Constant nightmares and waking up in sheer terror - Demonic influence?

Hi everyone. My boyfriend, Darrell, has been having a lot of nightmares lately. They seem to happen almost every night. He wakes up in sheer terror with his chest hurting and he’s also been on the verge of a nervous breakdown for quite some time. Could this be a demonic influence causing this? If so, what can I do to help him? He is not a Catholic and has no intention of becoming Catholic.

It could be…is he christian at all?

I do know that when I am stressed, I have very vivid nightmares. I also have them very frequently during periods of great stress.

I really don’t have much to offer, but he should at least try some meditating or relaxation strategies before bed. The only way I managed to make my nightmares (mostly!) go away is to imagine lying in Jesus’ arms as I fall asleep. That led me to be thinking of him, and even praying as I fell asleep. I haven’t had demonic nightmares in a (comparatively) long time, and I sleep better. Plus it’s really helped my moods and stress levels.

But again, it’s really hard to give this advice to him if he is not christian.

Even if he is not Catholic, simply bringing him to mass will help him significantly. He’s in a stage of transition towards becoming more useful to God most likely, the evil one will kick and scream against him all the way, even including invading him in his dreams, and in my opinion, is truly a low blow. You can also support him if he’s attending a protestant service instead, and see if there is anything within there he can be more involved in with it. Above all, pray together, especially at night before you two go to sleep, and absolutely, the more you can also read scripture together, the better, for a person that has scripture saturating their being, tends to put a really bad taste in what ever’s mouth is trying to attack them.

I know if I have chocolate ice cream with hot fudge shortly before bedtime I get the most terrifying nightmares & yes its all about demons. That probably happens to me because it is so sinfully delicious. :wink:

Hi everyone. Darrell is not a Catholic. He is a liberal Christian but he is not baptized. Thank you all for your advice.

Get him baptized, then come back and tell us if his dreams are still with him.

That’s easier said than done. He doesn’t want to become Catholic and he feels like he’s not yet ready to become baptized.

Hi Holly,

I recommend getting your boyfriend a Miraculous Medal. Ask him to wear it and pray for him. The devotion is known for converting the hearts of those who wear the medal. You don’t even have to tell the person your reasons for having them wear it.

Concerning the nightmares…

I also recommend getting a copy of Father Amorth’s book An Exorcist tells His Story. It’s a very helpful and well written book.

You may want to contact a priest from The Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter in your area.

fssp.org/en/index.htm

Also, you might try Saint Micheal’s Spiritual Warfare Apostolate for more information about such phenomena:

saint-mike.org/warfare/SWVisitorCtr.asp

saint-mike.org/warfare/library/swprayers/default.asp

saint-mike.org/warfare/library/index.php

And, you can try the Catholic Ohio Spiritual Warfare Center:

oswc.org/default.asp

Thanks Sonic. I’ll see about getting him a miraculous medal to wear. I don’t know if he’ll wear it though.

If he won’t wear it, then have it blessed and place it somewhere… either in his room or you can sew it into his clothing. The point is to have the medal near him as much as possible.

Wearing it is always the best thing, but that’s not always possible. The holy medal is known for being very effective. Also, prayers for the intercession of St. Benedict, Saint Joseph, and Saint Michael are very effective for protection against the enemy.

Cool thanks Sonic. :slight_smile:

Holly, most mainstream Protestant baptisms are just fine, as long as it’s done correctly. It’s not that hard of a thing at all and it’s not exclusive to Catholics in this area what so ever. :slight_smile:

A friend of mine thinks this thing about wearing the miraculous medal and it bringing about conversions sounds superstitious. How would you answer this person? :shrug::confused:

Hearing that he is a christian, but is not yet baptised really makes me think that demonic influence is a factor here. I think he is set to do amazing things for the Lord, and Satan and his minions are doing all they can to keep him away from the church, away from baptism, and ultimately away from a more intimate relationship with Christ so that he cannot fulfill what it is that God has in store for him.

What are his reasons for not wanting to get baptised yet? Is he waiting for something? Does he feel he needs to be “good enough?” or is he still in the decision making process?

Well, the way he put it to me was that he is not yet ready to take such a big step.

