Constantine invented the Roman Calendar?

I’m not too knowledgeable in Church History. A coworker of mine made a statement today that I had never heard before. He said that Constantine invented the calendar that we use today by counting the number of popes from the beginning of the Church. He also said our calendar is not correct. The only correct calendar is that of the Mayan’s and that their calendar ends in the year 2012. He’s thinking that this will be the end of the world.

Has anyone ever heard of this???

:shrug:

Check the encyclopedia. Julius Caesar developed the current calendar some years before the birth of Jesus. It was corrected by Pope Gregory to prevent a slight drift of seasons.

The year numbering was developed about the year 800. As I recall the developer calculated the year of Jesus death by looking for Passover on Friday. He then assumed Jesus was 30 at the beginning of His ministry and thus 33 at the time of His Crucifixion. The assumption that He was 30 is probably wrong. Jesus was probably 2 to 6 years older.

The original Roman calendar started around 753 B.C., but the calendar was very chaotic. 2008 is a leap year, no? Well, the ancient Romans would sometimes have leap months.

And it would seem to me that Constantine had little allegiance to the city of Rome ( and thus little allegiance to its bishop), considering he moved the capital to Byzantium:rolleyes:

Constantine I born February 27, 272 – May 22, 337

The **Julian calendar **is a calendar that was invented by Julius Caesar, the dictator of Ancient Rome, in 46 BC.

The calendar has a regular year of 365 days divided into 12 months, and a leap day is added every four years, making the average Julian year 365.25 days. The calendar was still used by some countries even in the 20th century, and is still used by many national Orthodox churches. The problem is that this calendar creates too many leap days, which means that it gains a day about every 128 years.

In the 16th century, the **Gregorian calendar **was introduced in Europe because it was more accurate with regard to the length of the year, and it also moved the date for the vernal equinox, the first day of spring (or of fall in the Southern Hemisphere) to where it belonged again, on March 21. The Gregorian calendar has 97 leap days every 400 years, while the Julian had exactly 100.

People sometimes use the term Old Style or O.S. to refer to the Julian calendar, with N.S. or New Style referring to the Gregorian calendar

The calendar was made official by Pope Gregory XIII, for whom it was named, on February 24, 1582.

Gregorian
simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Timeline

Julian
simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

If your coworker is going to make up something ridiculous it should be something that cannot be disproved with one Google.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.