Consecration to Mary and devotion do what?

Hello all. I was wandering what exactly is devotion and Consecration to Mary? I’m a little weirded out by this and need help understanding. It’s not that we draw close to her right? Rather Consecration to her prayer for us? I’m in RCIA and do believe Mary should be honored, guess I’m still having fear in asking for her prayers. I of course don’t want put anything above God. So I would to hear you guyses info about Mary. Just need my conscience settled. Thanks and God bless!!

God Bless…here is a wonderful explanation of it. Its ok to be fearful in getting to know her. Its been engrained in our culture for centuries that its wrong to pray for anyones intercession but most especially hers. Remember…to know/love and honor the Mother of God is something Jesus did 1st. Many believe St. Paul actually knew what he did of the Lord thru Mary.

http://www.rosary-center.org/consecrt.htm

A good way to understand Mary on a personal level…is of course to start praying the Rosary i would use the laudate app or a scriptural app on youtube…but one can especially know her thru the 7 sorrows Rosary…also many good ones on youtube.

http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix1.htm

A bit perplexed buy by language such as “put trust in Mary, know her, devotion, her power, her keeping us safe” is this just language that refers to her intercession for us which ultimately leads to safety and special graces with Jesus? Or do you actually believe she has power? It’s just seems like another savior or goddess… Not saying it absolutely is… But when I read or hear that kind of stuff I’m worried it’s wrong. I’ve even heard a bishop say “give your salvation to Mary”. So does this mean she prays for our salvation or does she actually give us certain things? Uggh… Sometimes I’m like hey I found God church, other times I’m like is this just fallen into apostasy? Sorry it’s all just very overwhelming

2 Likes

Thank you for the links btw. Very informative

1 Like

She doesn’t give us Salvation. God alone gives that.
She gives us help in the form of graces and intercessory prayers.
Graces are usually things like humility, charity, an improvement in our spiritual understanding, final perseverance. They are things that help us in our life and in getting to know Jesus better.
Intercessory prayers are where she prays to God on our behalf. Like she goes to Jesus and says "Hey, JesusReigns is asking for help with this. Can you grant his request please if it be Your will? I really think you should, but it’s up to you. Your will be done."
It’s like in the Bible when she said to Jesus at the wedding, “They just ran out of wine…” hinting he should do something to help. But it was Jesus’ decision whether to do something or not, and how much wine to create.

1 Like

This is from the Catechism on Mary.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

Well when we pray to Jesus its thru the intercession of Mary because we believe she is the Co-Mediatrix/redemptrix/advocate with Jesus.

A way that we justify Marys ability to intercede for us scripturally is from the wedding feast at cana. When Mary yold Jesus there was no wine…and He told the servants to fill the pitchers etc and Mary said “do whatever he tells u.”

Also…on the Cross Jesus said to St. John…“behold thy Mother…woman behold thy Son”. We believe she is Our Mother.

Her role in our salvation alongside Jesus is why we call her the co-Redemptrix. At the prophecy of simeon when Jesus was presented to the rabbi…he said “a sword will pierce your heart and the thoughts and hearts of many will be known to u.” Mary concieved without sin (to be a pure vessel for God incarnate) feels everything more deeply than us and she was granted with special graces to help us…hence 1 of the ancient prayers…O Mary concieved without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Part 2

Mary sees her Son in the ppl who have her son within them…she is truly Our Mother and we are united in the Mystical Body of Christ. The Church penitent (purgatory)/militant (on earth)/triumphant(in heaven)

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. — 1 Corinthians 12:12-14

We can call on her for help as she has power also over evil…the passage that says “he will strike your heel…she will crush his head”…because of this Catholics pray for her help. Here is an ancient prayer to her…

We turn to you for protection, holy Mother of God. Listen to our prayers and help us in our needs. Save us from every danger, glorious and blessed Virgin.

She prays for our salvation and also is an integral part of our salvation…known as her fiat. She said yes to the Angel “i am the handmade of the Lord let it be done unto me.” She is the new Eve/the new Ark. Without Mary there would be no redemption for us.

So when we consecrate our lives to Jesus Christ thru Mary we are recognizing her in her special role of our salvation which gives her special powers to intercede for us in protection of evil and most especially to her Son Our Lord Jesus Christ…the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity.

Hence why we pray this prayer the memorare… (i pray this at the end of all my prayers…)

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, we fly unto thee, O Virgin of Virgins my Mother;
to thee do we come; before thee do we stand, sinful and sorrowful;
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not our petitions,
but in thy mercy hear and answer us. Amen

The Hail Mary prayer or Ave Maria…has this scriptural foundation behind it.

https://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/rosary/scripture.htm

Here is a great link with many encyclicals on Mariology

https://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/coredemedadv.htm

Co-Redemptrix is a Catholic theological concept referring to Mary’s role in the redemption of all peoples.

Co-Mediatrix the title Mediatrix refers to the intercessory role of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a mediator in the salvific redemption by her son Jesus Christ, and that he bestows graces through her. Mediatrix is an ancient title that has been used by a number of saints since at least the 5th century.

Mary as Advocate: https://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP2MARY1.HTM

I hope this helps.

Not to take away from Mary - I myself am fine with her being Co-redemptrix and Mediatrix - but to avoid confusion it should be stated that Mary as Co-redemptrix is still a controversial idea and it has not yet been made dogma of the church. Some Catholics believe it and promote it, and some do not because they have concerns about it putting her equal with Jesus, or making Protestants more confused about her role.

1 Like

Think of the Wedding feast at Cana. In that story Mary leads the people to Jesus. She tells them: “Do whatever He tells you.”

This is our relationship to Mary too. She has real power, she interceeds for us and draws us closer to Christ. She also can comfort us in our need. Praying to Mary will inevitably bring us closer to Jesus, and closer to Salvation.

3 Likes

Yes thats correct…good call.

If you make a consecration to Mary, I think it will (She will) push you invariably closer to Jesus. That is what Mary is all about in what she wants for her children. I have found that in my life after I made my consecration. Mary will just give you a big ole push towards her divine Son! (in a Queen-like fashion always, of course.)

1 Like

I think consecration to Mary is awesome.
But I also think it requires some hard spiritual work. You don’t just say “Oh I’m consecrated to Mary” and that’s that.
You’re committing to wear the Scapular all the time, pray the Rosary every day, do other things in honor of Mary such as give to the poor. When you get indulgences you don’t keep them for yourself or say “ok this is for my Uncle John”, you give them all to Mary and then ask if maybe she and Jesus would consider giving that indulgence to Uncle John (the odds are if he needs the help they will not refuse your request, but it still gives you less control).

You also are supposed to go through a fairly long process of prayer and reflection and retreat-type activities before you do a Marian consecration. And renew it from time to time.

I’m not trying to talk anybody out of doing it, I just think there is sometimes a tendency for Catholics to go “oh I’m consecrating myself to Mary” and then not do any of the real work associated with it. Not pointing at anyone on this thread, or on this forum - I know there are people here who have done the whole month or whatever of preparation for their consecrations and really taken it seriously - but some of the people I meet at church, I’m not sure how much they do. Now I’m also sure Mary appreciates their efforts just as much if not more…but I have held off doing mine because I want to be really ready to give over control to Mary and do a really good job of consecrating myself to her, like Matt Talbot, or somebody really serious about it. So maybe I do it next year. I got both of the books (33 Days to Morning Glory and the Louis de Montfort one) so when I am ready everything is right here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.