Consider this scenario

I have done some things that were wrong at work.
My manager might become aware. I am afraid that they will need to report it to the licensing organisation which could jeopardize my career.
On the other hand though, there is a chance that my manager wont report such things (even though they are obliged to). If they don’t make the report, would it be morally wrong for me to accept this as an advantage?

It would be morally wrong to purposefully do things that are “wrong at work”, regardless of whether your supervisor reports you.

I am resolving to change.

Yikes.

Can’t tell if you are saying this scenario is real or just a thought exercise.

Anyway, no, it would not be all right to hide this information. If something has been done wrong that would jeopardize one’s professional license, it should be assumed those actions are serious, possibly even dangerous to others.

It would not be morally acceptable for someone in this position to take the situation as a welcome “out” for being responsible for their actions.

Gertie

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean. I have done a few wrong things. I am resolving to change. My manager might not report me. What do I do from then on…?

Resolving to change is always a good thing.

However, and again, if the actions are serious enough that one’s license and career are in danger, then those actions likely have had (or will have) serious consequences to others.

For example, as a teacher, actions that could threaten my license (and career) would almost certainly mean I had done something that could harm children and/or families. That’s serious, and could even be criminal!

Seriously, if one’s career is in danger from things that have been done, the ethical thing to do would be to take a break from that work and get whatever help is needed to sort things out. Licenses are issued by the state for a reason – and people who go to licensed practitioners for some sort of service should know that the practitioner isn’t trying to hide things, even if they have “resolved to change.”

Honestly, as someone who’s used the services of many licensed professionals – from hair stylists and massage therapists to financial planners and building contractors – I would never hire someone who’s done (or not done) something to lose one’s license (even if he/she got away with it). If someone’s done it in the past and tried to hide it, there’s no reason I should believe they’re trustworthy when they say they’ve resolved to change.

Gertie

I will clarify my situation a little bit more. I am training to receive my qualifications. My manager is my trainer who will work with me to make those improvements. The wrongs I have done are not criminal nor very serious.

Then what are you worried about? This does not sound like a moral issue.

The moral issue is the following: my manager might still be obliged to notify the licencing body of my wrong doings. She probably won’'t fulfill this obligation though.
it will be much easier for me that she didn’t of course. Would it be sinful for me to continue working as normal considering my manager should have notified against me.

What your manager does or does not do is not a moral issue for you. No, it is not immoral for you to continue working/training. What would it accomplish for you to quit working? Resolve not to repeat whatever misdeeds you did. If you struggle with scrupulosity, talk to your pastor or a counselor about it.

If the things you did were on accident and could not have repercussions that put other people in danger, cause them to lose their jobs or could impact someone else negatively, I think it would be ok to keep working no matter what your manager does as long as you resolve to try harder next time. If it could impact someone else or was done on purpose I think it would be your responsibility to talk to your manager and admit what you did. From there it would be up to them whether it was reported or not.

Go to Confession and talk to the priest about it. IF your manager doesn’t ‘report’ you, be thankful. go on with your life and do not make the same mistakes in the future. God Bless, Memaw

You are not obligated to turn yourself in, even if your manager is.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.