Contraception taught in Catholic Schools

should contraception be taught at all in Catholic schools?

Yes it should. “This is the pill, this is how it works. This is a condom, this is how it works. This is NFP (which can be used with a contraceptive mentality), this is how it works. This is Church teaching, this is how it works.” It should be done at an age-appropriatye level, perhaps first year of highschool.

What do you mean by taught?

If you’re asking whether kids should be told that it exists, then I’d say that at a certain age (High School?), yes, along with information about what the Church teaches and (more importantly) why it teaches that.

If you’re talking about positively advocating its use, then I’d say no, as it is a Catholic school.

I tend to agree… in today’s world it’s important to be properly educated about what’s going on in the world in order to be able to defend the faith entirely.

As long as the *entire *truth (medical, emotional, spiritual) is taught along with it.
This is the pill - this is how it harms a woman’s body and why it’s called an abortifacient.
This is a condom - this is why it degrades women and blocks full unity within the marital embrace.
etc… etc…

since any school or RE program that encourages open discussion as part of its classes for Jr & Sr High school students is going to encounter questions about contraception and every other aspect of sexuality, marriage, family life etc., they had better be prepared to handle them. These topics should be taught in the context of their normal place in the curriculum.
the physical aspects as part of biology and health classes, while hopefully in a CAtholic school, the religion class is covering Catholic teaching on the morality when the commandments and beatitudes are taught, and marriage when the sacraments are taught, the nature of sin and need for redemption and the natural law when creation and the fall are taught, and so forth.

I agree with you… and also with the teaching of TOB would show how meaningful sexuality is in the bounds of marriage only.

Paul

cool thanks was great hearing your replies.

I’m not sure on other Catholic schools, but the Catholic high school i attended, taught all about contraception which was good, but in such away that it basically promoted their use. Not once was i taught about the positive aspects of chastity or what the Church actually teaches about these matters.

Thanks again

Not even in Religion class?

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:4, topic:199769"]
I tend to agree... in today's world it's important to be properly educated about what's going on in the world in order to be able to defend the faith entirely.

As long as the *entire *truth (medical, emotional, spiritual) is taught along with it.
This is the pill - this is how it harms a woman's body and why it's called an abortifacient.
This is a condom - this is why it degrades women and blocks full unity within the marital embrace.
etc... etc...

[/quote]

Well said. I wish that my Catholic high school had done this. I think most of the students graduated without realizing that birth control is against Catholic teaching.

In my final year yes. We got a new R.E teacher who was full on hardcore Catholic haha which was great. every other year it was extremely wishy washy and taught usually by a member of the Phys Ed department who really had no idea what they were teaching. If we did get a teacher from the RE department they pretty much had no idea on the churches teachings and taught it extremely negatively.

We had one RE teacher convert to Islam and another was teaching about the benefits of IVF and wanted to pursue that pathway for herself.

I won't mention when in school because I am unsure of when it should be taught, though late middle school-early high school age seems appropriate to get to the kids before puberty really hits. But much like how Catholic schools approach other religions they should also teach contraception though a bit more cautiously of course. It must be inherent in the curriculum to emphasize the importance in how they all work and why they are all wrong based on Catholic teaching.

By high school it’s going to be too late, 7th grade probably.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.