Consecration to Mary

I am confused.:hmmm: As I understand it, in St. Louis de Montfort’s consecration to Mary a person offers all their works, sacrifices and prayers for Mary to dispose of as she wants to. I think it’s also like that in the Kolbe consecration to Mary. My question is, can you still pray specifically for other people, or do your prayers of intercession need to be general so that Mary can dispose them where she wants to?

Thanks for answering!

I’m no expert, so speaking from ignorance… :smiley:

Mary wants to lead us to Jesus (“do whatever he tells you”). The point of consecrating oneself to her is grow closer to Jesus. So I don’t think she’d have a problem with asking intercession of other saints–just doesn’t seem like her. She loves all people with the heart of a mother and that love is never jealous. So she wants us to pray and I think the more we do so, the happier she’ll be.

jb

In St. Louis de Montfort’s book, he says we can indeed make specific requests of Mary. However, we submit completely to her right to supersede our requests or reject them. All requests must be made in perfect humility, in the willingness to accept her will even when she refuses us.

She is the Queen of our prayers and gifts. We can make requests, but she delivers the verdict, and she can say no to us or yes and we are glad to have her dispose of our goods and offerings in the way she has in mind above whatever way we have in mind. All that we have belongs to her. We are only making recommendations, just requests, for how she use property that is hers to do with as she wills, and she is not bound to obey us. However, she is a most gracious Queen, so she tends to help us a whole lot. :thumbsup:

I really am not trying to be flippant…dosen’t that describe what prayer is all about anyway? I can’t imagine demanding God to fulfill my desires. Begging yes, demanding no:p

This question has caused some people to hesitate to make the Montfort consecration. But we can do so with complete confidence.

In addition to Lief Erikson’s comment, I would add that I asked a good priest who had made the Montfort consecration this same question: can I still offer Masses, prayers, etc. for my own intentions? He told me that yes, I should continue to do so, and that in all likelihood Mary had placed those intentions on my heart to begin with.

Sometimes I will offer a Mass, Rosary, etc. for a particular intention of mine, with the understanding that if Mary wants to dispose of the graces of those prayers in a different way she is free to do so.

At other times I simply offer a Mass, Rosary, etc. “for Mary’s intentions,” knowing that she is aware of all my needs and intentions and will not neglect the needs of her servant and child.

Pray as the Holy Spirit leads you. Mary would not want you to do otherwise, as her will is completely united to that of her divine Spouse.

Well sure, we should never demand that God give us anything. Granted :). Part of the Consecration is about developing in ourselves the appropriate spiritual attitude toward prayer, Mary and God.

We normally pray with a specific intention, and God can answer it or not as He pleases. It is still our intention and our works, prayers or holiness from God “making the motion,” and it’s a specific motion we’re making rather than one Mary will change as she pleases.

With the Consecration, Mary is in charge. It’s her works, prayers and holiness “making the motion” in all our prayers, and it’s her motion being made, not ours. Any prayers are answered because of her and any spiritual rewards we might normally receive as a result of our prayers or works go to her because it’s her prayers and works doing everything (or 99.9999999% of everything). She can then distribute them to us as or if she chooses. Everything becomes about her, and Christ through her.

Also, back to prayers again and away from rewards, normally Mary would consider our requests and reject or accept them on their own merits. With the Consecration, our works and prayers become hers and she can change them at will, using them exactly in accordance with her will because we’ve given them over to her intentions and made all our spiritual property subject to her. Not only to her “yes” or “no,” but to her, “I think I’ll do this with it instead.” She has more flexibility because it’s all her property. Our whole selves and every work and petition we have are her property. She isn’t responding to an outsider forwarding their petition, but rather is disposing of her own goods.

[quote="Rebelecka, post:1, topic:176807"]
I am confused.:hmmm: As I understand it, in St. Louis de Montfort's consecration to Mary a person offers all their works, sacrifices and prayers for Mary to dispose of as she wants to. I think it's also like that in the Kolbe consecration to Mary. My question is, can you still pray specifically for other people, or do your prayers of intercession need to be general so that Mary can dispose them where she wants to?

Thanks for answering!

[/quote]

Hi, I think this is answered in a part of the book, but I can't remember :blush:

I had the same question!!

Yes we can pray for other people.... if you want to offer up something for them (like a work or a suffering), then you can ask Mary to consider your request, if it's according to God's will (which she knows because she only ever does His will :)) it will happen.

God bless!

So please in a very easy explanation, can someone explain to me as if I were a child, what and how to make a Consecration to Mary?

Thanks!

[quote="katiebelle08, post:8, topic:176807"]
So please in a very easy explanation, can someone explain to me as if I were a child, what and how to make a Consecration to Mary?
Thanks!

[/quote]

Goto this link and read the first #4 (Consecration . .) for the 'what' . . . (written by Cardnial Arinze)
familyland.org/information.asp?ContentCategoryID=587

For the 'how' here is a link to a free - online - and comprehensive whole-family consecration . . .
familyland.be/family_consecration/introduction-to-consecration-to-the-holy-family.html

ALSO, here is a very good Q&A on Consecration to Jesus Thru Mary : familyland.be/mercy/51b-catechism-on-true-devotion-to-mary-17.html

I am so glad to know the above-referenced website!

I just completed studying Montfort’s treatise and need to go back and re-read it more slowly. I couldn’t wait to get to the meat of “what to do”!

As I understand it, we should empty ourselves of all of our desires, wishes, intentions, etc., and “simply” live our lives focusing on becoming one with Jesus through Mary. Sounds easy!!! If this be true, we don’t have to worry about offering a prayer or action for, e.g., our children. The Blessed Virgin knows all of our desires and the needs of those whom we love. She does not have to be asked to send blessings on them; she will just do it. It takes away much anxiety, as I see it. We pray and begin to live as Holy Mary prayed and lived, united to Jesus and thus to the Father. The path will be straight and our merits made exceedingly more beneficial to ourselves and those we love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.