Conspiracies

How do Catholics feel about conspiracies like "Dr. Dre is a Satanist" and stuff like that?

That's not a "conspiracy", that's slander. Or libel. Depending on whether or not it's spoken or printed :D

More seriously, If they had documented proof that "(well-known celebrity) is a (member of not-well-looked-upon-group)", I'd give it credence. But people can say pretty much anything and have someone believe it. Three words: "Sinbad is dead."

People will beleive whatever they want. It's sad, but true. I've tried to talk with people who believe that rubbish, but it never works. I save my breath and feel sorry for them.

It’s more how people interpret things they see people doing. Ex: on a Dr. Dre commercial for his line of Beats headphones, three 'b’s are shown side-by-side. The 'b’s are tilted and look like 6’s, so now people are saying that he’s secretly a satanist.

[quote="Tennis42, post:1, topic:242734"]
How do Catholics feel about conspiracies like "Dr. Dre is a Satanist" and stuff like that?

[/quote]

Exodus 23:2 Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:*

[quote="Tennis42, post:4, topic:242734"]
It's more how people interpret things they see people doing. Ex: on a Dr. Dre commercial for his line of Beats headphones, three 'b's are shown side-by-side. The 'b's are tilted and look like 6's, so now people are saying that he's secretly a satanist.

[/quote]

Yeah, but that's still just people taking things out of context, or better, seeing what they want to see. For instance, there was a Pokemon card that a few years ago caused a stir. It was a creature based on a Buddhist creature, and the image had a big ol' manji as part of the illustration. A manji is essentially a swastika. People in the US, not realizing that the manji is a normal part of Buddhist iconography, hit the roof and accused Nintendo of harboring neo-Nazi sympathies (I'm wondering how they escaped similar misunderstandings with The Legend of Zelda, when an entire dungeon complex was shaped like one :shrug: ).

Or the evergreen "Proctor and Gamble are a bunch of Satanists" canard, all because their logo is the man in the moon.

People who are interested in getting to the truth should just do their own research. I saw a bumper sticker on a car: "I'm a witch. Get over it." Yesterday, I saw another witch bumper sticker. I don't know how many practicing witches are out there but it does make you think.

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.