Constantine, Whore of Babylon, and Mutually Exclusive Anti-Catholic Claims

As I was recently saying, I read a few years ago about a sociologist who researched bigotry and found that people have no problem holding two mutually exclusive prejudices. For instance, the same person who considers a certain race to be “clannish, keeping to themselves” will simultaneously believe that the same race is “nosey, always butting into other people’s business.” They aren’t bothered by the fact that these claims cannot both be true.

So it’s no wonder that anti-Catholics can believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon which killed the First Century Apostles and simultaneously believe that the Catholic Church wasn’t founded until the Fourth Century. It never dawns on them that these claims cannot both be true – although, when you point it out to them, you see some interesting sputtering and stammering.

Among groups of anti-Catholics, I like to ask them what year they think the Catholic Church began. No two ever agree, so you can sometimes get them to see the conflict among their views that way.

This is a great point.

Similar mutually-contradictory anti-Catholic claims:

1. Catholics believe whatever the Pope tells them to vs Catholics believe many different things and have no real unity

2. Catholics worship Mary vs Catholics worship saints vs Catholics worship statues

3. Catholic teaching is not infallible vs The Bible is infallible vs the Apostle’s / Nicene Creed is infallible

4. Catholics don’t want anyone to know the Gospel vs Catholics have too many icons and images (which was how the illiterate majority learned the Gospel)

etc. etc.

Another one I frequently see:

Catholics think they are the only real Christians and that Protestants are going to hell vs. Catholics are too open to other religions like Islam and Buddhism and think everyone will be saved.

How about Cannibalism!, We are accused of being cannibals at the same time they say the Eucharist is only a symbol and NOT the actual Body Blood Soul and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.:rolleyes:

That is an excellent example. :thumbsup:

Mark Shea has an article about this very thing:

catholicexchange.com/node/48488

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.