Contemplation prayer

Contemplation, what is it? How do I do it, do I have to be advanced meaning past vocal and meditation form of prayer or can I start right away? Can i replace contemplation with a vocal prayer of the chaplet of the precious blood… it’s hard for me to do at night so I want to do something equally or greater with less effort so I can sleep and go to daily mass the next morning

There’s acquired contemplation and infused contemplation. You can practice and work on getting to acquired contemplation… infused contemplation is where God takes over.

As far as acquired contemplation: lift your mind and heart to God. No words are necessary. In fact, words might get in the way.

Google “Catholic acquired contemplation definition” or something like that, and do a little bit of research. That’s where I started! Be sure you read Catholic sources, tho. There’s lots of weird stuff out there on the interwebs.

1 Like

Man is made for contemplation, it is not something reserved for an elite few.
In fact most children are natural contemplatives.

You can’t replace contemplation with words but vocal prayer certainly frees the mind for contemplation. Contemplation is talking to God in silence if you will. But when we try to be silent before God, we’re naturally tormented by all kinds of thoughts. Vocal prayer helps us turn our minds to God. However, vocal prayers are only a means and not the end.

Pick a time that’s best for you. We all have our favorite times during the day. If you attend daily mass, sometime before or after the mass would be ideal for contemplation. You have already been fed with the readings and the Son of God himself. That makes contemplation a lot, lot easier.

Yes, make sure the contemplation is Catholic and by that I mean that remember the God you’re looking for has already found you. You don’t need techniques or anything. Just sit before the crucifix and contemplate God’s great love for you. If you’re getting distracted, by all means, say a vocal prayer.

1 Like

You can’t replace contemplation with words but vocal prayer certainly frees the mind for contemplation. Contemplation is talking to God in silence if you will. But when we try to be silent before God, we’re naturally tormented by all kinds of thoughts. Vocal prayer helps us turn our minds to God. However, vocal prayers are only a means and not the end.- so say i start off with vocal prayer and I’m tired, can I go to bed with contemplation prayer rather than vocal prayer. What does vocal prayers are only a means not the end

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.