I need to know what words have to be said at Mass by the Priest to have a valid consecration of the host. Today at Mass when the Priest usually say’s something along these lines; "While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” (Mathew 26:26), the Priest replaced disciples with friends. Then later I heard him say friends again. I really would like to know what needs to be done in order for a valid consecration. I have a good idea but I need detailed information. Also would changing Disciple to friends cause and invalid consecration?

My understanding is that the key words are “this is my body” and “this is my blood.”

Other words should not be altered, but they don’t affect the validity of the consecration.

Perhaps this article by Jimmy Akin will be of interest: jimmyakin.org/2005/05/consecration_va.html

Okay good to know.

I’m tired of words being changed here and there in the masses, and I’m tired of trying to tell my family that the Priest shouldn’t change the words. I tell my parents and they just shrug it off like I’m fretting too much. Change a little here and a little there and pretty soon they’ll be trying to change the Words of Consecration and it won’t be a valid Mass. I think it’s definitely something to worry about.

It may have been the Eucharistic prayer for Masses with Children. Scroll down to EP for Children I.

"On the night before he died, Jesus was having supper with his apostles. He took bread from the table. He gave you thanks and praise. Then he broke the bread, gave it to his friends, and said: "

It is supposed to be used for Masses where it is mostly children, but it is a valid prayer.

I really do think you are exaggerating. All priests know that the words of consecration cannot be changed…

They might know they can’t be changed but they might try to on purpose. Liturgical abuses go abound nowadays.

Except when they’re not “abuses,” but legitimate, if perhaps unfamiliar, variations. See post 4 above.

We certainly have a right to a Liturgy said properly, reverently, and following the rubrics, but it’s unclear to me what a priest’s motivation would be for deliberately invalidating a Mass – a fear that is expressed so freqently around here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.