Conservative Cardinal [Burke] Who Clashed With Pope Francis Confirms He Has Been Ousted

+JMJ+

buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/conservative-cardinal-who-clashed-with-pope-francis-confirms

When arguing with the boss, it us important to look at both sides: his side and the outside.

Also in the NC Reporter ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/cardinal-burke-reportedly-confirms-vatican-ouster

I get the impression that Pope Francis may want to break with 2000 years of Catholic Tradition.

Please be charitable when posting

+JMJ+

Cardinal Burke reportedly confirms Vatican ouster: ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/cardinal-burke-reportedly-confirms-vatican-ouster

This is not a good sign. :frowning:

From the article OP:

“I very much have enjoyed and have been happy to give this service, so it is a disappointment to leave it,” Burke said, explaining that he hadn’t yet received a formal notice of transfer. “On the other hand, in the church as priests, we always have to be ready to accept whatever assignment we’re given. And so I trust, by accepting this assignment, I trust that God will bless me, and that’s what’s in the end most important.”

Not sure what that means. A non-confirmation confirmation?

+JMJ+

Cardinal Burke has been informally told of his reassignment, but he has not received the formal notice yet.

Maybe. If so, it explains his lashing out this week.

Maybe. If so, it explains his lashing out this week.

I am surprised by your take on this. Are you saying you think the midway Relatio was sound? That Catholics shouldn’t be alarmed at the radical changes proposed?

I’ll be interested to hear your take, God bless, Annem

I didn’t make any comment on the Relatio. Cardinal Burke has made unusual comments attacking others all week and this news may explain some of it.
-g

I am extremely sad and concerned…I admire Cardinal Burke and his views…now is a time for deep prayer for the Church. I am a convert from the Lutheran(ELCA) Church and saw this gradual slide…Lord have mercy and let us all pray.

mlz

Very sad news indeed. May Our Lord Bless & protect Cardinal Burke in his new position. He is a great asset to our Church. He was Ordained by a Saint, Consecrated by a Saint.:highprayer:
And he has given his life in service to Holy Mother Church. And when you meet him in person, he has a great sense of humilty about him. I am sure our Lord has a space reserved for him in heaven. He has my respect & prayers. Best of wishes in his future position. The people of Malta, will be blessed to have him. God bless Cardinal Raymond Burke.:signofcross:

Here is a bit of information on Cardinal Burke, for those people who might not know much about him.
“Raymond Leo Burke (born June 30, 1948) is an American cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the current Cardinal Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, having previously served as Archbishop of St. Louis (2003–2008) and Bishop of La Crosse (1994–2003). The cardinal is also a prominent canon lawyer and is often perceived as a voice of conservatism in the Roman Catholic Church and within American politics. On October 17, 2014, Burke confirmed to Buzzfeed that Pope Francis would soon oust him.”
Orders

Ordination
June 29, 1975
by Pope Paul VI

Consecration
January 6, 1995
by Pope John Paul II

Created Cardinal
November 20, 2010
by Pope Benedict XVI

Rank
Cardinal-Deacon

Previous post
Roman Catholic Bishop of La Crosse (1994–2003)
Roman Catholic Archbishop of St. Louis (2004–2008)

Alma mater
Holy Cross Seminary
The Catholic University of
America.
Pontifical North American College, in Rome.
Pontifical Gregorian University, in Rome.

Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura

On June 27, 2008, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Cardinal Burke Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura.
More on his impressive background here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Leo_Burke

Do we know why he was ousted?
Does the Pope decide on such demotions himself?

I agree with you 100% on the gradual slide and that it needs our prayers. I am so thankful for the courage of the bishops. But I am still worried how this round of the Synod will play out in terms of what the final document says; I can’t even bring myself to think about us all going through this again in a year. Plus stressing about it for a year and rehashing the same exchanges over and over. We must stay focused however in spite of the mental fatigue; the future of the Church is at stake.

As for Burke, I think his apparent demotion ironically put him in a perfect position to walk the gauntlet, which he did and no doubt will continue to do brilliantly - I’ll give him that.

Isn’t the end result of this synod going to not be considered infallible by the Church’s standards for infallible teaching?

Of course he does, who else would? No one else has authority over cardinals.

No, it won’t be infallible… unless there is a dogmatic definition, which is highly unlikely. Remember, those things have requirements.

The end result of the 2014 synod is a paper that will be brought back by the bishops to their diocese to think about, pray over, and discuss. There will be another synod in October of 2015 that will finalize any recommendations by the bishops and those recommendations will go to the Holy Father. He may or may not make any changes in pastoral methods based upon those recommendations. None of this touches infallible teachings, they will remain the same.

That’s what I thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.