Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Last night at Mass they had a ceremony where several people consecrated their lives to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

We are a very traditional parish, the priest faces the altar, an altar rail etc. Well something happened and I wondered if anyone had ever seen this in a traditional parish or any other Catholic parish.

One of the women fell backwards to the floor and a gentleman caught her head and neck before it hit the floor, another woman bent over her until after a few minutes she was able to sit up and enter her pew. The priest and others involved just went on with the prayers. I am familiar with the Charismatic movement and wondered if she was what they call “being slain in the Spirit”. I asked one of the women involved and she said yes that is what happened and that she also was feeling the same way, but did not fall, she said she had never been involved with the Charismatic groups.

I was really surprised to see this outside of a prayer meeting. Our priest is very traditional and since he didn’t stop and attend to the woman, I assume this has happened before.

I don’t doubt that the Holy Spirit can touch people, but it was so unusual to happen in a non Charismatic circle.

I am just curious if anyone else has seen this type of incident before.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

Sorry wrong forum, if the moderators would, could they move this post to the Apologetics forum?

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry I don’t know the answer, but I just wanted to say that one of the parishes in my area is really traditional, but they also have many charismatics go there as well. The church looks traditional and there’s an organ and everything but they also have a prayer group.

btw that is wonderful about the Consecration :smiley:

God bless!

Last night at Mass they had a ceremony where several people consecrated their lives to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

We are a very traditional parish, the priest faces the altar, an altar rail etc. Well something happened and I wondered if anyone had ever seen this in a traditional parish or any other Catholic parish.

One of the women fell backwards to the floor and a gentleman caught her head and neck before it hit the floor, another woman bent over her until after a few minutes she was able to sit up and enter her pew. The priest and others involved just went on with the prayers. I am familiar with the Charismatic movement and wondered if she was what they call “being slain in the Spirit”. I asked one of the women involved and she said yes that is what happened and that she also was feeling the same way, but did not fall, she said she had never been involved with the Charismatic groups.

I was really surprised to see this outside of a prayer meeting. Our priest is very traditional and since he didn’t stop and attend to the woman, I assume this has happened before.

I don’t doubt that the Holy Spirit can touch people, but it was so unusual to happen in a non Charismatic circle.

I am just curious if anyone else has seen this type of incident before.

Bernadette

Perhaps it’s a matter of our Lord pouring out his spirit, regardless of inclinations in regards to the faith. I’d love to be there, seriously, this is impressive if it’s real.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.