Conservative,moderate or liberal?

Hi there. I read an online study that said that most catholics here in the USA and in Mexico are either liberal and/or moderate for the most part-especially when it comes to contraception/birth control and divorce/annulments and things like that=pre-marital sex, etc etc etc…

So are they just Cultural Catholics then or something like that or what???

Why stay in the church if you/we don’t agree with the magesterium of the church-especially when it comes to sex/sexual issues???

What do you think?

Thanks…

I think I have an answer, but it's just a theory. Living in America, we have inherited sense of freedom. We can pick and choose from so much here-politics, life-you name it-American love freedom. We're not used to subscribing to all of what a certain church or group demands. That's why people can be choosy about what to believe and what not to believe when it comes to a church.

No, I'm not saying it's right. Nor am I saying it's iron-clad. It's just my thoughts..

Some catholics I know are very liberal on issues regarding abortions and contraceptions because they are ignorant of the Church's position on why these things are prohibited.

I think that we, as informed catholics should try to educate other catholics though sometimes its really hard cuz they seem not to be interested in why the Church is against it.

These catholics though they do not embrace all of the church's teachings are still welcomed in our Church because they are still God's children. They may not understand the Church's position now but in the future, God may touch their hearts and show them why the Church opposes on these issues. Sometimes people learn the hard way through experience.

[quote="Rascalking, post:2, topic:225788"]
I think I have an answer, but it's just a theory. Living in America, we have inherited sense of freedom. We can pick and choose from so much here-politics, life-you name it-American love freedom. We're not used to subscribing to all of what a certain church or group demands. That's why people can be choosy about what to believe and what not to believe when it comes to a church.

No, I'm not saying it's right. Nor am I saying it's iron-clad. It's just my thoughts..

[/quote]

That seems a pretty good summary to me. I'd add one more thing to it - it seems that there is also a failure to put the Church in a category by itself, to see it as more than just one more "organization" to which one belongs and that if one gets bored with it or angry at it one can just quit like they'd quit the gardening club or the school board or something.

The Church is the Body of Christ which we were sacramentally brought into at our Baptism.

It is easier for people, no matter their religion, to follow and make up their own rules. The easier the better, there are the ones out there who claim to go by only the natural law, and yet still feel they know better and resolve to follow their own way, a religion unto themselves. So we pray, Peace, Carlan

I think it is a matter of a poorly catechized population trying to teach a new generation a set of values that society does not support.

[quote="Rascalking, post:2, topic:225788"]
I think I have an answer, but it's just a theory. Living in America, we have inherited sense of freedom. We can pick and choose from so much here-politics, life-you name it-American love freedom.

[/quote]

I totally agree with this. In America, many people are obsessed with the idea of "freedom," so much so that the ideas and choices they make are theirs and "right," no matter if they infringe on the rights of others. There's a big sense of entitlement and independence in this country, and "belonging to" or even subscribing to a church's views leave many to feel that they've somehow lost their freedom.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:6, topic:225788"]
I think it is a matter of a poorly catechized population trying to teach a new generation a set of values that society does not support.

[/quote]

I agree with that. In Canada, teachers in the Catholic school have their right to live with their boyfriend/gilrfriend and can not be discriminate against. What does that teach the children?

Most of my peers grew up in households where the parents mentality was 'They are going to have sex anyway, might as well make sure they don't get pregnant' Or mother's who take contraceptives and choose the attitude 'Everyone does it' How else are people suppose to learn to live a chaste life.

I even know one girl who was baptized Catholic but never went to mass tell me 'It is an old wives tale that the church is against contraceptives'. Other genuinly believe the Church changed its stance years ago

What else do we expect?

CM

[quote="pamnbam, post:7, topic:225788"]
I totally agree with this. In America, many people are obsessed with the idea of "freedom," so much so that the ideas and choices they make are theirs and "right," no matter if they infringe on the rights of others. There's a big sense of entitlement and independence in this country, and "belonging to" or even subscribing to a church's views leave many to feel that they've somehow lost their freedom.

[/quote]

Thanks.

Make no mistake-I love my country (America) dearly. I think it's the best country in the world, and one of the reasons it is BECAUSE of our freedom.

[quote="Rascalking, post:9, topic:225788"]
Thanks.

Make no mistake-I love my country (America) dearly. I think it's the best country in the world, and one of the reasons it is BECAUSE of our freedom.

[/quote]

I totally agree with you there, too!

[quote="3DOCTORS, post:4, topic:225788"]
That seems a pretty good summary to me. I'd add one more thing to it - it seems that there is also a failure to put the Church in a category by itself, to see it as more than just one more "organization" to which one belongs and that if one gets bored with it or angry at it one can just quit like they'd quit the gardening club or the school board or something.

The Church is the Body of Christ which we were sacramentally brought into at our Baptism.

[/quote]

:clapping::yup:

Excellent post. The Church gets lumped in with all the other moral relativism that is pervasive in our society.

[quote="jasonsdec77, post:1, topic:225788"]

Why stay in the church if you/we don't agree with the magesterium of the church-especially when it comes to sex/sexual issues???

