Considering the state of the world

Are we in endtimes? Is the return of the Lord likely to happen soon?

Why or why not?

This is more of an Apologetics question, but most partial preterists, like myself, would agree that we have been in the “end times” since the Pentecost. While things looked pretty bleak, think about the 1st century Christians. What we are experiencing is nothing compared to being barbequed, chewed on by lions, impaled, decapitated, impaled, skewered, and insulted. Being called names for our faith is trivial compared. even Jesus said He doesn’t know the day or hour of his return, only the Father does. I won’t even a fathom a guess as to if he is coming back soon.

Scott,

I think it belongs here because it is not about explaining the faith. I am merely asking people to consider the state of the world today (news), and then apply that to the return of the Lord.

I agree our Christian lives are not remotely comparable to the 1st century Christians…yet they were the start-up crew and there has to be a final crew as well. Scripture and the Church tells us that we will see a lot of what is going on as the endtimes and the tribulations begin…

[quote=TPJCatholic]Are we in endtimes? Is the return of the Lord likely to happen soon?

Why or why not?
[/quote]

For some yes…for some…it will be awhile. At my age I am sure it’s sooner than later. :slight_smile:

Marie,

Is the return of the Lord going to happen soon in your opinion?

[quote=TPJCatholic]Marie,

Is the return of the Lord going to happen soon in your opinion?
[/quote]

I already told you as much as I know…For me…sooner than others. The rest is still a mystery so I don’t sweat it. Everyone will eventually have a return of the Lord happening in their life. Could be in a second or a thouusand years for all I know. I do know I won’t make it another 1000 years though. :slight_smile:

Marie,

Respectfully, you are dodging the real question I am asking. It is quite true that when we pass this world, we must all meet the Lord in judgment…yet that is not the same as the Lord’s return, or second coming, or final judgment, or last day, or judgment day, etc…

While we can never know the hour or day, we can read the signs and have a general idea of when the Lord might return. My question is: do you think the Lord will return to earth for the final judgment anytime soon? Why yes or why no?

Respectfully, you are dodging the real question I am asking. It is quite true that when we pass this world, we must all meet the Lord in judgment…yet that is not the same as the Lord’s return, or second coming, or final judgment, or last day, or judgment day, etc…

While we can never know the hour or day, we can read the signs and have a general idea of when the Lord might return. My question is: do you think the Lord will return to earth for the final judgment anytime soon? Why yes or why no?
[/quote]

As a buttinsky, I can say categorically that we cannot “read the signs and have a general idea of when the Lord might return.” People have been doing that since Christ died and they’ve all been wrong every time.

Leave that business to the Fundamentalists.

richardols,

I disagree…nut thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

[quote=Richardols]As a buttinsky, I can say categorically that we cannot “read the signs and have a general idea of when the Lord might return.” People have been doing that since Christ died and they’ve all been wrong every time.

Leave that business to the Fundamentalists.
[/quote]

And the Seventh Day Adventist and the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Scott,

and…Catholics.

[quote=TPJCatholic]Scott,

and…Catholics.
[/quote]

I am unaware of it being a usual practice of faithful Catholics to prognosticate the second advent.

Scott,

It has been a constant Catholic theme since the early Church to contemplate when the Lord might return. There have been hundreds of private revelations regarding the same, most of which are not approaved, some are. Scripture and the Catechism handles this all in depth, yet being able to properly interpret the statements is the most difficult task. The tribulation, great apostasy, conversion of the Jews, the full number of gentiles coming into the Church, etc…those are all in Scripture and are all to do with the Lord’s return.

We watch, and we wait, but we don’t predict (or not with any seriousness, at least).

Mike

[quote=TPJCatholic]Are we in endtimes? Is the return of the Lord likely to happen soon?

Why or why not?
[/quote]

Only the Father knows the hour.

[/quote]

Watch it youngun…I am too old to dodge anything. Actually your in the wrong forum. :slight_smile:

If the Mod’s move it to the proper forum…then maybe you will get your answers to suit you. Meantime…be satisfied that I took the time to answer my way and my thoughts. :slight_smile:

Lance,

Yes, only the Father knows the hour…yet we can see the signs of the times…

[quote=TPJCatholic]Scott,

It has been a constant Catholic theme since the early Church to contemplate when the Lord might return. There have been hundreds of private revelations regarding the same, most of which are not approaved, some are. Scripture and the Catechism handles this all in depth, yet being able to properly interpret the statements is the most difficult task. The tribulation, great apostasy, conversion of the Jews, the full number of gentiles coming into the Church, etc…those are all in Scripture and are all to do with the Lord’s return.
[/quote]

It is a moral obligation to contemplate it, and even prepare for it. What is off-limits is to try to guess when it is going to happen. As St. Peter exhorts us to , “be ready, for he will come like a thief in the night”.

I think I can safely predict that for most of us this world will end within the next 80 years, for me probably within 20 to 30 years. So as far as I am concerned, yes, we are in the endtimes.

Marie,

I am not young (we should not assume such things). :slight_smile:

Yet, thank you for your replies…I do disagree that this is in the wrong place because my question directly ties to the news of the day, which is why I chose this forum.
Thanks again for sharing. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.