Considering converting, but not quite sure

Hi Everyone!

I just want to ask you all to pray for me that God will lead me to the truth. I’m currently not sure whether to stay Protestant, convert to the Catholic Church, or otherwise.

Note: If you know me from a previous thread and wish to reply, please read my post here, first:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11527177#post11527177

Thanks, everyone! I hope you all had a merry Christmas! :slight_smile:

I will pray for your conversion, i.e., may the fullness of truth penetrate your heart, Holy Spirit, come to his aid.

Conversion to Catholics is a good and wise idea. Ten reasons why Catholic is the one and only true Church of Jesus Christ:

1. The Bible is a Catholic book. It was Pope Damasus’ Council of Rome in 382 AD which drew up the official list of the books of the Bible. If not for this Council, we wouldn’t know if what we are reading is the true Word of God or a false text. All Christians today trust the authority of the Catholic Church when they read the Bible.

2. The Bible refutes the “Bible alone” principle. Bible says that the “Word of the Lord” is “spoken” (Jer 25:3), not just written. St. Paul urged us to “hold to traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter” (2 Thes 2:15). The Bible also tells of a Council’s authority, where Peter settled a doctrinal dispute and declared what “we believe”

The Bible teaches that not the Bible or the Protestant interpreters of the 16th century and of the present, but “the Church is the pillar and the bulwark of the truth” (1 Tim 3:15). It also warns against “twisted” interpretations of Scriptures (2 Pt 3:16). While the Church has one teaching, there are now 43,000 evangelical groups with 2.3 added daily. Their views on the Trinity, on gays, etc. contradict each other. Since truth (e.g. Jesus is God) cannot be falsehood at the same time, real falsehoods are sadly being taught among these groups.
3. Jesus built his Church on a man he named Rock. Jesus said “On this rock, I will build my Church and I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven” (Mt 16:18-19). Jesus changed the name of Simon to Petros, Greek for Rock. He gave Petros or Peter, “the keys of the kingdom”, which the Jews knew to be the power of a prime minister of the King and chief teacher (Is 22:21). Jesus told him alone to “feed my sheep” (Jn 21:15-17). The Bible shows him leading the Church.
The early Christians referred to Peter’s Roman Church as “presiding”, “of superior origin” and standard of “true Faith”, “Chair of Peter”, “the principal” (Cyprian, 2nd-3rd c.), and “the primacy”. While the Catholic Church can give evidence of its unbroken link to Jesus and Peter, other Christian groups began their existence with their founders like Luther (1517), J. Smith (1830), and F.
4. Jesus and the Church are one. It is not true the Catholic Church left the true Faith, since Jesus promised that “I am with you always to the close of the age” (Mt 28:20), evil “shall not prevail” against his Church, and his Spirit “will guide you into all the truth” (Jn 16:13). He made the Church his body and said: “He who hears you hears me” (Lk 10:16). He told Saul who persecuted the Church “why do you persecute me”
5. The Bible says we are saved “not by faith alone”. The Bible used Luther’s phrase “by faith alone” only once: “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” (Jas 2:24). The Bible also says that “what counts is faith working through love” (Gal 5:6). While Catholics and Protestants agree that Jesus alone saves us, Luther in the 16th century inserted without basis the word “alone” in his German translation of Rom 3:28 (“a man is justified by faith”) in order to support his personal interpretation that a Christian is incapable of cooperating with God in his salvation.
6. The Bible and the early Christians believe in purgatory. As shown in their tombstones, the early Christians followed the Bible: “Pray for the dead that they may be loosed from sins”. for “nothing unclean can enter heaven” (Rev 21:27). It does not make sense to pray for the dead if they only go, as evangelicals say, either to heaven (with faith in Christ) or to hell (without faith). The Bible also spoke about forgiveness in the age to come and those judged by God are “saved but as through fire”.
7. The Bible and the early Christians believe in the Catholic sacraments. St. Peter infallibly taught in the Bible that “Baptism now saves you” and thus is not a mere inciter of faith. Jesus gave the Apostles the power to “forgive sins” in Confession. St. James spoke about “anointing with oil” for the sick. Jesus repeatedly said that “he who eats my flesh has eternal life”. This is no mere symbol or figure of speech, because he did not give in when “many of his disciples” left him due to this “hard saying”, and St. Paul taught that he who eats the bread unworthily is “guilty of profaning the Lord’s body”. Ignatius of Antioch said “the Eucharist is the flesh of the Redeemer,” Irenaeus “we receive the bread as our Redeemer, Jesus”, and Cyprian “Christ is our bread”.
8. The Catholic Church is salt and light. Modern secular historians of science, economics, university education, human rights, international law, hospitals and Western art are showing that Catholic priests, scientists and thinkers were behind the foundation and great achievements in these areas (Thomas Woods, How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization). Christ continues to work his miracles through his Church: Eucharistic bread turning into blood, appearances of Mary in many places, saints with stigmata and whose bodies are incorruptible, cures and images of Christ and Mary that are scientifically unexplained.
9. The Catholic Church is catholic. Jesus “desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim 2:4), thus his real Church is universal, evangelizing in all parts of the world with more than 1.2B members today.
10. Jesus and the Bible glorify his mother. Catholics do not worship Mary, but follow Jesus’ ways. He obeyed the fourth commandment: Honor your father and mother. Honor in Hebrew is kaboda, which means to glorify. The Bible calls Mary “Mother of my Lord” (Lord = God) and says all generations will call her blessed. It shows that she is the New Ark of the Covenant, the woman clothed with the sun, crowned in heaven with twelve stars. To honor his mother, Jesus’ last message to us on the cross is: Behold, your mother.

