Contraception key in climate change fight: Gore and Gates

CNBC:

Contraception key in climate change fight: Gore and Gates

Stopping overpopulation is one way the dangers of climate change can be mitigated, according to two of the most prominent believers in global warming. Former Vice President Al Gore and Microsoft founder Bill Gates said at the World Economic Forum in Davos that contraception is a key in controlling the proliferation of unusual weather they say is endangering the world.
“Depressing the rate of child mortality, educating girls, empowering women and making fertility management ubiquitously available … is crucial to the future shape of human civilization,” said Gore, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for his work on global warming.
Gore said Africa’s population is expected to surpass India’s and China’s by the mid-21st century and will be more than both combined by the end of the century.

Though Gore said corporations collectively are coming around to the dangers of global warming—a condition that has been the subject of fierce dispute—they still too often treat the atmosphere “like an open sewer.”
“These extreme weather events which are now 100 times more common than 30 years ago are really waking people’s awareness all over the world, and I think that is a game-changer,” he said.

Likewise, Gates said progress is being made, particularly in terms of managing their way through natural disasters.

He, too, made a pitch for birth control as a way to reduce excess population that generates pollution, which in turn creates unusual weather events.
“If you get the health improved, if you get the availability of contraceptives, then families will voluntarily choose to have less children,” Gates said.
Both men spoke as the U.S. East Coast battles a brutally cold, snowy winter—while the weather at Davos, Switzerland, actually has been warmer than usual.

Gee, there’s nothing like the global 1% deciding that there are too many irresponsible poor folk breeding. Of course Mr Gore’s carbon footprint probably exceeds that of entire African villages or Brazilian favelas.

The guiding principle of the modern progressive is the world would be a lot better off if we could just limit the number of black and brown babies born into it.

The extents that the greens of the left go to to denigrate the value of human life vis a vis everything else in the universe is absolutely ghoulish.

Call me crazy, but I suspect that if somebody had blown up Davos while all those guys were there it would have had a MUCH more beneficial impact on the environment than anything they actually discussed.

Not that I’d endorse such a thing, of course. Violence is never the solution. It’s just an illustration of how ridiculous and hypocritical these guys really are.

The real data is clear: Industrialized nations with stable and just governments have replacement or below fertility rates WITHOUT the need for condescending contraceptive campaigns or handouts. What third world nations need is good infrastructure and good governments. Achieve that and the rest will take care of itself. Achieve that and it won’t be long at all before the global problem we’ll face is avoiding calamitous population DECLINE. Look it up, every single industrialized nation on earth with a reasonably just governmental system has a fertility rate at or below replacement levels (i.e. zero internal population growth). It’s only those countries still predominantly made up of subsistence agriculture that have the high population growth rates.

“Depressing the rate of child mortality, educating girls, empowering women and making fertility management ubiquitously available … is crucial to the future shape of human civilization,” said Gore, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for his work on global warming.

Huh. You’d think increasing the rate of child mortality would also achieve his goals.

I’ll assume that’s step 2. I’ll also note that both these mean are way way out of their lanes.

Oh, and people who are advocating for less people can always start with themselves.

Dear Bill Gates and Al Gore,

Bugger off and leave us alone. Keep your little girly eugenic programme to yourselves.

Yours respectfully,
The people of Asia and Africa. :smiley:

The arrogance of those two self-appointed social engineers renders me speechless. Which is a good thing, because if I were to speak, what would come out wouldn’t be so nice. :mad:

Not to mention the irony of two rich white guys who think they’re enlightened being completely “paternalistic” when they think they’re being “progressive.” Ugh.

poisoning people is not the way to go (and yes, the PILL is poison (artificial hormones) as it has terrible side effects AND the longer a woman is on it, the higher her chance for getting Breast Cancer is).

Not to mention the water supply, where the local fauna and people unexpectedly drink the contaminated water.

You know, there are so many conspiracy theories out there about how the 1% want to destroy the fabric of society and enslave the human race under a single world government. When you hear these types open their mouths about this stuff, added with all of the other consistent attacks on traditional aspects of society on which civilization was built, you start to wonder how much of it is theory.

As a political major myself (MA on related field), I always wonder, would the same cut on carbon emissions be not achieved by the Western people, agreeing on reducing the amount of our consumption, lets say for starters to the level of average Indian/Chinese person. Clearly its a matter of once again, Political Will.

Besides I do believe in reverse population bomb, with gendercide prominent in India and China. Not to mention in Western world voluntary casual abortion and contraception on demand. I think say by 2050 we are sorely noticing the fact that there are too few people to keep the economy running.

A couple of misguided and lost souls…
As our pastor stated on Christmas,as the birth of the Christ Child brought new hope to humanity,so now does every new child brought into the world.:slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be faster to cut carbon emissions if the first world became third world again?

So decreasing our brain pool will help us come up with better and more solutions to efficiently eliminate causes of pollution? Right…

But maybe that’s the point; social darwinism under the guise of compassion. Less people on the planet, especially less poor people, means a less “wasteful” world where we waste resources on the “little people”, people who in the end are only parasitic and take away existence from the more “deserving”. After all, poor people don’t contribute anything to society, so we might as well get rid of them altogether. The best way to help the poor is to extinguish them.

And people say we’re a “civilized” society. :rolleyes:

It is headed that way.

Yes, exactly! you hit the nail on the head.
Just got done watching the movie “Children of Men” again over the weekend. I haven’t read the book but plan to. (I hear the movie has the Christian themes removed).
This should be required reading for these people.

Children are the future. If we had the 56 million children that were aborted since 1973 in this country alone I suspect we wouldn’t have the problems with our economy and social security that we have now.

:thumbsup:

When I say that ‘greenism’ is ALWAYS the precursor to artificial contraception and abortion, no one believes me.

I’m right nevertheless.

Where is the proof of overpopulation?

Example: If you put all 7 billion Earth Inhabitants in the State of Alaska,

each person would have an average of 2,271.60 square feet of land.

That area would be large enough to build a 4 bedroom house

for each of the World’s 7 billion inhabitants!

overpopulationmyth.com

I have read that there is an increasing problem of underpopulation, not overpopulation as half the world has a fertility rate below long term replacement level.

Al Gore has 4 children, and Bill Gates has 3 children. The average American fertility rate is 1.9 births per women. Of course there is nothing wrong with having more children the average, but neither of those men are in a position to lecture about ‘fertility management.’

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.