Contemporary Christian Music

I’d like to know what contemporary Christian music people like to listen to. I’d like to limit it to non-Catholic for now so that I can start a thread on that alone a bit later.

I’ve listened a lot to the late Rich Mullins as well as Third Day. Anybody have any other good suggestions?

I really like Steven Curtis Chapman. I rarely find any of his lyrics to be against any Catholic teaching, and he has some very profound lyrics.

I also enjoy Michael W. Smith, especially his Worship CDs. He has a “Lord Have Mercy” that is beautiful, along with “The Wonderful Cross” – I think he may be heading toward Catholicism!! I’ve also heard him quote St. Francis!

Jennifer Knapp is one of my favorite musicians, Christian or otherwise (she is a Christian artist). She’s on an indie record label, so she isn’t heavily marketed, but that means she has a lot of control over her work. Her songs are very faith-filled and strong, and she’s a talented singer and guitarist.

I like Rich Mullins too. His passing was a great loss to the CCM world.

I like Jars of Clay, just heard one of their CD’s the other day and was impressed.

We have a bunch of Michael W. Smith CD’s, along with Petra and DCTalk.

If you like Third Day, then you might give a listen to Delirious? Their CD “King of Fools” is superb. Their worship music is nice, too.

Personally, I prefer Christian musicians who are just trying to make good music, influenced by their beliefs, but not explicitly dwelling on religious themes. My favorites and their best CDs (in parenthesis) include the Southern-rock band “Vigilantes of Love” (“Summershine” and “To the Roof of the Sky”); the art-pop band “Over the Rhine” (“Patience” is a perfect CD); the folk singer Jan Krist (“Colors” is another perfect CD); and the moody rock of “Starflyer 59” (“Leave Here a Stranger” and “Old”)

** just a note – Rich Mullins went through RCIA a few years before he died. He decided not to convert in the end but he always had a great love for the Catholic church and the liturgy.

Rich Mullins, Wayne Watson, Jars of Clay, Michael Card, Michael W. Smith, Rebecca St. James, etc. etc. I was raised Southern Baptist so most of my fovorite things seem to be Protestant singers from the 80s and 90s – I haven’t heard any “contemporary” Catholic singers.

I too love Christian music and listen to it and EWTN. My favorite is 4-Him, but I also enjoy Avalon, Rich Mullins, Steven Curtis-Chapman, Michael W. Smith, Kathy Triccoli, and a bunch more. I started listening to Christian music as a teen when I was a Protestant, I even went to a few concerts—I saw Petra once, Sandi Patti, Amy Grant.

I think it helps keep me focused on God throughout the day and while I am driving.

chris

I love Christian music! I was just at a christian music festival, and it was so much fun. My favorite bands are Relient K, Supertones, Jars of Clay, Third Day, Five Iron Frenzy, Insyderz. My favorite I think is Relient K because there songs are funny.

I also love Christian music. I started listening about 3 yrs. ago and now only listen to it (except for catholic radio of course). We are fortunate to have a great Christian radio station in town.

Some of my favorites are:

Mercy Me
Lincoln Brewster- "Lord, I lift your name on high"
Steven C. Chapman
Also, a second for Jennifer Knapp

It is the best to see my kids (age 5 and 3) singing worship songs in the backseat!

Gatr0201- was the festival you attended in Oshkosh, WI- Lifefest??

Does anyone know which bands (if any) are Catholic? I think LaRue is. I heard an interesting interview on Al Kresta last week about the discrimination against Catholic bands that exists in the Christian music industry.

I did not go, but had friends who went. I guess it is great. :slight_smile:

[quote=keith2002]I’d like to know what contemporary Christian music people like to listen to. I’d like to limit it to non-Catholic for now so that I can start a thread on that alone a bit later.

I’ve listened a lot to the late Rich Mullins as well as Third Day. Anybody have any other good suggestions?
[/quote]

I love Mercy Me!!

Casting Crown is good too!!!

I love Rich Mullins, too! Also Michael W. Smith (his all instrumental CD is awesome), and Plus One (fantastic harmony group).

Judy

Crispin, great band for any youth event, I believe one member of the Newsboys recently went thru RCIA and became catholic.

[quote=juno24]I love Rich Mullins, too! Also Michael W. Smith (his all instrumental CD is awesome), and Plus One (fantastic harmony group).

Judy
[/quote]

Hey! My brother used to live downstairs from one of the guys from Plus One. Nice group of guys!!

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]Hey! My brother used to live downstairs from one of the guys from Plus One. Nice group of guys!!
[/quote]

They seem like a nice group of guys, from what little I’ve read of them. I don’t usually like “boy band” types, but I heard one of their songs on Touched By an Angel several years ago (at the moment, the title escapes me), and I just fell in love with their sound. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_24.gif

Have a great day,
Judy

IMAbeliever, No I went to Sonshine which is in Willmar MN. I would have went to the one in Oshkosh but my brother was getting married that weekend. Next year I want to go to that one.

I like Jump5 (Christian Steps!)…and Avalon (Low-key and not as fun Christian ABBA!)…and ZOEgirl (No witty thing on this one)…I prefer the more uptempo pieces compared to the slower ones…but this one Jody McBrayer song (of Avalon)…called uh…“To Ever Live Without Me” is a tear-jerker for me. Then again, it was because of that type of music that made me explore religion.

How about Randy Travis?
His last two albums were inspirational/gospel.

[quote=IMAbeliever]Does anyone know which bands (if any) are Catholic? I think LaRue is. I heard an interesting interview on Al Kresta last week about the discrimination against Catholic bands that exists in the Christian music industry.

I did not go, but had friends who went. I guess it is great. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

There are ‘a few’ Catholic artists who are played on Christian radio, however, the fact that they are Cathoic is secretly shunned.
Rachel Lampa, Kathy Trocolli are two that I know of.
Want more info on Catholic artists and bands:
www.sacredheartradio.net.

I’ve pretty much stopped listening to the Christian music station here…because they OVER PLAY the songs and rarely play any variety! Yuk! :eek:

It is just a shame that even in ‘Christian’ radio there is discrimination among Christians.

go with God!
Edwin

[quote=Naphali]** just a note – Rich Mullins went through RCIA a few years before he died. He decided not to convert in the end but he always had a great love for the Catholic church and the liturgy.

[/quote]

How do you know this? I heard he was fully intending to enter the church but died two days before he was confirmed… :confused: :confused: :confused:

dream wanderer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.