"Consumption speaks louder than words" (new motto)

Hi all. The topic was is short enough that I was able to fit it entirely in the thread title … so let me just add that, if you’d like to post a different motto rather than commenting on the aforementioned, please only do so if there is *some *kind of relevance. (I’m not starting this thread to be about every-motto-under-the-sun. :o)

consumption of what? Care to elaborate?

Oh sure, it could be just e.g. what someone choose to eat. (Or it could be what shows/movie someone watches, what radio station someone listens to … or since we’re on a web discussion forum, what posts someone reads and responds to.) Like if someone was always going on about the importance of eating farm-fresh produce, but then you notice that all of his/her meals come from Burger King, his/her words ring pretty hollow.

In other words, you have simply substituted the word “consumption” for the word “actions” in the adage, “Actions speak louder than words.” Which limits it somewhat, because not all actions involve consumption of goods.

I should add that “Eating speaks louder than words” is the original version (and admittedly has a better ring to it) coined by Andrew Taylor in a 1963 conversation with Beatrice Taylor:

Beatrice: Did you like the white beans you had for supper?
Andy: Um huh.
Beatrice: Well, you didn’t say anything.
Andy: Well, I ate four bowls. If that ain’t a tribute to white beans, I don’t know what is.
Beatrice: Well…
Andy: Eating speaks louder than words.
Beatrice: You know, your education was worth every penny of it.

This motto speaks to me. I will never know the true blessing and beauty of eating and drinking the real Body and Blood of Christ, until I partake in it myself.

Mindful consumption comes to mind. whether food, movies, conversations, etc… Any meal for instance can and should be a form of Holy Communion. While eating a cookie, raisin, or drinking a cup of tea or water if done mindfully we can realize that all are a gift from god. When watching a show or listening to music we can realize that our sight and hearing are gifts from god. Not just to know this but to KNOW it, to feel it, to understand it completely. Take a few breaths before eating a meal, or before getting out of bed or turning the ignition on of the car. To be mindful all the time is to honor god. When we pay attention to what we’re doing-eating, watching a movie, etc… we begin to see the **** we put in the body/mind and can then change our behavior. If we’re not mindful we keep doing the same old same old. Blessings-Peace.

It does take “worship” to a whole new level.:thumbsup:

Peace!!!

Good one.

I thought that post was powerful too, but thought about how partaking in the sacrificed lamb is simply doing what is proper in worship.

That consumption does speak volumes. Only if most, myself included, REALLY understood. There must be something to that whole ‘faith if the size of a mustard seed’ thing.

Take care,

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.