=icamhif;11535576]Hi Everyone!

I just want to ask you all to pray for me that God will lead me to the truth. I’m currently not sure whether to stay Protestant, convert to the Catholic Church, or otherwise.

Note: If you know me from a previous thread and wish to reply, please read my post here, first:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11527177#post11527177

Thanks, everyone! I hope you all had a merry Christmas! :slight_smile:

I did read you’re other post. THANK YOU.

Starting at the beginning one must first KNOW and accept:
That is there is Only One True God [Triune]

That “One God” Logically, morally and theologically can and DOES have only One set of Faith beliefs.

And that God for reasons only God fully understands HAS with complete consistency had ONLY one "chosen people in the OT and One “church” in the NT.

Then ADD to this these three other facts:

[1] God; again with complete consistency has Chosen Only One man to lead His people & church]

Abram, Moses, The Judges, the Kings like David, The Prophets leading to John the Baptist, and then Jesus Himself, who choose Peter [Mt.16:18-19] as a DIVINELY inspired choice: Mt. 16:16-17 “] Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven”

This Critical point is often over looked.

[2] God, “Good and PERFECT” could not and DID NOT wait more than 1,000 years for King Henry, Luther, Calivn, Wycliff, or Smoth to introduce His truths. WHERE WERE THEY WHEN THE BIBLE WAS AUTHORED AND CODIFIED?]

[3] The Great Eastern Schism HAD and HAS them LEAVING the RCC, not the other way around.

For anyone truly open to God’s truth [always singular], it’s just not that difficult to prove that today’s CC is the One and ONLY One Founded, guided, guarded and warrantied bu Jesus Himself:

READ very carefully: Mt. 10: 1-8; Mt. 16:15-19; JOHN 17:14-20; Eph. 4:4-8; Mk.16:14-15 & Mt. 28:16-20. The evidence is there if God grants one the Wisdom and Understanding to accept HIS FAITH.:thumbsup: Amen

God Bless you,
Patrick [PJM]

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.:angel1:

Praying!!

Good for you! The Lord shows us his church if we seek him, and it seems that you have been seeking. Awesome! If you attend RCIA, you can be there as long as you want to learn without any obligation. They usually meet a few hours per week. I was a Protestant and it took me three years to join the church, and they were always patient with my hard questions. I’ll be praying for you! It’s truly a great and growing joy to have found His church.

I was a Jehovah’s witness before I became catholic. From my experience, I can tell you that becoming catholic and being a part of the One True Holy Church is the greatest thing that ever happened to me. If you know about the Jehovah’s witnesses, you will probably know how anit-catholic they are, and yet, I still became catholic even though I was against this true religion for years. Pray a lot and may the Holy Spirit guide you. God be with you.

First of all a Happy Xmas to you.

Having the Bible but rejecting the religion that produced it is like taking the writings of the Dalai Lama and following his writings but rejecting him and the Tibetan Buddhism. If the writings are a reflection of the religion but you reject the religion from which they came, you are left only with a reflection.

I am a Convert myself, so I wish you God’s Blessing on your search and coming to the Truth of the One, Holy, Catholic Church.

Great news! Do you have a copy of Catholicism for Dummies? It is a great resource that you will be able to rely on for years to come. Highly recommended.

You said you wanted truth. I prayed for the same thing 13 years ago and it led me to the Catholic Church. I converted from the Church of Christ. I always felt like the Church of Christ was missing something but didn’t understand what. I was searching for something to complete me, so I prayed for God to lead me to the truth no matter where it led me. I ended up Catholic. :slight_smile: God bless you on your journey! If you are really open to the truth, you will find it.

Here is a start; from Catholic Answers:

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Join the RCIA classes and find out. There are no obligations. Just attend to find answers.
Call a local parish office and find out when the next one starts.

It is good ethics to cite your sources

Reason: Ten Reasons the Catholic Church is the One True Church of Jesus

In my prayers…

Thanks, everyone!

I would also like other Christians (such as Eastern Orthodox and Protestants) to pray for me, too. I’m still not exactly sure what that “truth” is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.