Conservatives call on GOP leaders to step down

WASHINGTON—Six conservative leaders blasted Mitt Romney as a “weak, moderate” candidate and called for Republican Party leaders to resign a day after Democrats dealt the GOP a sweeping defeat in the 2012 elections. Brent Bozell, founder of the Media Research Center, Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List, and Jenny Beth Martin, national coordinator for the Tea Party Patriots, were among the press conference speakers who laid “the epic election failure of 2012” at the feet of Republican elites. Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus, Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, and House Speaker John Boehner were all identified as individuals who “should be replaced with leaders more in tune with the conservative base of the Republican Party..."

worldmag.com/2012/11/conservatives_call_on_gop_leaders_to_step_down

So I guess it's time to pass blame. :rolleyes:

[quote="HansTrappist, post:1, topic:304547"]
WASHINGTON—Six conservative leaders blasted Mitt Romney as a “weak, moderate” candidate and called for Republican Party leaders to resign a day after Democrats dealt the GOP a sweeping defeat in the 2012 elections. Brent Bozell, founder of the Media Research Center, Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List, and Jenny Beth Martin, national coordinator for the Tea Party Patriots, were among the press conference speakers who laid “the epic election failure of 2012” at the feet of Republican elites. Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus, Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, and House Speaker John Boehner were all identified as individuals who “should be replaced with leaders more in tune with the conservative base of the Republican Party..."

[/quote]

This would be a great start.

[quote="masondoggy, post:2, topic:304547"]
So I guess it's time to pass blame. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

There is enough blame to go around; especially in the group I belong to, the clergy. We send mixed and vague messages at best. You can look back in these threads and see people using the words of the bishops, including the bishop of Rome, to support a vote for a proven supporter of abortion.

The leadership of the Republican Party is in need of change, they are not preaching a consistent message. Is abortion wrong, or not? Its okay in rape and incest cases and in cases of the life of the mother, what? So murder is okay sometimes? It is just as stupid to say slavery is evil, except in Louisiana. (State of Louisiana was chosen at random because it is where I am.)

Another one, some abortion is bad, but the death penalty in this country is okay? No they are not equal in importance as far as intrinsic evil titles are concerned; but no one here in the USA can provide a situation where the DP is needed. We have the means to protect the sanctity of life, no matter how hideous we find that life. This is what God is asking us to do, protect the least of those among us.

What about immigration, what is the republican stance on immigration??? If I’m not mistaken every republican and democrat can trace his/her families back in the not so distant past to see they are descendants of immigrants them selves, what hypocrisy!

What about, I don’t know, you name it and you will see mixed messages. The Republican Party has no courage to say what they believe because they are afraid of the media, or they don’t know themselves, or a combination of the two. Thus you see groups like the Tea Party grow, and the Republican Party shrink.

This country is starving for a leader to step up and give good wholesome reasons to follow. With the entire Obama campaign being negative, it is obvious we have a vacuum where good leaders are concerned.

WASHINGTON—Six conservative leaders blasted Mitt Romney as a “weak, moderate” candidate and called for Republican Party leaders to resign a day after Democrats dealt the GOP a sweeping defeat in the 2012 elections. ...

[/quote]

God sent his own chosen people into exile in Babylon for their disobedience. It has become abundantly clear to the most casual observer that the majority of voters like big secular government that gives them "freebies" [some of them immoral] paid for by other people. What message could possibly compete with that? The conservative message of rising on your own initiative is falling on deaf ears. Therefore, the Republican Party is through because it couldn't defeat even the über liberals, and firing its leadership will not solve the problem because there is no message that can compete with the promise of a "free" lunch.

Perhaps its best course of action is for the long run by letting the Democrats have their way; and when society is finally in "exile" long enough, maybe then the voters will listen.

[quote="Lapey, post:4, topic:304547"]
There is enough blame to go around; especially in the group I belong to, the clergy. We send mixed and vague messages at best. You can look back in these threads and see people using the words of the bishops, including the bishop of Rome, to support a vote for a proven supporter of abortion.

The leadership of the Republican Party is in need of change, they are not preaching a consistent message. Is abortion wrong, or not? Its okay in rape and incest cases and in cases of the life of the mother, what? So murder is okay sometimes? It is just as stupid to say slavery is evil, except in Louisiana. (State of Louisiana was chosen at random because it is where I am.)

Another one, some abortion is bad, but the death penalty in this country is okay? No they are not equal in importance as far as intrinsic evil titles are concerned; but no one here in the USA can provide a situation where the DP is needed. We have the means to protect the sanctity of life, no matter how hideous we find that life. This is what God is asking us to do, protect the least of those among us.

What about immigration, what is the republican stance on immigration??? If I’m not mistaken every republican and democrat can trace his/her families back in the not so distant past to see they are descendants of immigrants them selves, what hypocrisy!

What about, I don’t know, you name it and you will see mixed messages. The Republican Party has no courage to say what they believe because they are afraid of the media, or they don’t know themselves, or a combination of the two. Thus you see groups like the Tea Party grow, and the Republican Party shrink.

This country is starving for a leader to step up and give good wholesome reasons to follow. With the entire Obama campaign being negative, it is obvious we have a vacuum where good leaders are concerned.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="sedonaman, post:5, topic:304547"]
God sent his own chosen people into exile in Babylon for their disobedience. It has become abundantly clear to the most casual observer that the majority of voters like big secular government that gives them "freebies" [some of them immoral] paid for by other people. What message could possibly compete with that? The conservative message of rising on your own initiative is falling on deaf ears. Therefore, the Republican Party is through because it couldn't defeat even the über liberals, and firing its leadership will not solve the problem because there is no message that can compete with the promise of a "free" lunch.

