Conservatve Catholic Bible

Is there a Bible with Catholic theology and conservative commentary? Many of the Catholic bibles are always very liberal and higher criticism in the footnotes.

grant_mohler. Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums.

Here are 2 suggestions (below). (There are other good suggestions too. I only recommended these two)

[LIST]
*]A complete Bible (less commentary and more of a “catechetical commentary”).
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]A New Testament (much MORE commentary. Very complete for New Testament insights for an inexpensive tome).
[/LIST]

Hope this helps you in your quest.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Complete Bible . . .

New Catholic Answer Bible: New American Bible Revised Edition

(NABRE) Paperback – March 25, 2011

by Paul Thigpen (Author, Editor), Dave Armstrong (Author)

amazon.com/New-Catholic-Answer-Bible-American/dp/1592761860/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461537557&sr=1-23&keywords=catholic+bible

New Testament . . . .

Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
Paperback – June 1, 2010

by Curtis Mitch (Compiler), Scott Hahn (Editor)

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506/ref=sr_1_25?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1461539044&sr=1-25&keywords=catholic+bible

Haydock Bible

Either version of the Didache Bible (NABRE or Ignatius edition). I’d echo the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible if you just want the NT.

What is the Didache Bible like? Does it actually treat the Bible as inerrant? It looks pretty interesting. I am an agnostic but I do like to get the other side of scholarship too! :slight_smile:

If you want a good old-fashioned version, the Douay - Rheims Challoner is the gold standard and has very orthodox notes, written by an 18th century Bishop. :slight_smile:

If you prefer more modern English, try the Confraternity Bible (out of print, but you can find second-hand copies online) or the Revised Standard Version published by Ignatius Press (the “Ignatius Study Bible”). The latter is especially good for in-depth study.

When you’'re talking about a Bible I love my “The One Year Bible - Catholic Edition” – it includes the entire New Living Translation with deuterocanonical books arranged in 365 daily readings. I read the day of the year before I turn out the light at night.

A valid question. There is no Catholic Bible in English more orthodox and true to Catholic teachings than the Haydock Bible, with copious notes drawn from the Fathers of the Church, and other sources of equal orthodoxy.

My favorite Haydock bible is the last one printed under the supervision of Canon Oakeley, which first appeared in 1878 and continued to be printed until 1910 and perhaps later. It is an English Printing, although Collier out of New York also printed this Bible. This version of the Haydock Bible’s notes was updated with the latest Biblical research and other discoveries that came to light since the first Haydock Bible appeared in 1814.

The Bible text itself is an updated version of Bishop Challoner’s revision of the Douay/Rheims which itself (Challoner’s revision) is based on the Clementine Vulgate translated and edited by St. Jerome.

Footnotes and commentary are not the Bible. They are things added to the Bible by men.

The Bible is neither conservative nor liberal. The Sacred Texts are universal.

Get yourself a Reader’s Bible, something without footnotes and commentary and you won’t have a problem.

-Tim-

For modern catholic bibles, the footnotes and commentary in the Navarre Bible are faithful to the doctrinal and authoritative teaching of the Catholic Church. The Navarre Bible uses the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition for the text of the Bible with the latin text of the New Vulgate which is the official Bible of the Catholic Church at the bottom of the pages.

This may not be a helpful suggestion, but A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture is very good.

The problem is that the book is from 1953, and usually runs about a hundred bucks online. It’s also not a Bible, but merely a one-volume commentary based on the Douay-Rheims.

But if you really want a great taste of conservative Biblical scholarship, I’d at least look into this work.

Seriously though.
I use the ESV-Anglicised, NRSV-CE Anglicized, and Douai-Rheims. I frequently refer to the KJV and RSV-CE for academic reasons. These are all good translations, and don’t use inclusive language to refer to God.

The footnotes/commentary are mostly taken from the Catechism.

Not meaning to minimize the well thought of responses. They are the same responses I always read when the question of what bible should I use pops up. They however do not mention is the Navarre bibles with commentary. That being said my solution was to buy all of them.
2 versions of the Oxford Study Bible
Set of Navarre Old and New Testament.
Didache Bible RSV version
Ignatius Study bible new testament RSV
Jerusalem bible and the New Jerusalem bible
Catholic Comparative New Testament 8 translations!!
Catholic Youth Bible NAB
GNT Catholic Edition
Knox Version
Christian Community Bible 2 editions the commentray if fun sometimes.
Ignatius RSV Second Catholic edition
Douhy Rheems St Benedict Press
Catholic Scripture Study Bible RSV
CTS Catholic Bible Print to small
The Jewish Study Bible OT only
New American Bible USCCB Leather Cover NAB
There are about 5 more floating around.

The answer for me was all of them. Sometimes I will have 3 or four of them open at the same time. However I found by favorite bibles have a flex leather like cover that lays flat. If you can’t get comfortable reading the bible and are fighting it or its pages its an uphill battle. That being said my favorites are the USCCB bible, lays nice and flat, red table, Christ’s words in red, very minimal notes, close to the lectionery, nice sized font only one ribbon. Ignatius RSV second edition, Minimal notes, lays flat, 2 ribbons. Catholic Study Bible lays flat, lots of extra stuff on Church dogma, nice font size. I would like to read the Didache but the font irritates my eyes. There is catechism notes on every page! Also, does not lay flat like the other ones. There is a leather version I have not seen.

LOL That is impressive!!! :):thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.