[/quote]

If you could not pay your mortgage, and never get foreclosed, would you? Would you pay your electric if they wouldn't shut it off? Catholics stay in until they get evicted.

Among those who self-identify as Catholic, at least in the US, mass attendance on Sunday is about 20 percent, and much less, only a few percent, believe in Catholicism.

Ok, so then what should I do? I Lived in Mexico for about 8 years or so, even though I was born here in the USA. And I love the catholicism down there in Mexico, but here WE are the Minority-catholics in the USA…

So I don’t know what to do/I"m not sure what to do…

p.s. I"m 33 and torn between either staying or going back to the mega church a la Joel Osteen style or just going to nothing/no church at all…

I think we need to worry about being orthodox Catholics-accepting and living out all the teachings of the Catholic Church. No ,most Catholics in this country dont and many are just culturally Catholic, if that. I think at best many have compartmentalized their lives, and thats where the problems come in.Maybe even some who attend fairly regularly, have their Sunday Mass Catholic time and then put it Catholicism away till next week. We need to have a holistic approach to our faith, it needs to be integretated into every part of our lives. Our faith shouldnt be a part of our lives, IT SHOULD BE OUR LIVES. in everything we do we should do it as Catholics, I guess for some people this would be a novel concept:mad: But then as some have pointed out you need to know your faith before any of that is possible and many dont and usually the ones who dont just arent all that interested. How many Catholics do you think participate in forums like this to learn or discuss their faith?So I applaud those who do come here even though I don`t agree with everything I see posted here at least they care enough to be interested.

Great post…it’s a wake up call to each and every one of us to really live out our Catholic faith during all parts of the day. When we have free time and put our faith in the back of our brains it can lead to sin. It makes you really think about how we are in a battle and always need to be ready.

Most of the seats are between the 30 yard lines, but those sitting in the end zones make the most noise.

I would agree with Fr. Corapi on this one - the truth is in black and white, and you're either in the truth or out of it, there can be no dilution of the absolute truth - the devil's favourite colour is grey he says, how true.

Recently in a catechesis class, the teacher informed us that there was no such thing as mortal sin anymore - it was instead about considering whether we were turned to face God or turned away from Him. It's exactly this kind of wishy-washy politically correct rubbish that has modern Catholics in confusion. I was made to feel like sin was a swear word. The Catechism has not changed, so neither should we.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:6, topic:225788"]

[/quote]

That touches on the problem, but you have to delve into more.

To have the mentality that if I just indoctrinate them young enough they will be believers forever is wrong. We don't want brainwashed people, we want thinking believing people. That involves information, discussion, and example.

I would say that the current generation is being catechized exactly the way their parents want them to believe. The actions at home are just as powerful as the lessons at Church. Most Catholics don't really believe, and that is what they are passing on to the next generation.

[quote="jasonsdec77, post:13, topic:225788"]
Ok, so then what should I do? I Lived in Mexico for about 8 years or so, even though I was born here in the USA. And I love the catholicism down there in Mexico, but here WE are the Minority-catholics in the USA.......

So I don't know what to do/I"m not sure what to do....

p.s. I"m 33 and torn between either staying or going back to the mega church a la Joel Osteen style or just going to nothing/no church at all....

[/quote]

It looks as though you are part of the majority here, if you view "just going to nothing/no church at all" as an option, and you are also not part of the minority of "Catholics" who believe in Catholicism, if you would join a Joel Osteen church.

So where's the beef? Is it, "contraception/birth control", "divorce/annulments and things like that", "pre-marital sex", or "sex/sexual issues"?

I'm not going to advise anyone to do something that would send them to hell, so it looks as though you will just need to believe.

[quote="trials, post:17, topic:225788"]
I would agree with Fr. Corapi on this one - the truth is in black and white, and you're either in the truth or out of it, there can be no dilution of the absolute truth - the devil's favourite colour is grey he says, how true.

Recently in a catechesis class, the teacher informed us that there was no such thing as mortal sin anymore - it was instead about considering whether we were turned to face God or turned away from Him. It's exactly this kind of wishy-washy politically correct rubbish that has modern Catholics in confusion. I was made to feel like sin was a swear word. The Catechism has not changed, so neither should we.

[/quote]

:eek: Jesus didn't go to the cross because our faces were turned away!!!!! He went because of our SINS SINS SINS SINS!!!!!!

Joel Osteen, he of the smile and blinking eyes (shows dishonesty), NEVER EVER SAYS THE WORD SIN, because people don't give him money if he reminds them of their SINS!!! So he talks about how God wants us all to be happy and prosperous, and how loving God is, how he loves us all the time and only wants us to be happy (and did I mention PROSPEROUS?). THIS MAKES ME SICK!!!

It is ALL ABOUT SIN!!! People just don't want to hear anything unpleasant, such as that premarital sex is ALWAYS harmful, that sex is for marriage and primarily for making children, not just for our own pleasure. They don't want to hear about the Seven Deadly Sins any more, aren't we past all that yet??? Hey maybe the 10 Commandments are also a "living, breathing document" that can be altered according to the times...like other important documents are thought of these days.

:dts:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.