Considering Catholicism...but I have questions

and Jen cranks one into the bleachers and the crowd goes wild!! :smiley:

Very nicely done.

ditto, thanks jen.
:thumbsup: :getholy: :knight2:

Good luck Angela. :slight_smile:

God bless,
Ut

Wow, everyone is so kind. I thought it might be too long and nobody would want to read it. :blush:

All I can say is that I’ve been there. And I’ve been blessed.

Thanks!

–Jen

Hello again-

Last night I felt really pulled to continue on this path…So today I went down to my neighborhood parish, and was immediately and warmly welcomed. I got all the information about RCIA classes, and am planning to start at the beginning of January. I really and truly did feel God with me as I walked into the church today.

I feel overwhelmed with how much I have to learn and what a huge shift this is in my life, but I am so grateful. And want to say thanks for your advice, all of you.

Angela

sure there is a lot to learn, but don’t get too overwhelmed. you have your whole life to learn about the faith, to grow with it. as a cradle catholic, i still have tons to learn too. i may have grown up with the catholic church and can absent-mindly :o make my way thru mass at times, but you and your fellow converts, you are making a deliberate decision to persue the catholic church. many of my fellow cradle catholics and i have finally seen the light of the master piece that we were born into, thanks be to God, and that same wonderful God is now calling you too. i hope and pray that your journey brings you in to full communion with Jesus’ Church.

May I suggest you listen to the .mp3 audio talk by Dr. Charles E. Rice from the following link?

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/Natural_Law-1.mp3

Dr. Rice is a reknowned professor of law. He talks about the natural law, and towards the end, talks about contraception, etc. You may find what he has to say enlightening. God bless! :slight_smile:

You have been in the grip of pride which is the assumption that you know better than the Church. Indeed this sin of Pride is the rock on which all Protestant heresy is built.

Angela you must remember that the Roman Catholic Church is not a sect designed to fit round the views of its members but is rather the Church of Christ. The fount of doctrinal authority.

I fully accept your honesty and integrity but you will find with real honest prayer and a bit of humility you will begin to see the real reasons why the Church teaches as it does.

I hope you come home to the Church Angela. It is the Rock Christ Himself founded. It is our protection agains the snares of Pride and hubris. The teachings of the Holy Church are the teachings of Our Lord Himself through His vicar.

Good luck Angela.

Angela,

I think you were led here, as was I (currently in RCIA). Search for the truth and pray to be guided by the Holy Spirit with an open heart and open mind.

There are many good posts in this thread, particularly Jen’s (revert_jen). I too approached my quest with some pre-established “positions”. I have since been amazed at how often I changed those and even my world view. There is no hard-sell and the welcome you have felt is sincerely genuine.

I have found reading the Catechism very worthwhile. There are a lot of great web resources including this website - Catholic Answers and its forums, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops (usccb.org/), About Catholics (aboutcatholics.com/), Fr. Hardon Archives (therealpresence.org/archives/archives.htm) and probably many more I haven’t discovered.

It is also helpful to read the stories of other converts (sometimes that word bothers Christians as they continue their journey - don’t let it be an issue!). There are a number of good books but one online blog I recommend is that of Jennifer Fulwiler (conversiondiary.com/). She is one of many smart, intellectual people who started out as atheists and ended up Catholic. Go figure (really!).

May God bless you on your journey.

George

Angela it has been pointed out to me by another forumer that perhaps my comment here above could be seen as insulting you and accusing you of Prideful sin. Perhaps that reading could be put on it and I would regret that very much. I hope you see no bad intent in my comments.

I was pointing out the necessity for you and indeed us all to be humble. I was not accusing you personally of Pride. I was saying that the ecclesial community you belong to was of necessity born of Pride in that it is not accepting authority. I emphatically did not mean or intend to hurt or insult you in any way and if that message was picked up by another perhaps it could be picked up by you and that is why I am posting this.

I wish you the very best in your journey and I hope my ham fisted and possibly overly robust response is seen by you as what it was intended to be which is honest advice and comment from a brother. It worries me that I might be seen to have been offensive when that was he very last thing on my mind.

Angela,

Congrats on taking a big step towards entering full communion with the Catholic Church! It really IS a huge shift and it will be difficult at times, but don’t lose heart!

that’s wonderful, Angela! :slight_smile: God bless you!

