Contraceptive Activity

My health teacher told me to complete an activity regarding contraceptive options. One of the questions in the activity asks me to tell my opinion on what contraceptive option is the best for teens keeping in mind the risks of STIs. What should I do now? Is there any way I can answer this question morally and without committing sin? Should I just refrain from answering this question? I am supposed to choose from a list of contraceptive options including condoms, tubal litigation, and an option of “no method”. Should I choose this option as my answer (although I think this would be considered unacademic seeing as the point of the question is to answer with which contraceptive option is the most effective).

depends… if the question is TRULY asking your opinion only then there would technically be no correct answer. if the question is merely asking which form of contraception is most effective then based on the scientific evidence you can make statement regarding that… no matter if it is something you personally would use.

I think the point was to educate people who might want to use these forms, what is available and how it works. Those who choose not to use it also have that right, but it’s still good information to learn.

:thumbsup: Agree.
If they are asking you to rank them in terms of effectiveness, like in a multiple choice exam, then that means you are not being asked about the morality of the methods.

When I taught Reproduction in HS Biology I had a student once who answered the question and then wrote a note on the back going through the whole morality of contraceptive use. I told her I understood her views. Believe me, most teachers are aware of the various religious beliefs that our students have. He/She is just teaching the science syllabus.
In a science class though, opinion questions should be answered based on scientific framework. You would not believe the litany of diverse religious objections you get to most of the topics you teach in science class.

However, if you feel that this is a teachable moment for your peers why not talk to them after class or at lunch? This sounds like a very good opening to share your beliefs. Something along the lines of “What do you think about what we studied in class today?..”

“No method” is a reasonable answer, if by it you mean ‘abstinence’ (which, when properly followed, is 100% effective in preventing conception). :wink:

Abstinence is actually the scientific answer. It is the only 100% effective method for both STIs and pregnancy.:smiley: Yet students always get this wrong, they always think it is a trick question.

In that scenario though, it seems the “no method” means having sex without any means of protection (which would be 0% effective). Tubal ligation would not prevent STIs as well. I think the question is trying to have you classify contraceptive methods in terms of those that prevent pregnancy and those that help to prevent contracting diseases.

^^^ This! :thumbsup:

I used to teach on this subject and there is only one sure way of protection against an STI and that’s abstinence. If you are only allowed to choose from the options available choose ‘no method’ and then go on to explain why - if abstinence is chosen there is no need for a contraceptive method. Any good teacher will understand how you have come to give your particular answer.

My answer would be…ABSTINENCE ! :thumbsup:

First - settle the definitional issue. Is abstinence a ‘contraceptive option’? If it is, then it is easily the most effective at avoiding the risks of STIs.

If abstinence (in a definitional sense) is not a ‘contraceptive option’, the assumption is that sexual intercourse is going to happen, and the question comes down to which contraceptive method is best for **teens **to avoid STIs.

The presence of opinion in the question suggests that of the various options, tradeoffs are involved, eg. effective contraceptives, but don’t protect against STIs, etc.

The reference to STIs suggest the requirement for a “non-contact” between the genital areas, and non-exchange of bodily fluids.

Of the options in the question, I assume “no method” means what is euphemistically called “unsafe sex”? That fails both in contraceptive intent, and in protection against STIs. Tubal ligation is a surgical procedure, not easy to reverse and hence hardly appropriate for teens. Which leaves but one option.

There is nothing immoral in you walking through the logic of this question and answer. I doubt that “abstinence” is in scope, but no reason not to mention it as the most effective means to avoid pregnancy and STIs! But if abstinence is not in scope, you would appear to be expected to arrive at “condoms” as the answer.

I think OP needs to get some clarification on whether abstinence is an allowable answer. When I was in college, in the classes where similar situations came up, we weren’t allowed to pick abstinence or defend it as a choice. Insisting on it meant a wrong answer on a test or a zero on a paper.

As others have noted, Abstinence is the correct answer. It is also a good opportunity to evangelize. If that answer is not allowable, then you could ABSTAIN from the activity.

No contraceptive activity - only abstinence.

That is the Only right answer (though the question is not the right question - for it is like -ok what is the way one should choose to steal from the school…one use a gun…two use a knife…three sneak in at night…)

• and the only way to avoid completely STD"s too boot!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.