Perhaps its best course of action is for the long run by letting the Democrats have their way; and when society is finally in "exile" long enough, maybe then the voters will listen.

[/quote]

I think you have it pegged. All we Catholics can do, is stick together as God fearing people and when the world is ready to hear the message, we will be ready. But first we have to decide to follow the Church and not either party.

If this happens we will shrink in the short run. But I for one am ready to stand alone; if we stand with truth we will be persecuted.

[quote="Lapey, post:3, topic:304547"]

[/quote]

The Democrats would love for it to happen. It would be the biggest victory of this election season.

This gives the President more leverage in upcoming negotiations. McConnell is up for reelection in 2014 and Boehner is on the two-year treadmill. The President will never run again.

A number of analysts I have read or heard believe that the GOP will have to stand up to its more radical elements and look to be working for the people if they want to make gains in 2014 and be competitive in 2016.

[quote="oldcelt, post:9, topic:304547"]
This gives the President more leverage in upcoming negotiations. McConnell is up for reelection in 2014 and Boehner is on the two-year treadmill. The President will never run again.

A number of analysts I have read or heard believe that the GOP will have to stand up to its more radical elements and look to be working for the people if they want to make gains in 2014 and be competitive in 2016.

[/quote]

If the republican leadership in the house and senate give in to liberal views of policy the republicans will lose majority in the house, and widen their minority in the senate.

Why do you think the majorities in the 90's and in Bush's terms wane, it was because the republicans spent too much and appeared too much like democrats. For the most part, there isn't much difference in the two parties.

[quote="Lapey, post:3, topic:304547"]

[/quote]

But it would only be a start.

[/quote]

Where the bleep were these leaders during Republican Primary? Perhaps these people should learn a lesson in civics. The delegates decide who the best candidate should be on the ticket and they need to understand that.

It isn’t if you win or lose; it’s how you lay the blame.

[quote="Dale_M, post:8, topic:304547"]
The Democrats would love for it to happen. It would be the biggest victory of this election season.

[/quote]

You know, this is where we all get it wrong, both sides. We look for victory instead of following Truth. If we stick to the Gospel message, all of it, we may shrink for a while, however, the Spirit of God will be with us and He will gain victory for us over evil.

Personally I do not care about standing up for what will win us an election, whether you rep or dem, I care for standing up for what is real and true. One thing I have seen in ministry is if you truly believe what you preach, people will listen. If you truly believe what you preach and it is truth in Jesus Christ, people will listen and follow; even if they didn't believe in what you preach, they will come to that belief and follow. Why is that you may ask, because Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life; not liberal or conservative, republican or democrat.

[quote="Lapey, post:10, topic:304547"]
If the republican leadership in the house and senate give in to liberal views of policy the republicans will lose majority in the house, and widen their minority in the senate.

Why do you think the majorities in the 90's and in Bush's terms wane, it was because the republicans spent too much and appeared too much like democrats. For the most part, there isn't much difference in the two parties.

[/quote]

If nothing is done to address the fiscal cliff, the consequences will be severe. At this moment, President Obama holds most of the good cards, and this development only helps him. The Tea Party remains a relatively small component of the GOP majority, but they hold a disproportionate amount of power. Boehner, in particular, will have to stand up to them or risk a major backlash.

John

[quote="oldcelt, post:15, topic:304547"]
If nothing is done to address the fiscal cliff, the consequences will be severe. At this moment, President Obama holds most of the good cards, and this development only helps him. The Tea Party remains a relatively small component of the GOP majority, but they hold a disproportionate amount of power. Boehner, in particular, will have to stand up to them or risk a major backlash.

John

[/quote]

If they stick up for principle in truth, they will do what is right, even though they lose leadership. Raising taxes, even just on the wealthy, is not the answer and they know that. If the president gives in to the class warfare extreme left, then why should the tea party conservatives give in?

I do not see any higher level of civility coming out of Washington, there is no reason for either side to give in.

[quote="Lapey, post:16, topic:304547"]
If they stick up for principle in truth, they will do what is right, even though they lose leadership. Raising taxes, even just on the wealthy, is not the answer and they know that. If the president gives in to the class warfare extreme left, then why should the tea party conservatives give in?

I do not see any higher level of civility coming out of Washington, there is no reason for either side to give in.

[/quote]

Well said. I like how everyone ignores the big picture.

Sure, we can raise taxes on the wealthy but that is merely a drop in the ocean.

[quote="oldcelt, post:15, topic:304547"]

John

[/quote]

So, what do you suggest?

[quote="Lapey, post:4, topic:304547"]

[/quote]

Thank, you!

I don't see how splitting the Republican party will improve things. A far-right wing will not attract the moderates. Nor will watering down the Republican party to attract the moderates help any - the stalemate will then be within the party rather than between two parties.

I'd like to see a party that I can actually fit into. One that appeals to working class, rather than the rich; one with my values about entitlements, abortion, gay rights, and gun control. Sadly, there isn't one.

[quote="Richard320, post:19, topic:304547"]
Thank, you!

I don't see how splitting the Republican party will improve things. A far-right wing will not attract the moderates. Nor will watering down the Republican party to attract the moderates help any - the stalemate will then be within the party rather than between two parties.

I'd like to see a party that I can actually fit into. One that appeals to working class, rather than the rich; one with my values about entitlements, abortion, gay rights, and gun control. Sadly, there isn't one.

[/quote]

Third party?

If enough people voted third party, I think you would see sanity from government.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.