This would make a lot of sense. Someone who is not yet a chrisitan but is considering the conversion is a valuable target IMHO for evil. Have you read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis? The LAST thing Satan wants is another follower of Christ. I remember when I was on the cusp of conversion. It was the worst time of my life. Satan seemed unable to touch me directly through my dreams, but he was ripping my family apart. I watched my mom try to kill herself, her alcoholism and drug abuse spiraled out of control, and she was arrested several times for different offenses.My dad blamed me for it all and physically beat me from time to time. I have no doubt that it exploded the same summer I became a christian because Satan was getting at me. The thing about all of this is, when I finally did become a christian and was baptised, it just got worse.

Is he regularly attending a church right now? Or is he still looking around? Maybe there are some classes or something that could spark a dialogue to get him thinking to make a commitment. If he can hold tight to Christ, he will see him through!

Here’s the Catholic Encyclopedia article about the Miraculous Medal, Holly. The devotion has been around for a long time, but good for you for asking that question.

Source: newadvent.org/cathen/10115a.htm

The devotion commonly known as that of the Miraculous Medal owes its origin to Zoe Labore, a member of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, known in religion as Sister Catherine [Note: She was subsequently canonized], to whom the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared three separate times in the year 1830, at the mother-house of the community at Paris. The first of these apparitions occurred 18 July, the second 27 November, and the third a short time later. On the second occasion, Sister Catherine records that the Blessed Virgin appeared as if standing on a globe, and bearing a globe in her hands. As if from rings set with precious stones dazzling rays of light were emitted from her fingers. These, she said, were symbols of the graces which would be bestowed on all who asked for them. Sister Catherine adds that around the figure appeared an oval frame bearing in golden letters the words “O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee”; on the back appeared the letter M, surmounted by a cross, with a crossbar beneath it, and under all the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the former surrounded by a crown of thorns, and the latter pierced by a sword.

At the second and third of these visions a command was given to have a medal struck after the model revealed, and a promise of great graces was made to those who wear it when blessed. After careful investigation, M. Aladel, the spiritual director of Sister Catherine, obtained the approval of Mgr. de Quelen, Archbishop of Paris, and on 30 June, 1832, the first medals were struck and with their distribution the devotion spread rapidly. One of the most remarkable facts recorded in connection with the Miraculous Medal is the conversion of a Jew, Alphonse Ratisbonne of Strasburg, who had resisted the appeals of a friend to enter the Church. M. Ratisbonne consented, somewhat reluctantly, to wear the medal, and being in Rome, he entered, by chance, the church of Sant’ Andrea delle Fratte and beheld in a vision the Blessed Virgin exactly as she is represented on the medal; his conversion speedily followed. This fact has received ecclesiastical sanction, and is recorded in the office of the feast of the Miraculous Medal. In 1847, M. Etienne, superior-general of the Congregation of the Mission, obtained from Pope Pius IX the privilege of establishing in the schools of the Sisters of Charity a confraternity under the title of the Immaculate Conception, with all the indulgences attached to a similar society established for its students at Rome by the Society of Jesus. This confraternity adopted the Miraculous Medal as its badge, and the members, known as the Children of Mary, wear it attached to a blue ribbon. On 23 July, 1894, Pope Leo XIII, after a careful examination of all the facts by the Sacred Congregation of Rites, instituted a feast, with a special Office and Mass, of the Manifestation of the Immaculate Virgin under the title of the Miraculous Medal, to be celebrated yearly on 27 November by the Priests of the Congregation of the Mission, under the rite of a double of the second class. For ordinaries and religious communities who may ask the privilege of celebrating the festival, its rank is to be that of a double major feast. A further decree, dated 7 September, 1894, permits any priest to say the Mass proper to the feast in any chapel attached to a house of the Sisters of Charity.

Here’s information from EWTN:

ewtn.com/devotionals/novena/MiraculousMedal.htm

ewtn.com/library/MARY/CATLABOU.htm

ewtn.com/library/MARY/MEDALMI.HTM

If you wish to confirm the devotion further, then I would suggest asking Fr. Vincent Serpa or another expert on CAF.

I hope I’m not wrong about my advice concerning the placing of the medal. If I am, then I accept any correction given.

No, I have never read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis before.

Also, he is regularly attending a church. He goes to a United Church of Christ church and I go with him. I always make sure that I go to Mass that weekend too though. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if someone else mentioned this before because I didn’t read all the previous posts, but he could be suffering from panic attacks. I have had a few bad ones and when I spoke to the doctor, one of the symptoms she mentioned was waking up in the middle of the night panicking and in fear. Don’t jump to demonic influences so quickly, be parsimonious and see if it is something psychological first.

In any case, I’ll pray for your boyfriend because that must feel horrible.

Oh… my little prayer card had this website:

amm.org/contents.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.