Thanks for the apology, aboveallbereal. I did feel a bit taken aback by your post, so I appreciate your response.

I had another long conversation yesterday with the religious ed director, and felt so welcomed and warmed by her. I still have positions and feelings that I know are not “catholic,” but I also feel open to seeing where I am led.

It’s amazing to feel your life take such a shift, such a different direction than the one you expected.

A

Hello Angela, welcome to CAF :wave:. There are many converts and reverts (reverted back to Catholicism after some time away) on these forums. Catholicism has so much depth that we are all babies in the faith really! One major aspect that lead me to the Catholic church was truth, and before I believed I couldn’t pretend that I did. I admire your honesty and your desire to be truthful with yourself and us, it is the only way forward for all of us in our relationship with God. Just put one foot in front of the other, take each day as it comes and listen to where Jesus is leading. For me the church always had a mystical beauty that drew me to her.

I look forward to hearing all about your exploration, may God continue to bless you as you begin RCIA in the next few weeks :slight_smile: . Please come back and tell us how everything is going.

The Church allows couples to make these decisions, but it is important to understand that artificial birth control is intrinsically evil. Therefore, you should investigate modern methods of Natural Family Planning such as the Billings Method.

Just wanted to throw out a note of encouragement to you, Angela. My wife and I have been practicing NFP for a year now, with great strides of improvement in our marriage. We are currently in RCIA and will be received into the Church at Easter, God willing. It is possible, rewarding and fulfilling to be open to life yet fiscally responsible at the same time. We have felt nothing but freedom since we stopped using contracepives. I was like you not long ago, with liberal on issues of contraception and abortion, but I was drawn to the Church. Yet I knew that I could not in good faith represent myself as accepting the Church while disagreeing on these issues, which I knew the Church held as matters of utmost importance. I prayed for a conversion of my own heart, and God did that. Imagine that! I know that God changed me, and at the same time he sparked an interest in the Catholic Church in my wife, and she led the charge to Rome. I will say a prayer for you. Peace in Christ,

SonofMonica

For those with questions about sex, contraception, etc. I suggest reading Christopher West “Good News About Sex & Marriage” or if you want an even more in-depth understanding John Paul II’s Theology of the Body.

Once a Catholic has read and understood the Church’s teaching, they will forever be changed for the better :slight_smile:

My first answer is to trust in Jesus Christ completely:

drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb&bk=47&ch=6&l=26&f=s#x

24 No man can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one, and love the other: or he will sustain the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 25 Therefore I say to you, be not solicitous for your life, what you shall eat, nor for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than the meat: and the body more than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the air, for they neither sow, nor do they reap, nor gather into barns: and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not you of much more value than they?

Trust that what childeren the Lord gives you, he will also give you the means and the grace to care for them faithfully if you apply your self completely to his will. It might mean you can afford less for your self, you might need to buy used cars instead of new ones, maybe not get that second HDTV, maybe not buy 5 new blurays a month (that one is directed at me lol), you will have the means to take care of these childeren if you empty your self of your own desires, and give your self over to the care of the Lord.

I think this last bit more directly gets at the core issue than your first point does. Consider this, how many truths of God do you think there are? Do you beleive for instance, that for Catholics it’s wrong to use ABC (artificial birth control), but if you’re Protestant it some how becomes OK? If you do, then consider the possiblity (reality?) that you’ve fallen into the error of pluralism. The idea that God will treat us each differently based upon whatever belief system we choose to accept.

I submit to you that we do not get to pick and choose what is sinful and what is not. I submit that the above is simply a “soft” form of peganism, and in fact this is so true that not too long ago I had an agnostic (a sole which truely lacks any understanding of god) say to me “well maybe the Pentecostal’s God thinks that …xyz… is proper”… There is no Pentecostal’s God, v. Catholic God v. Episcopole God v. Baptist God…

There is only God, God has only one moral law. One Church has the fullness of the truth of God as expressed by him to humanity (note, this doesn’t mean a complete knowlege, just all of it which has been expressed to us) and many other faiths are in various states of error and omission. I would certainly submit that the Catholic Church, being the Church started by Christ is that Church.

I hope this doesn’t come off as confrontational or something like that, it wasn’t my intent. I most certainly also hope that what I’ve posted is of some help. God bless, and good luck on your journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.