Consecration to BVM

Hi all,

Last year I made the total consecration to Jesus through Mary with the St. Louis de Monfort method. I remember I made it on the Feast of the Presentation, but as I wasn’t able to go to Mass that day, I prayed the consecration prayer at home and took Communion the following Sunday.

I’ve been struggling in my prayer life, but I’m slowly adding the devotions and prayers back in; praying the rosary again made me think of the total consecration; I think I was supposed to pray a rosary every day, but I haven’t. Depression and overall spiritual struggles have made the rosary really hard to say, and even though I prayed it yesterday (for the first time in about two months), it was very difficult.

I am just wondering if my consecration was valid or if I need to do it over again, because I didn’t keep up obligations. I’ve wondered for a while now if I even did it properly in the first place. Does my consecration to Our Lady “count,” or should I do it over?

Your consecration continues until you say it dosen’t…or simple do not want to continue it.
There is no sin to discontinue this if you wish. But if you haven’t wanted it discontinued then it is still in effect.

I would recommend that you simply renew your consecration in your intention to Mary in your own words and then live it.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

The consecration is a private devotion. Talk of it being “valid” or “counting” does not really apply.

You can always opt to renew the consecration, though. I’ve done it more than once. It’s all about drawing closer to Jesus through Mary.

Thanks all. As a former Baptist, some of these devotions confuse me; I’ve only been Catholic for a little over a year, so sometimes I wonder if I’m doing everything “right.” Of course, the logical side of me agrees with you all and I feel silly to have worried over anything. I suppose now I have to call my mother. :smiley:

God bless!

Your consecration still “counts,” it will count until the day you choose to revoke it, which hopefully you will never do. You should, however, renew your consecration once a year on the same Feastday of the Presentation. God bless you.

Even though it is only a private devotion this consecration still “counts.” It will be in effect for the person who makes the consecration until the day he revokes his consecration. God bless you.

What’s this once per year stuff?
Why not DAILY renewal of your consecration?

O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and Our Mother, you who dislikes pride, bathe me with your humility.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, as at Cana, pray to your Son for me, tell him: “They have no love”, and give me the grace to do charity work like you.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, obtain for me the sight that contemplates everything by the light of faith.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, you are, after Jesus, all my hope, teach me to trust in God’s Providence.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, that your name, said with confidence, be my recourse when I must renounce the passions of the spirit and of the flesh, so as to let God in.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, in your magnificent canticle you said: “My soul doth glorify the Lord”. Obtain for me the grace that I desire nothing other than God.
O Mary, Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God and our Mother, please obtain for me that I may faithfully obey God’s will and bear my crosses in peace and to always love more.

I accept your clarification. God bless you, too. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Thanks!

Thank you all for your clarification and prayers! I’m now trying to pray at least a decade of the rosary daily (the advice of Fr. John Ekhert, who I was able to confess with at a conference :D) and I’m looking into the scapular devotion. God bless you all!

+
O Mary, my dear Mother, how much I love You. And yet in reality how little. You do teach me what I ought to know for you teach me what Jesus is to me and what I ought to be for Jesus. Dearly beloved Mother, how close to God you are, and how utterly filled with Him. In the measure that we know God, we remind ourselves of you. Mother of God, obtain for me the grace of loving my Jesus; obtain for me the grace of loving you. Amen. Alleluia.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.