Continual Abdominal Pain....Prayers Please

Anyone ever experience anything like this? For the past four months, I have been having continual stomach pain and nausea. Some days it is less bad than others, but it is always there. Problem is, doctors cannot figure out what is wrong. I went in for an ultrasound of my liver, kidneys, spleen, appendix, pancreas, and gallbladder…everything “seemed” normal.

At any rate, I’m miserable lately and I have been missing college classes right and left because of it. I am so concerned about my grades, as I have maintained an excellent GPA for the past two years and I really do not want it to start going down hill because of this. I’m a 20 year old female…I want to enjoy my life and not be so sick all the time. :frowning:

The only thing I can think of is that I have been going through a huge amount of stress and depression, and perhaps that is what is triggering all of this. At any rate, have any of you ever gone through anything like this? Also, please keep me in your prayers…I’m more concerned about my grades than anything else, lol.

God bless

Of course we can’t offer a diagnosis on the forums. Have they considered irritable bowel syndrome? Check out Medlineplus.gov for your symptoms. My son has this and it’s miserable, but there are things that can help.
You might have a food allergy. Common diet problems might be dairy, wheat, eggs, shellfish. Some people have had good relief eliminating wheat or dairy from their diets. Many people are lactose intolerant without realizing it.
Maybe a good, up to date nutritionist or a gastroenterologist could help you.

Dear Dancer,
Viki has some excellent ideas. I’d like to add my two cents. You might have hit on the cause yourself.
You mentioned stress. Add depression, anxiety, and the pot starts to boil. I know, I was staying in the hospital with my wife for six weeks before she went “home” Just before she passed away, I had a major heart attack, wound up with triple bypass open heart surgery.
Point is, that stress, and anxiety can indeed keep your stomach from digesting the food you eat, no matter what it is.
Tell you what I’ll do. I’ll go online and enter your name in the world wide prayer center, and give them your symptoms, and they will all pray for your health. The grades will just have to wait until you are healthy enough to tackle that workload again. One step at a time.
I’ve been where you are, Dancer. And, it’s not a good place to be. Your body is reacting to outside stresses, and rebelling.
May the Blessed Sacrament take over your life, and make it His. His leadership is unequaled.
Tom (75yrs old)

What kind of diet do you have? Over the past few years, I had stuck to a high protein diet, eating lots of spinach and other dark green veggies, and taking a multivitamin pack every day (the kind that has like eight different pills in it). Turns out I had the perfect diet to develop kidney stones. I got hit with three stones at once. It was horrible. I needed surgery to get the big one out, but I’m still dealing with two small ones. Doc said it could take months for them to pass.

Anyway, my point is that if you have the right kind of diet, you can actually give yourself kidney stones, regardless of your age. A kidney stone can cause abdominal pain for quite a while, so I figured I would mention it. Unfortunately an ultrasound probably won’t detect it, and you would have to get an x-ray or MRI, and those are to expensive to have done just to “check and see.” But I figured I would at least mention the possibility.

I second the possibility of a food allergy. The body can be weird sometimes and you can eat something for years and years without any problems, and them bam! next thing you know it’s like you’re eating poison.

Good luck! I hope you get it figured out.

I will gladly pray for your health issues and I know that God will take care of you. Since you have been tested and seen by physicians and seem to have “normal” tests results why not focus on managing and reducing your stress levels and see if that helps. At your age and under the circumstances stress can cause a multitude of health issues including what you have described. Stress management techniques are easily learned and with practice can relieve some health issues. Might I suggest you turn to the health nurse/clinic at your school for some advice and suggestions on how to get started. I hope you will continue to keep us posted and I will continue to pray my favorite prayer for you.

Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Not fun! Sounds like you need a full work up from a gastroenterologist and maybe an allergist to determine food sensitivities and digestive disorders. And, considering the things you have mentioned elsewhere, perhaps a therapist, psychiatrist, or psychologist to work on coping strategies for stress and facing past trauma. You have been going through a lot, and that is definitely unkind to the digestive system. It can definitely aggravate underlying medical issues.

We are all praying for you.

My daughter (22) has been going through the same thing, they can’t find any cause-- yet. She’s been to the gastroenterologist and been scoped from both ends. Everything looked fine though.

The Dr. said that this can sometimes be caused by a damaged nerve in the abdomen- but they haven’t gotten to the point of talking about how we determine if that’s the cause.

ETA: They’ve put her on a couple of different diets (gluten free etc.) and it doesn’t seem to be related to any food type.

My son went through this last year with severe abdominal pain. We tried changing his diet, using Prilosec, nexxum and nothing seemed to help. It was finally diagnosed through biopsies of his stomach and small intestine during a scope. He had an inflammation of the lining of the small intestine. His inflammation is triggered by allergies, but the pain is also stress sensitive. He has been on medication and learned relaxation techniques through biofeedback which has made a tremendous difference. He still has a few flareups, but now he control with his medicine. I pray you will be able to find what is causing your pain.

Please consult a doctor. We cannot permit members to seek out nor offer medical advice on CAF.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.