Contraception in certain circumstances for married catholics?

My wife and I have 3 kids, nfp failed thanks to her irregular cycles (but 3 beautiful children), and now we simply cannot afford to have any more.

What can we do? Sex is a beautiful expression of our love but now cannot have any for fear we may have children we cannot afford to have. Is contraception even permissible in a situation like this??? So stressed. Want to continue this expression of my love, but cannot for fear of mortal sin despite already having children and good intentions.

[quote="TFC78, post:1, topic:321103"]
My wife and I have 3 kids, nfp failed thanks to her irregular cycles (but 3 beautiful children), and now we simply cannot afford to have any more.

[/quote]

I would suggest you work with your NFP instructor to understand where your charting went wrong, or perhaps pursue a different method. Which method are you using?

What can we do?

[/quote]

Use more conservative rules of NFP if you have a serious reason to postpone pregnancy.

Is contraception even permissible in a situation like this???

[/quote]

No.

Contraception is intrinsically evil. There are not any circumstances in which it is moral.

The Pill is okay if it is prescribed for a severe medical condition that doesn’t have to do with contracepting. But doctors who research such conditions have found better solutions that actually solve the problems rather than mask the symptoms with a pill.

There are different NFP methods and some are effective, while the rhythm method (some people think NFP is the rhythm method) isn’t. Try talking with a NFP instructor or a doctor who promotes NFP. Irregular cycles make the rhythm method ineffective (rhythm method assumes every cycle is the same length), but NFP is about figuring out when your wife ovulates… and from there it’s math not magic because sperm and egg cells do not live an entire month.

What can we do? Sex is a beautiful expression of our love but now cannot have any for fear we may have children we cannot afford to have. Is contraception even permissible in a situation like this??? So stressed. Want to continue this expression of my love, but cannot for fear of mortal sin despite already having children and good intentions.

[/quote]

What 1ke said..

Some places that may be of interest to you:
Let’s be clear here, no one is suggesting, though we have been accused of it, that women become “breeding machines” or that couples should have as many children as humanly possible. There can be serious reasons for a couple to avoid pregnancy, but artificial contraception is not a necessity for doing so. A woman does not ovulate every day of the month and modern methods of natural family planning can determine with almost absolute certainty when a woman is ovulating so that, if a couple has a serious reason for avoiding pregnancy, they can avoid intercourse during that period and then take advantage of the natural cycles of infertility to engage in marital intercourse. Surely it is not impossible for a couple to abstain from sex for a few days out of the entire month. Unlike birth control this method regulating birth upholds the beauty and sanctity of the female body and the marital act and allows couples to cooperate with God—rather than taking their fertility and the matters of life into their own hands.
all.org/article/index/id/OTAyNw/

I did a bit of research on that above link I gave you (all.org) and came up with these:
The Creighton Model FertilityCare™ System (CrMS) is a standardized modification of the Billings Ovulation Method. creightonmodel.com/
... a true method of family planning . . . a method that can be used in two ways,** to achieve, as well as, avoid pregnancy.** These principles make this system distinctly different from contraception, artificial or natural...

The Pope Paul VI Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction is building a culture of life in women's health care through its major developments — Creighton Model FertilityCare System and NaProTechnology.
popepaulvi.com/

To find a Natural Family Planning ONLY Doctor:
onemoresoul.com/

They are all in keeping with Catholic Church teaching.

[/quote]

Am just curious as to why you cannot afford to have any more?
I really don't think a 4th child would be more expensive than the 3 you already have.
Are you concerned about the cost of pregnancy and delivery? Or extra food, clothes, etc? Some people worry about the cost of college, but that really shouldn't be a concern.
I really wish my kids had had more brothers and sisters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.