Contemplating conversion to catholicism, have some questions

Hello all, I’ve been in and out of religions for some time now. I’ve been contemplating the catholic church for some while now because thats where i believe the truth lies, though i have some reluctance to accept some of their dogma. I know many catholics put great faith in the apparition of Fatima. I also know it is not incumbent on the faith that i accept these apparitions. I am very intrigued by them now and one question that i have is why put so much faith in them and tout that all 3 prophecies came true when they were all written down and revealed to the public only after the events had already come to pass. it sure does call into question their validity. the third prophecy also does not seem to fit with the event surrounding john paul II’s assasination attempt.

paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa070300a.htm

thanks and i hope to stick around for a while and learn about the faith.

If you understand Christ speaks through the Church, then you should put stock in Fatima and not assume they are lying. No?

What parts of the 3rd prophecy do you deny refer to the assassination attempt?

And welcome to the forums. :smiley:

thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

" “…the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him…”"

is that the third secret of fatima? I dont see how that relates at all to the attempt on the pope’s life…

This is really long but is the Vatican’s comments on Fatima.

Maybe this also helps? Cardinal Sodano’s commentary.

Welcome cuban07,

First of all, public revelation ended with the passing of the original apostles…apparitions are private revelations and are binding upon no one except perhaps the person receiving the revelation…

Most apparitions are investigated and found to be lacking…

If the Church investigates and the apparition is found to be truly a spiritual event [as in it does not contradict the beleifs of the the apostles as handed down, fosters devotion to Christ and spiritual renewal - I am paraphrasing here what I understand are things the church looks for - but I a sure that you can find the actual criteria written about] then the Church pronounces that the apparition is ‘worthy’ of belief…

Worthy of belief [acceptable to believe] is just that, the Christian may believe that the apparition occurred. They may practice a pious response to the apparition. However, no catholic is compelled to believe that the apparition occurred nor to conform their life to any requirements laid out in the apparition…

Some people may make you feel compelled to accept these events as Dogma or Doctrine…truly over zealous people may accuse you of herecy for not believeing [or accepting]…but that is an error on their part…* These people are misguided…

On the other side of the spectrum, I have met people who develop a deep Christian spiritualiy in following the teachings of Mary. Mary always points to her Son…Jesus, the Messiah…Mary tells us authentically to “Do whatever He [Jesus] says”…Mary, faithfully hears and says “yes” to God’s calling…humbly submitting to His will…

Like you, I am interested in apparitions. I look to the guidance of the Church in these matters…and I realize that First and primary source of Christian teaching is the Church…we have the Tradition that has been handed down through the Chruch, the Scriptures are a part of that Tradition then we have the early church fathers…private revelations are pretty far down the list for the Christian in the search for truth about Jesus and God…*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.