Contemplation/ Have Faith

Now I’m posting this in Sacred Scripture because it deals with Sacred Scripture.

Could the entire book of the cloud of unknowing be summed up with the words of Jesus “Have faith.”?

What is the book of the cloud?

Could contemplation be explained in the words have faith?

The book is by an unknown author whom wrote a series of books on contemplation; very practical; not for the busy bodied. Not for most. Should only be read when you’re sanctified.

Seems a bit odd to say-we’re never fully sanctified since that’s an unending process. And sanctification would be a goal of contemplation anyway, no?

For example the rosary is a means of sanctifying yourself.

Yes, it is about how to grow in holiness by faith and loving the God of consolations rather than the consolations of God.

2 Likes

why, is it new age type stuff

1 Like

New age is an abomination. This was wrote by a humble monk.

You don’t know that because it was written by anonymous. I have been reading a little about it.

apophatic mysticism, it’s a kind of mysticism that focuses on knowing God through negation, elimination, forgetting, unknowing, without images or symbols or signs. All such thoughts and symbols are to be eliminated. This is opposed to kataphatic mysticism which underscores finding God in all things and reaching God through creatures, images, symbols, etc.

1 Like

The latter seems like it would be prudent to avoid. The kataphatic. I haven’t had much success with it at least.

Are you looking to learn contemplative prayer

No. Contemplation is reflecting on the One you love. Faith is part of it. But not entirely.

The book is by an unknown author whom wrote a series of books on contemplation; very practical; not for the busy bodied. Not for most. Should only be read when you’re sanctified.

Sounds like an elitist wrote it. Did he say, “don’t read it til you’re sanctified.” I don’t care much for elitism.

1 Like

No an elitist did not write it he just recommends people be holy to read it and my best attempt to convey that message was be sanctified, not knowing what it means.

Yes I am trying to learn contemplative prayer.

1 Like

I doubt you should do this on your own. You should seek out various “wisdom schools.” Fr Keating’s Contemplative Outreach uses the Cloud of Unknowing as the basis for his method. So does the Episcopalian Rev. Cynthia Bourgeault’s Wisdom Way of Knowing school. I believe that Fr Richard Rohr’s does too, though I’m least familiar with his practices. It’s probably a good idea for you to not go at this alone. Fr. Keating’s ministry is large enough that they might have local chapters where you are (if you’re in the U.S.).

Contempllative prayer is a prayer we strive for in my religious order. Just remember true contemplation is a gift from God. We can well pray vocal amd meditative prayer ourselves. We can do Lectio Divina ourselves, but true contemplation is a gift.

And a journey.

Start with really good vocal prayer, that means slow unrushed Rosary for example. Get that right first, make it meaningful. And our Mass Responses.
Meditative prayer is like lectio Divina. You might pick a verse in the Bible and meditate on it. Thats next after really mastering vocal prayer. That also needs to be achieved.
Contemplative prayer can be started by contemplating God, saying a prayer like Jesus Christ have mercy on me , a sinner, then veing silent and contemplating God. All thoughts, be they from the diabolical as distractions, or even if you think they are good and of a prophetic or revelatory nature MUST BE PUSHED AWAY when practising contemplative prayer.

1 Like

Please keep talking. Carmelite?

no, not Carmelite :slightly_smiling_face:

please share

1 Like

I agree that it’s a journey, which implies both time and work put in. It is a gift, but I doubt that it implies exclusivity (as in, a gift given to a rare few). To think that contemplation can be accessed by only a rare few is, likely, monastic mythology. Contemplation is a gift in the way that your moment-to-moment existence is a gift (Aquinas) or the grace upon grace that God bestows upon us is a gift (John chapter 1).

But I really like your recommendations here. Contemplative prayer almost certainly needs to build on prior levels, to include vocal, meditative (rosary) and lectio (meditative-contemplative).

1 Like

Hmmmm… Faith means Faith…

. .as in Believing say a TEACHER LIKE JESUS

and thus accumulating a body of Knowledge AND Understanding,

which comes as a result OF said Faith/Belief…

From that - one must not merely read, listen or even Know and Understand

One must DO what is being asked with respect to one’s Mind and Heart and Behavior

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.